The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong Basket...

Player A on team Blue fouls team Red. Same Player A then kicks the same player on Red. We call a personal foul on A as well as a technical on A. This is where we get messed up. We administer the technical foul shots at the wrong basket. We then administer the ball and Red scores 2 points going the wrong direction. Some time goes by and team Blue is driving to the basket (still wrong end) and we have a held ball. We go to the arrow and its pointing toward the Blue bench (Its the 2nd half). This is were I catch our error as I know Blue can't be going to this basket and have the arrow in their direction.

We get the coaches together and just turn everything around. We keep the score and the time the same. Was this the correct thing to do?
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only part of this that might be correctable is the FTs at the wrong basket. However, it appears you'd moved passed the correctable time frame, so you did it right. If it was caught in time, you could wipe the FTs, make Blue shoot them at the right basket, and have a throw-in for Blue for the arrow (the point at which the error was discovered.)
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Red scored a bucket between the time of the technical free throws and the discovery of the mistake in direction. So can I take away free throws (2 points) after Red has scored already?
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
One of the five CEs are shooting FTs @ the wrong bucket.

Did Blue play "proper" defense against Red while they were both going the same, albeit incorrect, way?

If so (and I bet they did), then I think this action counts. The POI will be after a change of possession: we know this because Blue inbounded the ball after Red's basket.

When you said "some time"... do you mean that the clock hadn't yet stopped? If so (and I bet it hadn't), then the FTs for the T are still correctable. if the clock HAD stopped, then the FTs for the T are no longer correctable, and you need to jump to the blue text.

You would have had to re-shoot the FTs for the T at the correct basket, then give the team the ball for the throw-in due the to AP arrow as though they were going in the proper direction, and then point them in the proper direction.
It's not about whether the clock had stopped, it's whether the ball was dead. The ball becomes dead on a made basket.

If it happened like this:
FTs,
Red basket (dead ball)
Tie up (dead ball)
discovery

It's too late. It must be discovered and corrected no later than the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. Since red made a basket after the FTs, it would have had to be fixed during that dead ball.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Yes, but have red re-shoot the FTs at the proper basket.
No, the ball became dead upon red's bucket.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 10:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Snaq is right. I apologize for my error.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

So, if the error was caught BEFORE the ball was inbounded by Blue after Red's bucket (either after the bucket, or anytime preceding it) then we cancel all 4 points, go to the other end, and reshoot the Technical FT's?
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewPV View Post
So, if the error was caught BEFORE the ball was inbounded by Blue after Red's bucket (either after the bucket, or anytime preceding it) then we cancel all 4 points, go to the other end, and reshoot the Technical FT's?
At no point would you cancel the basket by red. If it had happened as follows:

1. FTs at wrong basket by red.
2. Red makes basket.
3. Discovery of error.

You can correct by having the FTs shot at the right basket, then give blue the endline throwin following red's basket.

If, however, the throwin had begun (the new trail had started his 5 second count, for example) before it was discovered, it would be too late to correct the wrong basket FTs.

IOW, once the ball was at blue's disposal for the throwin following the basket by red, it was too late.

Only the FTs are correctable, everything else must stand regardless.