The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 02:48pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You don't call it because the rule is there.

Without it, some coach would have his player stand there for a couple of minutes so he could rest his players, have a mini-clinic with the other four players, glare at the officials, ...

My proposal: If there's a held ball (or any other reason to use the AP arrow) with 3 seconds or less to go in any quarter except the 4th, the team with the arrow can "decline" the posession and declare the quarter over. This prevents a team from getting a "wasted" AP posession near the end of a quarter, when they can't take advantage of the play.
Coach subs in 12th man and haves him "push off" to receive the inbounds pass. Foul call, B gets the ensuing throw-in, but A keeps the arrow. It's only a problem if B is in the bonus.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Coach subs in 12th man and haves him "push off" to receive the inbounds pass. Foul call, B gets the ensuing throw-in, but A keeps the arrow. It's only a problem if B is in the bonus.
In your sitch, the throw-in was not legally completed, so no arrow change.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
In your sitch, the throw-in was not legally completed, so no arrow change.
I know! That's why I suggested it. B gets the meaningless possession, while A starts the next quarter.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
NO 10 second count for the Free Throw.

Has any one in the entire universe ever called this??????

I actually had one this year and didn't call it because I knew the coach would go nuts.
I did call this once, in a JV girls game. The girl had the ball for 15 seconds and was still not making any attempt to prepare for the free throw. The Varsity coach went nuts to the point that at half time he came on the court to tell me and my partner how horrible we were. Had to throw him out for the remainder of the game.

I think that it is a necessary evil.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Another one that comes up from time to time is giving a team that's in the bonus the option of shooting free throws when fouled or just inbounding the ball. This eliminates the incentive for the other team to keep fouling when they are behind.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

A1 is inbounding the ball and B2 holds A2 resulting in a foul. I would like to be able to use my judgment to tell if its a common foul for an intentional foul. I think that this type of foul would be called more constantly if the game official has both types of foul available to him rather than just the intentional foul.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Another one that comes up from time to time is giving a team that's in the bonus the option of shooting free throws when fouled or just inbounding the ball. This eliminates the incentive for the other team to keep fouling when they are behind.
Not a fan of this one. In a close gamy the team that is behind deserves to have an opportunity to get the ball back. With no shot clock the team that is leading may never have to lose possession. What is to stop a team from killing he clock after the first made basket? Seems wrong to me.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is FIBA's rule; with an 8-second limit to get across the DL.

It's a great rule.
But you can't have a TO when the ball is live. I agree that the current 8 second rule (no reset just like the shot clock) is better than the old one (similar to NF's).

Ciao
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
With the season winding down, it's time for our almost annual thread regarding rule changes we'd like to see.

Here's an NF change I'd like to see. It's not a big deal, but it seems more equitable. Team A has team control in their backcourt. They request and are granted a timeout. When they subsequently inbound in the backcourt, why not have the 10 second count pick up from where it left off instead of resetting? What's the logic about them getting extra time to get the ball across just because they got a timeout?

Also (and I think I've suggested this every year since Dr. Naismith and I put up the first peach basket) - no overtimes. Of course, it doesn't affect me, since I don't allow them anyway. I'm just thinking of the rest of you.
Change the ruling about headbands, sweatband and hair control devices.....make them take them off.......
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not in FIBA, of course, since team A has ball control: no FT in any case (unless the foul was a U).

But if I were team A's coach, I'd prefer to let the opponents start the fourth quarter, keeping the arrow for a possible held ball near the end.

Ciao
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You don't call it because the rule is there.

My proposal: If there's a held ball (or any other reason to use the AP arrow) with 3 seconds or less to go in any quarter except the 4th, the team with the arrow can "decline" the posession and declare the quarter over. This prevents a team from getting a "wasted" AP posession near the end of a quarter, when they can't take advantage of the play.
I would go for this rule, other than at the end of the 4th Quarter or Overtime. Held ball with 2.9 seconds left, down by 1, and opponent gets the arrow (and ball). Game over? Just make them play the game out as normal. Your rule gives them the advantage of having the ball to start the next quarter, which is fine. But in this case, there is not going to be a next quarter.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIRef View Post
I would go for this rule, other than at the end of the 4th Quarter or Overtime. Held ball with 2.9 seconds left, down by 1, and opponent gets the arrow (and ball). Game over? Just make them play the game out as normal. Your rule gives them the advantage of having the ball to start the next quarter, which is fine. But in this case, there is not going to be a next quarter.
I agree -- that's why I said "any quarter except the 4th"
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Put a mechanic in that looks like a dog jumping through a hoop to signal over the back.
Then, officials who already use this non-signal would feel like trend-setters... real pioneers of the game.

I would also like to have a mechanic to point at my butt and my head at the same time. It would work well in this situation:
I call traveling on team A. We go the other way, and I call traveling on team B. There should be a mechanic there to let the crowd know I "just called it the same on both ends".
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
A1 is inbounding the ball and B2 holds A2 resulting in a foul. I would like to be able to use my judgment to tell if its a common foul for an intentional foul. I think that this type of foul would be called more constantly if the game official has both types of foul available to him rather than just the intentional foul.
You can call a common foul here.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Changes

1. Get rid of all the uniform rules that officials have to enforce during a game.
2. Get rid of all uniform rules that officials have to enforce during a game.
3. Get rid of all rules that turn officials into the fashion police.