The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Ok- so the key is if B is the last to touch. A can touch it in the FC but as long as B touches it last before it goes back into the BC then it isn't a violation. kind of like the case book play, where on a looseball in A's fc b slaps it off A1's leg and A recovers it, violation because A1 last to touch it in the FC.
You can answer your own questions by just examining the rule.

Rule 9,
SECTION 9 BACKCOURT
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

ART. 2 . . . While in team control in its backcourt, a player shall not cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, such that he/she or a teammate is the first to touch it in the backcourt.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok- so the key is if B is the last to touch. A can touch it in the FC but as long as B touches it last before it goes back into the BC then it isn't a violation. kind of like the case book play, where on a looseball in A's fc b slaps it off A1's leg and A recovers it, violation because A1 last to touch it in the FC.
You're getting it!!!!
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:25pm
In Time Out

yippeee
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

I think the tough Team Control call, for some, is this scenario:

Team A, in their FC, attempts a try...the ball is momentarily controlled by post Player A1 after the missed shot.

Player B1 knocks the ball loose and there is a mad scramble for the loose ball, with both A1 and B1 hitting the ball at different times.

Finally, Player A1 undercuts Player B1 as they dive for the loose ball.

Team A has 10 team fouls.

Ruling: Team Control Foul...no foul shots for Player B1...ball at nearest point of the foul for a throw-in.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:46pm
In Time Out

last snitch. well hopefully

If there is an inadvertent whistle for a BC violation in the examples I used, does ball go back to the original throw in spot? If the pass was controlled by team A1 or b. Pass not controlled. I guess you wouldn't put time back on the clock either
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I think the tough Team Control call, for some, is this scenario:

Team A, in their FC, attempts a try...the ball is momentarily controlled by post Player A1 after the missed shot.

Player B1 knocks the ball loose and there is a mad scramble for the loose ball, with both A1 and B1 hitting the ball at different times.

Finally, Player A1 undercuts Player B1 as they dive for the loose ball.

Team A has 10 team fouls.

Ruling: Team Control Foul...no foul shots for Player B1...ball at nearest point of the foul for a throw-in.
This is no worse, in my opinion, than the official calling a 3-second violation on a player as the same mad scramble for the loose ball continues for four seconds out near the division line, but still in the front court.....But, the rules still say, the violation should be called in your scenario since team control has been established and the ball is in the front court.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
last snitch. well hopefully

If there is an inadvertent whistle for a BC violation in the examples I used, does ball go back to the original throw in spot? If the pass was controlled by team A1 or b. Pass not controlled. I guess you wouldn't put time back on the clock either
Please don't snitch on anyone.

The ball would only return to the throw-in location if no one on the court had yet touched it when the whistle sounded. Otherwise, the ball goes to the nearest OOB spot to where it was last touched by a player or in contact with the floor after the throw-in had ended.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 03:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Since you most assuredly have a vast knowledge of the rules and situations...I deeply apologize for you having to muddle through my seemingly
simplistic scenario (as evidence of your icon)...

but, maybe just maybe...some lesser informed official, than you Mr. ducky, might get something out of the "sitch" that was stated.
Don't take it personally. I know you're not because you're no rookie.
I took it as his icon was directed at his own post, not anyone else's.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Don't take it personally. I know you're not because you're no rookie.
I took it as his icon was directed at his own post, not anyone else's.
Whoops...I thought Mr. Mutantducky was hammering my post.

That'll teach me for taking this 12 hour nightshift overtime without any daytime sleep.

I deleted my overly sensitive post...thanks for the heads up.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does anything change on this-

So team A throws the ball in from the endline into their backcourt. Pass is caught controlled by A1 thus establishing control. Ball then is fumbled and tipped around. If a player from Team A OR Team B is the last to touch it in the backcourt and tips it into the frontcourt where it is again batted around by Team A or Team B. Ball goes into the backcourt. Team A gets control of the ball- violation?

I'm thinking yes it is a violation in either case. Even if team B touches it last(without control, loose ball) in the backcourt and again touches it again in the frontcourt, it would still be a violation if Team A gets the ball in the backcourt. So even if Team A did not touch the ball in the frontcourt they could still be called for a violation? That would be a really weird play.
If it is, do you call the violation right when Team A touches the ball in the backcourt after it had gone in the front or when they have control of the ball? Example, ball backcourt then frontcourt and then back, B1 knocks it off A1 while in the backcourt. Call it there?
4 Requirements:

1) Team Control
2) Ball obtains FC location
3) Team A last to touch before ball goes to BC
4) Team A first to touch after ball goes to BC

Apply those to your (or almost any) situation to get the answer.

3 Exceptions:

1) Jump ball
2) Throw In
3) Defensive Player
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
BV, I was Trail and backing up as Team A had frontcourt possession and the passed ball was loose and bouncing toward the division line
A2 touched the pass. [Ball still bouncing toward backcourt.]
A2 chased down the ball to save the violation. [I'm now on the division line.]Ball bounced in frontcourt then 12" over the division line (but did not touch backcourt).
A2, chasing the ball, reached the ball and with his right hand batted the ball toward the frontcourt, and the ball landed on barely 1/2 of the division line and bounced into the frontcourt. [Note: Defender B had slipped to the floor and was out of the action, so A2 was all alone on this play]
A2's momentum toward the backcourt forced athletic A2 [never in the backcourt] to tightrope, about 6 steps, a line less than 2 " on the frontcourt side, and parallel to, the division line
Without having touched the backcourt, A2 recovered the ball

The bat by A2 that hit the division line gives the ballback court status but it is not in player control so ther is no violation.

once the ball bounced in the front court any player from team A could recover the ball because it now has front court status, great no call.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 04:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post

The bat by A2 that hit the division line gives the ballback court status but it is not in player control so ther is no violation.

once the ball bounced in the front court any player from team A could recover the ball because it now has front court status, great no call.
OHBBREF,
I didn't make a great no-call, nor did I make a bad no-call, for that matter.