The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Ball positions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51838-jump-ball-positions.html)

bas2456 Mon Feb 23, 2009 02:56am

Jump Ball positions

I did a game tonight where just before the tip, A1 goes and stands in the corner of the court. He eventually moved up to the circle. I was the umpire in this particular situation.

If he had stayed in the corner, would that be some sort of violation? Does every player have to be in close proximity to the circle?

just another ref Mon Feb 23, 2009 03:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 582270)
I did a game tonight where just before the tip, A1 goes and stands in the corner of the court. He eventually moved up to the circle. I was the umpire in this particular situation.

If he had stayed in the corner, would that be some sort of violation? Does every player have to be in close proximity to the circle?

no & no

Nevadaref Mon Feb 23, 2009 03:59am

Quote:

The only clearly delineated requirement involving location for the jump ball is that each team must position one player within the half of the center circle farthest from the basket which they are attacking. This player must have BOTH feet within that semi-circle.

The other four players on each team may be anywhere they wish as long as they do not infringe a couple of rules regarding the center circle:
1. They must remain outside of the center circle until the ball is tapped
2. They cannot stand within the same space as another player positioned around that circle and while within three feet of it, nor may they stand directly behind such an opponent.

It is simply a myth that all of the players must remain stationary during the jump ball. The players who are farther than 3 feet away from the center circle may be moving at any speed during the administration of the jump ball, but cannot move into a position around the circle prior to the toss.

The players around the circle cannot move into another position around the circle until the toss.

The players within the circle cannot leave until the tossed ball is touched.

Raymond Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50am

Quote:

I'm interesting in knowing where you got the notion that it would be a violation.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 582337)
I'm interesting in knowing where you got the notion that it would be a violation.

People always seem to think that anything which is unusual or that they haven't seen before is illegal. It's a common misconception.

Raymond Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 582341)
People always seem to think that anything which is unusual or that they haven't seen before is illegal. It's a common misconception.

I'm hoping that's the answer and not that some "seasoned/veteran" official passed along that mis-information.

bas2456 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:34am

Quote:

That would be it...

eg-italy Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 582273)
no & no

And the question shows another reason why we use AP instead of a jump ball: fewer occasions to apply inexistent rules. ;)

Ciao

OHBBREF Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:14pm

Misconceptions

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 582344)
I'm hoping that's the answer and not that some "seasoned/veteran" official passed along that mis-information.

Same a some fans, coaches, and officials who still believe that players must remain behind the midcourt line while freethrows are taken for technical or intentional fouls.

Adam Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 582369)
Same a some fans, coaches, and officials who still believe that players must remain behind the midcourt line while freethrows are taken for technical or intentional fouls.

I corrected an official for this last week. We were watching the varsity game after our JV game, and they had a foul as time expired in the 2nd quarter. V coach was livid, and his players were gathered around the bench during H's free throws, but above the FT line extended. Buddy said they should be above half court and we discussed it briefly.

In the locker room, varsity ref confirmed the rule, then said "but it's protocol in HS to move them back to the division line." Fair enough.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 582379)
In the locker room, varsity ref confirmed the rule, then said "but it's protocol in HS to move them back to the division line." Fair enough.

Nope, not fair at all. :(

One team gets to huddle near their bench and confer with their coach during these FTs and the other isn't allowed to do the same! :eek:

Adam Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:38pm

Agreed, and there's no way I'm going to so much as ask them to move behind the line. But I also recognize the politics involved.

AKOFL Mon Feb 23, 2009 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 582390)
Agreed, and there's no way I'm going to so much as ask them to move behind the line. But I also recognize the politics involved.

What politics? You are either supposed to be behind it or your not. It happens to be not, so what am I missing?

Adam Mon Feb 23, 2009 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 582430)
What politics? You are either supposed to be behind it or your not. It happens to be not, so what am I missing?

I'm talking about the politics of correcting a top level varsity official when he says, "This is the rule, but in high school we do it that way instead." I think he was talking about just "herding" them behind the line. I'd be surprised if he'd force the issue if a coach refused; he didn't in this game.

I won't even "herd" them.

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 23, 2009 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 582430)

Local association politics, perhaps. (Not AK politicians moving to DC. :eek:)