The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Big difference from the OP's complaint. BIG difference.
Yes, a very big difference. Not even close.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If I hear racial slurs coming from the stands, they're done. I don't care if it's directed at me (white) or a partner of any skin tone. When I'm with my friends (of various races), we've been known to joke around with that stuff, but not in this setting, not ever.

For the first time ever, I dealt with some fans this year. Some kids were sitting in the corner during a Freshman girls game making a bunch of comments all game. Then I heard a couple of F-bombs, and told them to cool it. They responded less than favorably, so I ignored it the rest of the game (it was almost over).

On the way to the locker room to wait for our next game, I informed the GM that she had a couple knuckleheads in the corner dropping F-bombs and she could deal with it however she wanted.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
How is it different if someone calls me a Mick or a Big Hitler or a Nazi? Why is that different than the OP? Because of the color of my skin? These are still slurs. Or should these slurs be treated differently for some reason? They are still inappropriate. I still maintain that blocking out such commentary is the most effective.

But, once again, I understand that I am in the minority, here.
Gonna fall on the side of getting game management involved.

As an aside I have had fans call me "ELvis". But I take that as a compliment. And no I don't look like the fat,drugged out Elvis,I look like the good looking younger version.

Once had a student section chant "Elvis sucks" . It was music to my ears.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
How is it different if someone calls me a Mick or a Big Hitler or a Nazi? Why is that different than the OP? Because of the color of my skin? These are still slurs. Or should these slurs be treated differently for some reason? They are still inappropriate. I still maintain that blocking out such commentary is the most effective.

But, once again, I understand that I am in the minority, here.
Those are racial slurs and will earn a quick ticket to the outdoors. If they harp on my weight, eye sight, foot size, hair color, or whatever, I'm fine. Don't get into race, though. Riots don't start from arguments about foot size. They do come from racial arguments, though.

BTW, racial slurs fit into your category 1.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:49am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Gonna fall on the side of getting game management involved.

As an aside I have had fans call me "ELvis". But I take that as a compliment. And no I don't look like the fat,drugged out Elvis,I look like the good looking younger version.

Once had a student section chant "Elvis sucks" . It was music to my ears.
I've been asked twice at the same school, don't know if it was the same guy, if I'd ever been told I look like Chuck Norris. I wasn't offended, but I imagine Chuck would be.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 03:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I've been asked twice at the same school, don't know if it was the same guy, if I'd ever been told I look like Chuck Norris. I wasn't offended, but I imagine Chuck would be.
Tell them you are Chuck Norris, you'll get far less grief.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Tell them no but you taught him how to fight.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Chuck Norris wouldn't just call a violation. He would prevent it from ever happening again.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

A few years ago, a small rural school. Older man in overalls on the front row tells me I need to "help my boy", speaking of one of my partners... a young black man.
At halftime, my partner asked me why I let him make a racial comment like that. I was a little embarrassed that I had taken it to mean he was young and inexperienced.
Dead ball in the second half. I'm in C, right in front of the old man. This time he says, "You should know better than to bring one of them with you".
Told the school administrator I wanted him gone.
He got a round of applause as he left... I got hammered the rest of the night... it was worth it.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge0263 View Post
It has now happened 2 times to me where a fan has made a very inappropriate racial comment towards me during my basketball games.

The first situation, I was called a "chink" in some manner where they yelled about either my calls or not having calls for their team. I was offended, but did not let it bother me. I looked into the crowd to let that individual know I heard them, but could not pinpoint the individual.

Today, I had someone say something similar with chinaman in it. Same thing...I could not tell who it was.

What do you think is appropriate to do in this situation? I know certain races/ethnicities are highly offended by certain words used against them, so being a proud Korean, I do take offense to these comments.

Any words of wisdom would be helpful.....

Thanks...
I had this problem in a college game over the past weekend. There was this one fan making borderline comments to the opposing team. My partner looked at security and then the armed guard started moving over towards the person making the comments and he shut up for the rest of the game.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Unhappy

As I read these posts I just find it utterly incredible that we are even talking about these types of situations in 2009! Amazing, in a sad way. I hope I never have to deal with it. But, as always, the Forum has given me food for thought in case I do.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As I read these posts I just find it utterly incredible that we are even talking about these types of situations in 2009! Amazing, in a sad way. I hope I never have to deal with it. But, as always, the Forum has given me food for thought in case I do.
Why?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
Why?
The accumulation of three steps forward, one step back is in fact progress, but often the one step back is what makes the news.

Picture yourself as a historian from 400 years into the future, looking back at the period of time of your lifetime (and earlier).
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

The most racist situation I have ever been in is working an inner city JV game. I was one of maybe 10 white people in the gym. I was called everything but a white Man. Did my Black partner stand up for me? Did the Black Administrator, Coaches or Security Officer not hear what was being said?

I have worked many times in the rural areas that our association covers with a single Black official in our 3 man crew. Never has there been any crowd activity directed at my Black partner like what I have experienced working inner city schools.

Where is it written that racism is only 1 way?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
The accumulation of three steps forward, one step back is in fact progress, but often the one step back is what makes the news.

Picture yourself as a historian from 400 years into the future, looking back at the period of time of your lifetime (and earlier).
I would think that such information is a refresher course for those who may have forgotten. You always need the past, look back and see where you have came from. Not dwelling in the past, but reflecting!!!!