The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

You Ever Try to Blow Your Whistle....

I'm the R and I handle the opening game toss. I blow the whistle, step in and throw it, then try to avoid the players scrambling. The tip didn't go very for and about 2 seconds after A1 controls it B1 grabs it for a held ball. I immediately blow... well I start to blow but I don't have my whistle in. The two players are starting to look at me waiting for my whistle - as am I. Fortunately, my partner sees my floundering for my whistle and takes over. The HC got a big kick out of it.

Life of a first year ref I guess.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I occasionally have this dream (more like nightmare) that I'm working a game and don't have my whistle! I go to blow a foul, fist goes up and all I hear is pffff!!!!
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
I occasionally have this dream (more like nightmare) that I'm working a game and don't have my whistle! I go to blow a foul, fist goes up and all I hear is pffff!!!!
I had the same dream about two nights ago. I had my whistle in my mouth, but when I blew it I got nothing.

A couple of times this year I have actually blown my whistle out of my mouth when I try to sound it. I have to put it back in and then blow...a little embarassing.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
I'm the R and I handle the opening game toss. I blow the whistle, step in and throw it, then try to avoid the players scrambling. The tip didn't go very for and about 2 seconds after A1 controls it B1 grabs it for a held ball. I immediately blow... well I start to blow but I don't have my whistle in. The two players are starting to look at me waiting for my whistle - as am I. Fortunately, my partner sees my floundering for my whistle and takes over. The HC got a big kick out of it.

Life of a first year ref I guess.
Did a game in Northern Ontario once. Whistle fell out of my mouth just as I went to blow it.

I yelled "Stop". Then signalled the illegal dribble. Everyone laughed. I've also covered for my P before too, in both basketball and football. It's funny when those situations happen.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

A couple of times this year I have actually blown my whistle out of my mouth when I try to sound it. I have to put it back in and then blow...a little embarassing.
I had this happen a couple weeks ago. The whistle went right out of my mouth, it was embarrassing, but still funny.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Did a game in Northern Ontario once. Whistle fell out of my mouth just as I went to blow it.
Does that happen a lot in Northern Ontario?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 02:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Does that happen a lot in Northern Ontario?
It depends... is there anything wrong with that?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 05:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
B15U game a few weeks ago and my partner sneezed! Tweet! IW. Funny as heck!
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 06:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Gyms get cold.
Lips get numb.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I spit out my fox mini without a mouth guard before, sounded like twee-ftttt. Put the whistle back in my mouth and called the violation. Got a good laugh, coach tried to argue that it was a late call. I said, "I tried to whistle the call when it happened but spit out my whistle, you know it was the right call."
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
That actually happened to my partner (too many years ago ): 20 seconds or so to go, throw in for the team up by 2. He handed the ball to the player, immediate foul after the throw just a few steps from him. He raised his fist and blew into nothing.

I was going to lead, but because of the pressing defense I was not already at the baseline, and clearly saw the foul and the raised fist, so I could whistle and everything went smoothly.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Short story, reference to N.O. didn't seem germane unless I was missing something (which happens periodically).
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 11:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
....... coach tried to argue that it was a late call.
When a coach yells about a late call or a late whistle it's the same as them saying good call. If they thought the call was wrong they'd yell that, and early/late wouldn't matter.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

I had a partner who was sucking on a piece of hard candy and thought he was blowing on his whistle but instead ended up spitting the candy across the gym floor. This is one of the several reasons I won't chew gum or anything else during a game!