The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

We had an official this weekend who made 15-20 carry calls in a game that was played like any other game I have coached this past year, ie.e, there were probably a couple that could have been made or passed on, but nowhere near double figures on carries. The calls mainly favored us as our opponents got nailed more than we did. He also called travelling on the commencement of the dribble, and from talking to him, the best I could ascertain was the ball had to hit the floor before the pivot foot came up?! Partner never made either of these calls the entire game.

I can't do much with this type of thing, and both teams were clearly affected and both coaches perplexed. Can/do you address this with a partner who is clearly calling a different game than any other official in your local area?
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 02:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
He also called travelling on the commencement of the dribble, and from talking to him, the best I could ascertain was the ball had to hit the floor before the pivot foot came up?!

I can't do much with this type of thing, and both teams were clearly affected and both coaches perplexed. Can/do you address this with a partner who is clearly calling a different game than any other official in your local area?
1)You know the rule,Coach,even though the official obviously didn't.The ball has to leave the hand before the pivot foot is raised.Probably wouldn't have done you any good trying to straighten him out on it,either.
2)I address this if I think that my partner is consistently not applying a rule properly.The problem is that some officials won't,because they just wanna get out without the hassles.Hopefully,they do let their local assignor/evaluator/whatever know that the guy is screwing up though.
From your standpoint,I don't think that there was much more that you could have done.At least,he was consistent and you could try to get your players to adjust to him.
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
There is not much that a coach can do in this situation except to politely inquire of the official for an explanation. The real solution is for for this officials partner to have a quiet word with him during either a timeout or between quarters. He should do this in a non-threatening manner as if to clarify the interpretation of the rule.
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 07:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Depends on the guy I am working with. Some officials do not like you to point out those things. Some want to be on the same page and discuss all kinds of stuff. From your standpoint, you just have to deal with it. Because even if I talk to my partner, does not mean it will change anything. He might go right back to what he was doing. We all do not have the same judgment.

Peace
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach - I hate to think that this was one of ours. I know we have a few officials that screw things up big time. At least s/he was consistent. I will try to address this with my partner and I hope that my partners are comfortable enough with me to address something they are concerned about.
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
By the way, I ALWAYS tell my partner during the pre-game conference in the locker room that I always welcome constructive criticism (and compliments when appropriate) at any time during the game. This is especially true of partners who have more experience than I.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Hawks Coach - I hate to think that this was one of ours. I know we have a few officials that screw things up big time. At least s/he was consistent. I will try to address this with my partner and I hope that my partners are comfortable enough with me to address something they are concerned about.
PG County game in Maryland - not sure what organization the officials are with. I never saw this ref before. I will say that the guy was consistent within his own game, even if it was inconsistent with everybody else in Maryland.

And he was far better than the ref I saw in a couple of later games (not mine) who rarely crossed half court as trail (in a game where both teams walked it up the court) and on at least two occasions was not even watching while FTs were being shot. One time he was joking with a player who was complaining about no-calls on some "fouls," another time he was talking with the table and had his back to the court (on the second of two FTs even!)

I sent a note to the tournament director on him - apathy p!$$&$ me off far more than a wierd way of calling a game.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach: I agree with you. If an official can't/won't get into position, and get into the game, s/he should give it up. S/he does a disservice to other officials.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously I wasn't there, didn't see it, but 15-20 carry calls by one guy? Numerous travels called when players begin the dribble? Sounds like he's way too quick on the whistle. I have NEVER done a game where I could have justified making 20 carry calls by myself.

Gotta talk about that one with your partner at halftime. We should always be able to find a way to converse about these things constructively without hurt feelings. If we can't, we shouldn't be out there.

Did the carry allow the ball carrier to beat someone? Did the quick move on the dribble give the player an advantage? Or is someone looking for things to call rather than letting the play come to him?

Just my opinion. Like I always say....
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 10:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Not to worry coach.
What you had was a newer official that has read the book, but lacks the experience.
Wait a few years and you'll be happy to have him on the floor.