The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Jump Ball positions

I did a game tonight where just before the tip, A1 goes and stands in the corner of the court. He eventually moved up to the circle. I was the umpire in this particular situation.

If he had stayed in the corner, would that be some sort of violation? Does every player have to be in close proximity to the circle?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 03:08am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I did a game tonight where just before the tip, A1 goes and stands in the corner of the court. He eventually moved up to the circle. I was the umpire in this particular situation.

If he had stayed in the corner, would that be some sort of violation? Does every player have to be in close proximity to the circle?
no & no

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The only clearly delineated requirement involving location for the jump ball is that each team must position one player within the half of the center circle farthest from the basket which they are attacking. This player must have BOTH feet within that semi-circle.

The other four players on each team may be anywhere they wish as long as they do not infringe a couple of rules regarding the center circle:
1. They must remain outside of the center circle until the ball is tapped
2. They cannot stand within the same space as another player positioned around that circle and while within three feet of it, nor may they stand directly behind such an opponent.

It is simply a myth that all of the players must remain stationary during the jump ball. The players who are farther than 3 feet away from the center circle may be moving at any speed during the administration of the jump ball, but cannot move into a position around the circle prior to the toss.

The players around the circle cannot move into another position around the circle until the toss.

The players within the circle cannot leave until the tossed ball is touched.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 10:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm interesting in knowing where you got the notion that it would be a violation.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm interesting in knowing where you got the notion that it would be a violation.
People always seem to think that anything which is unusual or that they haven't seen before is illegal. It's a common misconception.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 11:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
People always seem to think that anything which is unusual or that they haven't seen before is illegal. It's a common misconception.
I'm hoping that's the answer and not that some "seasoned/veteran" official passed along that mis-information.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That would be it...
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
no & no
And the question shows another reason why we use AP instead of a jump ball: fewer occasions to apply inexistent rules.

Ciao
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Misconceptions

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm hoping that's the answer and not that some "seasoned/veteran" official passed along that mis-information.
Same a some fans, coaches, and officials who still believe that players must remain behind the midcourt line while freethrows are taken for technical or intentional fouls.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Same a some fans, coaches, and officials who still believe that players must remain behind the midcourt line while freethrows are taken for technical or intentional fouls.
I corrected an official for this last week. We were watching the varsity game after our JV game, and they had a foul as time expired in the 2nd quarter. V coach was livid, and his players were gathered around the bench during H's free throws, but above the FT line extended. Buddy said they should be above half court and we discussed it briefly.

In the locker room, varsity ref confirmed the rule, then said "but it's protocol in HS to move them back to the division line." Fair enough.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In the locker room, varsity ref confirmed the rule, then said "but it's protocol in HS to move them back to the division line." Fair enough.
Nope, not fair at all.

One team gets to huddle near their bench and confer with their coach during these FTs and the other isn't allowed to do the same!
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agreed, and there's no way I'm going to so much as ask them to move behind the line. But I also recognize the politics involved.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed, and there's no way I'm going to so much as ask them to move behind the line. But I also recognize the politics involved.
What politics? You are either supposed to be behind it or your not. It happens to be not, so what am I missing?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
What politics? You are either supposed to be behind it or your not. It happens to be not, so what am I missing?
I'm talking about the politics of correcting a top level varsity official when he says, "This is the rule, but in high school we do it that way instead." I think he was talking about just "herding" them behind the line. I'd be surprised if he'd force the issue if a coach refused; he didn't in this game.

I won't even "herd" them.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 02:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Local association politics, perhaps. (Not AK politicians moving to DC. )