The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 08:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

“Blow The Whistle on Cancer”

Make a Difference, “Blow The Whistle on Cancer”

Where can an official help fight cancer? On the basketball court. This year, IAABO is joining
forces with the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and the American
Cancer Society during the“Coaches vs. Cancer” crusade. Officials can do their part to blow the whistle
on this disease which affects too many people. To help, all one needs to do is donate up to 25% of
a game fee to this worthy cause. During the week of January 27-February 2, 2008, participating officials
will display their commitment to the campaign by using a blue or pink whistle that will be provided to
him/her once a contribution to the crusade has been made. Please make the court a bit more colorful
the week of January 27th - February 2st. Help IAABO show the athletic community how determined we
are to “Blow the Whistle on Cancer”.

http://www.iaabo.org/Blow%20the%20wh...er!%202007.pdf

Our local IAABO board is behind this 100%.

I challenge other IAABO boards to get involved. Let your board president or secretary know about this campaign.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 08:07pm.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 08:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Make a Difference, “Blow The Whistle on Cancer”

Where can an official help fight cancer? On the basketball court. This year, IAABO is joining
forces with the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and the American
Cancer Society during the“Coaches vs. Cancer” crusade. Officials can do their part to blow the whistle
on this disease which affects too many people. To help, all one needs to do is donate up to 25% of
a game fee to this worthy cause. During the week of January 27-February 2, 2008, participating officials
will display their commitment to the campaign by using a blue or pink whistle that will be provided to
him/her once a contribution to the crusade has been made. Please make the court a bit more colorful
the week of January 27th - February 2st. Help IAABO show the athletic community how determined we
are to “Blow the Whistle on Cancer”.

http://www.iaabo.org/Blow%20the%20wh...er!%202007.pdf

Our local IAABO board is behind this 100%.

I challenge other IAABO boards to get involved. Let your board president or secretary know about this campaign.
Friend of mine was required by his college conference to participate and "buy a pink whistle." He wasn't happy, and I can't say I blame him.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 08:30pm.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 08:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Voluntary ????

From RichMSN; "Friend of mine was required by his college conference to participate and "buy a pink whistle."

It's "voluntary" on our local high school board, for both participating, and for deciding how much you would like to contribute, but our executive board is strongly recommending it. I'm participaing because I want to, but, I'm sure that many will participate because they don't want to "stand" out as a nonparticipant that week when they have to wear a black whistle, while the rest of us are wearing a pink (for girls games), or blue (for boys games), whistle.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Reminds me of my former place of employment where giving to the United Way was "optional." A big thumbs down to the whole thing. (Mandatory giving, that is.)

Last edited by Rich; Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 09:47pm.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Reminds me of my former place of employment where giving to the United Way was "optional." A big thumbs down to the whole thing.
Dont get me started discussing the United Way...
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

That said, I support the cause on a voluntary basis. I'll be getting a pink whistle for my crew for that week (we have 3 girls' games).
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:25am
In Memoriam

It certainly is a good cause, as noted from the recent threads from our fellow officials. There are different ways to support it. A simple contribution is as good as a pink whistle.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Our IAABO Board participates as well. We donate 100% of our game fee.

We don't get any pink or blue whistles though? I'd really like one of those pink ones