The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Out of bounds...

I know that the ball is out of bounce for a dribbler who is on or beyond the line even though he may not be in contact with the ball. But say the the player takes a dribble, takes 3-4 steps out of play, and manages to keep his dribble after returning to the court after avoiding an opposing player. Am I to enforce the rule about the dribbler being out of bounds, or the rule that the player leaft the court for unauthorized reason.

Also, if a player is not a dribbler, makes a save for a ball that is going out of bounds, returns to the floor, and if the first to touch the ball. Is that a out of bounds violation?

Thanks...
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewPV View Post
I know that the ball is out of bounce for a dribbler who is on or beyond the line even though he may not be in contact with the ball.
Just add air.

Quote:
But say the the player takes a dribble, takes 3-4 steps out of play, and manages to keep his dribble after returning to the court after avoiding an opposing player. Am I to enforce the rule about the dribbler being out of bounds, or the rule that the player leaft the court for unauthorized reason.

Also, if a player is not a dribbler, makes a save for a ball that is going out of bounds, returns to the floor, and if the first to touch the ball. Is that a out of bounds violation?

Thanks...
Frankly, I can't think of a plausible case of this happening. Can you describe one? Then maybe we can rule on it.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Play 1: Player A dribbling up the sideline. Player B has legal guarding position. Player a bounces ball and it remains in bounds while he takes 3-4 steps out of bounds to get arouns him. He reestablishes position inbounds and contines up the sideline.

Play 2. Player A shoots a long 3. Hits rims and is headed out of bounds. Player A saves the ball after jumping for it. He throws it in play. He lands out of bounds, comes back onto the court of play, establishes and is the first to touch the ball.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 03:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Play 1: Player A dribbling up the sideline. Player B has legal guarding position. Player a bounces ball and it remains in bounds while he takes 3-4 steps out of bounds to get arouns him. He reestablishes position inbounds and contines up the sideline.

Play 2. Player A shoots a long 3. Hits rims and is headed out of bounds. Player A saves the ball after jumping for it. He throws it in play. He lands out of bounds, comes back onto the court of play, establishes and is the first to touch the ball.
1. Get him for going OOB for an unauthorized reason. The dribble is interrupted here, so you can't get him for that, IMO.

2. Play on. There is no first-to-touch provision in high school, and in college it only applies to a player who goes out purposefully.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. Get him for going OOB for an unauthorized reason. The dribble is interrupted here, so you can't get him for that. 2. Play on. There is no first-to-touch provision in high school, and in college it only applies to a player who goes out purposefully.
As we often say here on the Forum, always listen to Snaqwells. Wait a minute, I think I've got that wrong. Where are my car keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)