The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
I disagree as well. What is the ultimate point while officiating? Get the play right! If you know in your mind that something your partner did is completely wrong, you and your "team" will look much better if you come together, figure out what the questionable call was and get it right. When I first started officiating, I had an over and back call that I made incorrectly, and my partner (who was much more experienced at the time) came in and talked with me about what happened. I then owned up to having an IW, and we continued play. I think that the appearance of getting the play right is much more important in the coaches' minds than letting your partner live and die on his/her own. Besides, they will learn what they did wrong whether you let them live and die or if you help them out at the time.

However, this doesn't apply to judgment calls that your partner may make that are questionable. They will have to live and die on calls dealing with their judgment and they will have to explain their reasoning to coaches.
I would agree that fixing an OOB is much easier. You have a distinct point of interruption from which to work from. You simply give th eball to the team that has the mistaken violation called against them.

In this situtation, how do you fix it? Ball went in. You give them the basket? The ball underneath? I don't see a POI there to fix this cleanly. That was why I would have let it go and counseled him later. It's a tough deal.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sometimes a partner needs a little direction.

Hey, that was my partner at the last middle school game I did!
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
I understand your view. Where do you draw the line? There is also no easy POI to fix this with. That's where I would elect to save something like that for a bigger mistake or something that can be easily fixed.
Sure there is, the whistle came after a successful shot. Re-read the OP. POI is to count the basket and give the ball to the non-scoring team. It doesn't get any clearer than that.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:20pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
In this situtation, how do you fix it? Ball went in. You give them the basket? The ball underneath? I don't see a POI there to fix this cleanly. That was why I would have let it go and counseled him later. It's a tough deal.
I guess it could be a HTBT sitch. If you know for sure that the whistle went early (before the shot), then get it right and go with POI. If it's close, go with your gut instincts. It's tough, but I think that I would want to get this right. Oh yeah, and be ready to explain all of this to the coaches because they are going to be confused as h3ll!
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I explained to him that we don't tell the coach when they have one timeout left, by rule, and because if we were mistaken, if they actually have none left, and we grant them a timeout, to find out that there was an error in communication between the table, official, and coach, that there would be a technical foul penalty, which, I'm sure, the coach wouldn't appreciate.
Is that any different than telling him he has none left when he actually has one? I would think he wouldn't appreciate that either. I know what the rule says but that guy you worked with does have a point.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Is that any different than telling him he has none left when he actually has one?
Yes. It's very different. No technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)