The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 12:47pm
In Memoriam

Finally I have seen one, first touch after....

I have often tried to envision 9-9-1 the way we have often morphed the play.
Rule 9
SECTION 9 BACKCOURT
ART. 1 . . .
A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team
control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by

the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

BV, I was Trail and backing up as Team A had frontcourt possession and the passed ball was loose and bouncing toward the division line.

A2 touched the pass. [Ball still bouncing toward backcourt.]
A2 chased down the ball to save the violation. [I'm now on the division line.]
[Ball bounced in frontcourt then 12" over the division line (but did not touch backcourt).]
A2, chasing the ball, reached the ball and with his right hand batted the ball toward the frontcourt, and the ball landed on barely 1/2 of the division line and bounced into the frontcourt.
[Note: Defender B had slipped to the floor and was out of the action, so A2 was all alone on this play]
A2's momentum toward the backcourt forced athletic A2 [never in the backcourt] to tightrope, about 6 steps, a line less than 2 " on the frontcourt side, and parallel to, the division line.

Without having touched the backcourt, A2 recovered the ball.

Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

How did A's coach respond?

BJV last weekend. A1, at the division line but still in his FC, grabs it, realizes he was going to lose the battle with Newton's first law of motion, so throws it off the defender's leg and it bounces into the BC. A1 then recovered legally in his BC. I'm C right in front of Bs coach, and he's audibly impressed.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 01:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
How did A's coach respond?

BJV last weekend. A1, at the division line but still in his FC, grabs it, realizes he was going to lose the battle with Newton's first law of motion, so throws it off the defender's leg and it bounces into the BC. A1 then recovered legally in his BC. I'm C right in front of Bs coach, and he's audibly impressed.
I heard some *white noise* from the fans opposite, but didn't even give a look toward the Team A bench.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or Maybe I'm Missing Something Here ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A2, chasing the ball, reached the ball and with his right hand batted the ball toward the frontcourt, and the ball landed on barely 1/2 of the division line and bounced into the frontcourt.
If the ball touched the division line, then the ball gained backcourt status. If it was touched by next A2, isn't this a backcourt violation? Sounds to me like this is similar to a player dribbling close to, and parallel to, the division line, the ball strikes the division line, and the dribbler, while in the frontcourt, continues to dribble. Isn't this also a backcourt violation?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 07:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If the ball touched the division line, then the ball gained backcourt status. If it was touched by next A2, isn't this a backcourt violation? Sounds to me like this is similar to a player dribbling close to, and parallel to, the division line, the ball strikes the division line, and the dribbler, while in the frontcourt, continues to dribble. Isn't this also a backcourt violation?
I think you are employing 9-1-1.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 08:37pm
In Time Out

control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by

So if the ball is in control by A in the backcourt and on a pass the ball lands in the front court. The ball is then fumbled then tipped around. A is the last one to touch it and A2 recovers the ball in the bc. No violation because there hasn't been control?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post

So if the ball is in control by A in the backcourt and on a pass the ball lands in the front court. The ball is then fumbled then tipped around. A is the last one to touch it and A2 recovers the ball in the bc. No violation because there hasn't been control?
Not correct. Team A is in control the entire time. That's a backcourt violation.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 03:05am
In Time Out

? So the control in the backcourt carries over to control in the frontcourt? I guess the whole team that had control last remains in control during a loose ball situation.

What if, instead of a pass from the backcourt it is a throw in from the end/baseline. A1 touches the pass but there is no control and the ball is bouncing around and is tipped into the frontcourt and then by team A into the backcourt. Violation there? Does team control for team A start from the throw in?
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
? So the control in the backcourt carries over to control in the frontcourt? I guess the whole team that had control last remains in control during a loose ball situation.

What if, instead of a pass from the backcourt it is a throw in from the end/baseline. A1 touches the pass but there is no control and the ball is bouncing around and is tipped into the frontcourt and then by team A into the backcourt. Violation there? Does team control for team A start from the throw in?
I think that you've got it now. Team control does carry over until the ball becomes dead, the opponent gains control, or it is relinquished with a try for goal going into flight.

Since there is no team control during a throw-in, the situation that you have proposed with one tip/bat after another would not result in a backcourt violation.

BTW the NCAA ruling would be the same (no backcourt violation) even though there is team control during a throw-in as there is a specific exception for a throw-in written into the rules for that level.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 07:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations. In both cases team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
? So the control in the backcourt carries over to control in the frontcourt?
The mistake here is to think that team control has a location. There is no "team control in the backcourt" or "team control in the frontcourt." Team control ends only in the ways Nevada describes.

Team control is one concept; ball and player location another. The backcourt violation rule links the two.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:36pm
In Time Out

Does anything change on this-

So team A throws the ball in from the endline into their backcourt. Pass is caught controlled by A1 thus establishing control. Ball then is fumbled and tipped around. If a player from Team A OR Team B is the last to touch it in the backcourt and tips it into the frontcourt where it is again batted around by Team A or Team B. Ball goes into the backcourt. Team A gets control of the ball- violation?

I'm thinking yes it is a violation in either case. Even if team B touches it last(without control, loose ball) in the backcourt and again touches it again in the frontcourt, it would still be a violation if Team A gets the ball in the backcourt. So even if Team A did not touch the ball in the frontcourt they could still be called for a violation? That would be a really weird play.
If it is, do you call the violation right when Team A touches the ball in the backcourt after it had gone in the front or when they have control of the ball? Example, ball backcourt then frontcourt and then back, B1 knocks it off A1 while in the backcourt. Call it there?

Last edited by mutantducky; Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 09:38pm.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So team A throws the ball in from the endline into their backcourt. Pass is caught controlled by A1 thus establishing control. Ball then is fumbled and tipped around. If a player from Team A OR Team B is the last to touch it in the backcourt and tips it into the frontcourt where it is again batted around by Team A or Team B. Ball goes into the backcourt. Team A gets control of the ball- violation?

I'm thinking yes it is a violation in either case. Even if team B touches it last(without control, loose ball) in the backcourt and again touches it again in the frontcourt, it would still be a violation if Team A gets the ball in the backcourt. So even if Team A did not touch the ball in the frontcourt they could still be called for a violation? That would be a really weird play.
If it is, do you call the violation right when Team A touches the ball in the backcourt after it had gone in the front or when they have control of the ball? Example, ball backcourt then frontcourt and then back, B1 knocks it off A1 while in the backcourt. Call it there?
No. If B is last to touch the ball before it goes into the BC, it's not a violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:52pm
In Time Out

Ok- so the key is if B is the last to touch. A can touch it in the FC but as long as B touches it last before it goes back into the BC then it isn't a violation. kind of like the case book play, where on a looseball in A's fc b slaps it off A1's leg and A recovers it, violation because A1 last to touch it in the FC.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

PART A: team A throws the ball in from the endline into their backcourt. Pass is caught controlled by A1 thus establishing control.

PART B: Ball is fumbled and tipped around into the frontcourt where it is again batted around by Team A or Team B. Ball then returns to the backcourt. Team A gets control of the ball- violation?
PART A: TEAM CONTROL EXISTS FOR TEAM A.

PART B: YES, IF TEAM A was LAST TO TOUCH in FC; NO if TEAM B was LAST TO TOUCH in FC