Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:44am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
The most racist situation I have ever been in is working an inner city JV game. I was one of maybe 10 white people in the gym. I was called everything but a white Man. Did my Black partner stand up for me? Did the Black Administrator, Coaches or Security Officer not hear what was being said?

I have worked many times in the rural areas that our association covers with a single Black official in our 3 man crew. Never has there been any crowd activity directed at my Black partner like what I have experienced working inner city schools.

Where is it written that racism is only 1 way?
Don't think anyone said it was. Someone gave some poor examples as a basis of comparison, but there is nothing different in what you posted from what the OP posted.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The most racist situation I have ever been in is working an inner city JV game. I was one of maybe 10 white people in the gym. I was called everything but a white Man. Did my Black partner stand up for me? Did the Black Administrator, Coaches or Security Officer not hear what was being said?

I have worked many times in the rural areas that our association covers with a single Black official in our 3 man crew. Never has there been any crowd activity directed at my Black partner like what I have experienced working inner city schools.

Nowhere on this board.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Why are you asking us? Where did someone say racism is one way?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As I read these posts I just find it utterly incredible that we are even talking about these types of situations in 2009! Amazing, in a sad way. I hope I never have to deal with it. But, as always, the Forum has given me food for thought in case I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
Why?
Just because I haven't seen it or heard it in any of the areas and leagues I've done - ever. I've had my share of name calling, and I suck, and I'm blind, and I missed it, and I don't know the rules, etc. But, it has never degraded to this point....and I just think it's sad to hear that this type of behavior still exists when we're talking about a game. JMO
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Big difference from the OP's complaint. BIG difference.

Yup...........anything racial should be dealt with swiftly, in any situation, anywhere.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I certainly have seen it go both ways. I tossed a black kid one time for calling a white opponent a very insulting racial epithet. Black coach didn't have a problem with it!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
A few years ago, a small rural school. Older man in overalls on the front row tells me I need to "help my boy", speaking of one of my partners... a young black man.
At halftime, my partner asked me why I let him make a racial comment like that. I was a little embarrassed that I had taken it to mean he was young and inexperienced.
I don't blame you for not assuming the worst. Years ago around here most schools got just whoever to call jr. high games, basically anyone who would put on a whistle, with no affiliation with any officiating group. One year I was the senior member of a team at age twenty-something, frequently accompanied by a protege who was about nineteen at the time. I think at first fans honestly took a "He doesn't know any better approach," to the kid. I told my young partner I would be glad when he got old enough that people would give him his own criticism instead of piling it all on me. It was a gradual process. After reading me a list of my own shortcomings on the way out one night, one lady added a postscript: "And your boy was bad, too!"
For the record, all parties involved in the story are white.

Many fans truly know no prejudice when it comes to basketball officials.

"There is no racial bigotry here............ Here you are all equally worthless."**

**Gunnery Sergeant Hartman Full Metal Jacket

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
A few years ago, a small rural school. Older man in overalls on the front row tells me I need to "help my boy", speaking of one of my partners... a young black man.
At halftime, my partner asked me why I let him make a racial comment like that. I was a little embarrassed that I had taken it to mean he was young and inexperienced.
I was in basic training before I found out "boy" was an epithet. I grew up in a small farm town in the middle of Iowa; our only minorities were a Laotian family. It wasn't that I used the term ignorantly, I had never even heard it used in that way.

One guy (a black guy from Montgomery, AL) in our flight took offense when another guy called him a boy (the initial comment may have been innocent, I don't know). After things calmed down a bit, I learned a lesson on southern racial history.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I grew up in a small farm town in the middle of Iowa;... I had never even heard it used in that way.
... I learned a lesson on southern racial history.
I grew up in a small (250 people) farming town in Eastern, Central IL. I knew nothing of racism until I played Jr College basketball with several team mates from inner city Detroit. I went and lived ~month with one of my team mates in the 5 mile drive area of inner city Detroit. My introduction to racism was were I was the minority. That is why I find irony in most racism stories being myopic. To those who took offense, I apologize.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Wasn't there a recent case in a pro sports league (NFL?) where an athlete was called "boy" by a game official?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Wasn't there a recent case in a pro sports league (NFL?) where an athlete was called "boy" by a game official?
I think it was baseball, and I don't know that it was verified.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I think it was baseball, and I don't know that it was verified.
Found it. It was Baltimore Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle claiming that an NFL official called him "boy". I remember that the news reported that Samari said that the official "never played football". I remember thinking how he would know the official hadn't ever played football. A pretty dumb comment, imho.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Found it. It was Baltimore Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle claiming that an NFL official called him "boy". I remember that the news reported that Samari said that the official "never played football". I remember thinking how he would know the official hadn't ever played football. A pretty dumb comment, imho.
I was thinking of the Milton Bradley incident, I think. Bradley claimed he'd been taunted by the ump. I must have confused the two.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was thinking of the Milton Bradley incident, I think. Bradley claimed he'd been taunted by the ump. I must have confused the two.
Aww, poor Milton. He's always been such a saint.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

If no one else will say it, I will say it. You were called a white man and you were offended? Really??

I get identified all the time by my race and I do not get upset, nor do I consider the reality of that identification as racist (because it has nothing to do with racism BTW). It is not the identification that is problem; it is a slur or a stereotype that is offensive.

And I bet that most people here that are white, it they choose to work in places that did not look like them, they would pass. I do not have that choice and I live in a highly racially mixed area where most of the people of color in the state lives and if I am assigned in a place where only people of a certain race that look likes me takes place, it is rather rare. A vast majority of time of my games I am just about the only Black person in the gym (players, coaches, fans and administrators).

Peace