The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

3-man mechanics

Question: if you are the lead and have a block/charge type call right in front of you in the area of the block on the the FT lane ... do you let that call go since the play orginated in the area of the "C" ????

I always hear if the play starts in your zone stay with it.

I have had this happen to me a few times with Veteran officials. It seems to me that have a much better look at the defender and if the defender is set or not.

The call has been made and they have called charge when it was clearly a block. The coaches usually are upset that a guy 15-20 feet away is making a call that is five feet in front of me.

Help?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:24pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Question: if you are the lead and have a block/charge type call right in front of you in the area of the block on the the FT lane ... do you let that call go since the play orginated in the area of the "C" ????

I always hear if the play starts in your zone stay with it.

I have had this happen to me a few times with Veteran officials. It seems to me that have a much better look at the defender and if the defender is set or not.

The call has been made and they have called charge when it was clearly a block. The coaches usually are upset that a guy 15-20 feet away is making a call that is five feet in front of me.

Help?
I do not let the play go without a whistle.

On that particular double-whistle call, my fist goes up and stays up until I move toward and make eye contact with the other partner. We then quickly sort it out. Most times it's the same call.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo

Help?
The 3-person philosophy that I have been taught is that a drive that originates in the C's primary or in the T's primary is their play all the way to the basket for the primary defender. It looks better to coaches if the C or T close-in on the call a little bit so they aren't so far away when they give their preliminary signals.

However, if the dribbler beats his defender and a secondary defender slides over to try to take a charge, that is usually the L's call.

This is something that should be discussed in pregames.

If the C or T has no call (on a crash with the primary defender involved) and the L thinks that a call needs to be made, they need to have a patient whistle and give the C or T the first shot at the call. Then the L can come in and take it. However, when that happens in my games it usually leads to a discussion later. "Why didn't the C or T take it?"
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

The rationale is that the "C" (or "T") has been watching the play from the beginning, refereeing the defense, whereas the "L" has been (supposedly) watching the off-ball play, and would only pick up the very end of the play.

However, I recently did a Varsity Tournament, and we pregamed the "L" was going to come out strong selling the call, and the "C" or "T" on a double whistle was to hold their signal, unless the "L" gave the call up for some reason. We did the whole game that way and had no problems.

So, I don't know what the proper mechanic is now. As the outside official, I'll follow the play into the paint, but that has to be pregamed as to who is going to take the call.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I like the secondary defender part. I have never heard that and that helps!

And I for sure bring this up in the pregame. And am patient with the whistle and signal especially if I hear another whistle.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

You hit the 2 biggest points to me. Pregame it and be patient with the whistle. Above all make sure you get it right. Don't come with a block or charge until you know you are the one that's taking the call.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

3 Person Mechanics

Mick and Z had hit it right on the head. There should be a call by the primary official or by the lead. Make sure if you have a double whistle...don't have a blarge.... I will add a defender does not have to be set. He/She needs to be in good legal guarding position to have an offensive foul.