The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You Ever Try to Blow Your Whistle.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51613-you-ever-try-blow-your-whistle.html)

Spence Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:27pm

You Ever Try to Blow Your Whistle....

I'm the R and I handle the opening game toss. I blow the whistle, step in and throw it, then try to avoid the players scrambling. The tip didn't go very for and about 2 seconds after A1 controls it B1 grabs it for a held ball. I immediately blow... well I start to blow but I don't have my whistle in. The two players are starting to look at me waiting for my whistle - as am I. Fortunately, my partner sees my floundering for my whistle and takes over. The HC got a big kick out of it.

Life of a first year ref I guess.

vbzebra Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:35pm

I occasionally have this dream (more like nightmare) that I'm working a game and don't have my whistle! I go to blow a foul, fist goes up and all I hear is pffff!!!!

zm1283 Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 578643)
I occasionally have this dream (more like nightmare) that I'm working a game and don't have my whistle! I go to blow a foul, fist goes up and all I hear is pffff!!!!

I had the same dream about two nights ago. I had my whistle in my mouth, but when I blew it I got nothing.

A couple of times this year I have actually blown my whistle out of my mouth when I try to sound it. I have to put it back in and then blow...a little embarassing.

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 578624)
I'm the R and I handle the opening game toss. I blow the whistle, step in and throw it, then try to avoid the players scrambling. The tip didn't go very for and about 2 seconds after A1 controls it B1 grabs it for a held ball. I immediately blow... well I start to blow but I don't have my whistle in. The two players are starting to look at me waiting for my whistle - as am I. Fortunately, my partner sees my floundering for my whistle and takes over. The HC got a big kick out of it.

Life of a first year ref I guess.

Did a game in Northern Ontario once. Whistle fell out of my mouth just as I went to blow it.

I yelled "Stop". Then signalled the illegal dribble. Everyone laughed. I've also covered for my P before too, in both basketball and football. It's funny when those situations happen.

MikeK27 Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 578650)

A couple of times this year I have actually blown my whistle out of my mouth when I try to sound it. I have to put it back in and then blow...a little embarassing.

I had this happen a couple weeks ago. The whistle went right out of my mouth, it was embarrassing, but still funny.

mbyron Thu Feb 12, 2009 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 578653)
Did a game in Northern Ontario once. Whistle fell out of my mouth just as I went to blow it.

Does that happen a lot in Northern Ontario?

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 12, 2009 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 578673)
Does that happen a lot in Northern Ontario?

It depends... is there anything wrong with that?

grunewar Thu Feb 12, 2009 05:29pm

B15U game a few weeks ago and my partner sneezed! Tweet! :eek: IW. Funny as heck! :)

mick Thu Feb 12, 2009 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 578679)

Gyms get cold.
Lips get numb.

shishstripes Thu Feb 12, 2009 06:16pm

I spit out my fox mini without a mouth guard before, sounded like twee-ftttt. Put the whistle back in my mouth and called the violation. Got a good laugh, coach tried to argue that it was a late call. I said, "I tried to whistle the call when it happened but spit out my whistle, you know it was the right call."

eg-italy Thu Feb 12, 2009 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 578643)

That actually happened to my partner (too many years ago :(): 20 seconds or so to go, throw in for the team up by 2. He handed the ball to the player, immediate foul after the throw just a few steps from him. He raised his fist and blew into nothing. :eek:

I was going to lead, but because of the pressing defense I was not already at the baseline, and clearly saw the foul and the raised fist, so I could whistle and everything went smoothly. :)

mbyron Sat Feb 14, 2009 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 578679)

Short story, reference to N.O. didn't seem germane unless I was missing something (which happens periodically).

just another ref Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 578812)
....... coach tried to argue that it was a late call.

When a coach yells about a late call or a late whistle it's the same as them saying good call. If they thought the call was wrong they'd yell that, and early/late wouldn't matter.

NathanRT Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:26pm

I had a partner who was sucking on a piece of hard candy and thought he was blowing on his whistle but instead ended up spitting the candy across the gym floor. This is one of the several reasons I won't chew gum or anything else during a game!