The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

3 man T.O. mechanics

We ref primarily with the 2 man crew but are sending a few officials to BU for the regional nirsa tournament this year and so I'm trying to prepare them for 3 man crews. What is the proper positioning for timeouts in the 3 man?

For that matter what is the proper 2 man position, we usually just go to the top of each key. Is that correct?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TheViper
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNH IM Ref View Post
We ref primarily with the 2 man crew but are sending a few officials to BU for the regional nirsa tournament this year and so I'm trying to prepare them for 3 man crews. What is the proper positioning for timeouts in the 3 man?

For that matter what is the proper 2 man position, we usually just go to the top of each key. Is that correct?
Top of the key for a 30 second timeout. On the block on the far laneline for full timeouts.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For 2-man? You're doing it completely wrong then. Our association has told us that the official that administers the TO at the table stands at the spot of the throw-in after the timeout. (Others on here say they do it differently in other areas) The other official stands at the front of the center jump circle for a 30 second timeout and at the back of the circle for a 60 second timeout.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
Top of the key for a 30 second timeout. On the block on the far laneline for full timeouts.
For 2-man or 3-man? For 2-man this is totally wrong. For 3-man it is partially correct. The administering official stands with the ball at the spot it is to be thrown in at. The other two stand at the top of the key for a 30 second TO and on the blocks opposite the benches for a 60 second TO.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

so whats the position of all 3 in a 3 man crew for full and 30 seconds?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so whats the position of all 3 in a 3 man crew for full and 30 seconds?
See my last post.

Administering official stands with the ball at the spot of the throw in. The other two stand either at the top of the keys (30 sec TO) or on the blocks opposite the table (60 sec TO).
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

When you say on the blocks opposite the benches do u mean the blocks furthest from the benches? and do you face the benches during the T.O.?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
. The other two stand at the top of the key for a 30 second TO and on the blocks opposite the benches for a 60 second TO.
That's what he wrote.

Quote:
When you say on the blocks opposite the benches do u mean the blocks furthest from the benches? and do you face the benches during the T.O.?
Yes.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
For mechanics purposes, there is table side and opposite side. The blocks opposite would be the ones that are not table side. Yes, you face the benches so you can see the players. When the first horn sounds, signaling 15 seconds remaining in the TO, you will go to the huddle on your side of the court and remind them that it's time to get going so you can get play started quickly after the 2nd horn.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
For mechanics purposes, there is table side and opposite side. The blocks opposite would be the ones that are not table side. Yes, you face the benches so you can see the players. When the first horn sounds, signaling 15 seconds remaining in the TO, you will go to the huddle on your side of the court and remind them that it's time to get going so you can get play started quickly after the 2nd horn.
How about when your table is on the opposite side of the court from the benches and subs check in at the water fountain near the division line?

2-man time out mechanics switched a couple of years ago.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That's what he wrote.

Yes.
That's what who wrote? Someone one talking about going to the top of the key or blocks in 2-man, I was correcting that. I was asking Viper if he was talking about 2 or 3 man because he wasn't very clear.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 07:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
How about when your table is on the opposite side of the court from the benches and subs check in at the water fountain near the division line?
In that case, you would stand on the international date line facing the north pole and talk to Jon Diebler.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
When the first horn sounds, signaling 15 seconds remaining in the TO, you will go to the huddle on your side of the court and remind them that it's time to get going so you can get play started quickly after the 2nd horn.
Many officials around here are sloppy about this step. I see coaches keeping their players till after the second horn often. I will politely remind them before we get started, "Coach, please break your huddle after the first horn." Haven't had a problem using this approach, and compliance has been excellent.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Many officials around here are sloppy about this step. I see coaches keeping their players till after the second horn often. I will politely remind them before we get started, "Coach, please break your huddle after the first horn." Haven't had a problem using this approach, and compliance has been excellent.
I've noticed around here, I'm the only one who seems to say this as the R in pregame with the coaches. And you're right, it works.