View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

help with first year partner

Had a situation the other night that I'm questioning myself about. Boys freshman game, working with first year partner. Actually doing a pretty decent job, but got us into trouble at the end of first half. Visiting team is getting offensive rebound after offensive rebound, had about 5 putbacks, finally got one to go in the basket, partner is lead and he blows the whistle. I'm expecting an and one because I saw the shooter get hacked, but he points the other way. Visiting coach goes crazy, and I have no idea what the call is. I assume travelling and I let it go. Talking to partner at halftime, I ask him what he had, and he had a 3 second violation. Oh boy. I quickly give him a course on the three second violation, making sure he understands that the count resets after the shot, and in this situation there couldn't have been 3 seconds.

My question is, what could I have done differently had I known he had a 3 second violation to begin with? Would it have been proper for me to go discuss it with him and get the call right? Then if so, obviously we can't give the basket and the and one to the visiting team, as this would not have been fair to the home team, as neither one of us initially had a foul call. The only solution i can think of would be go inadvertant whistle and go to the arrow. Is that correct?