The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

injured player replacement

when team(a) has an injured player, in the act of shooting, who shoots the free throws? Who chooses the shooter?
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
when team(a) has an injured player, in the act of shooting, who shoots the free throws? Who chooses the shooter?
The sub the coach sends into the game shoots the FTs.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

^^Yeah, exactly.

I saw one referee, while I was keeping score, almost get suckered in by the opposing coach. The opposing coach was bs-ing about he got to choose who the sub would be to shoot the free throws. That coach can sway an official not to sure of him/herself: he's loud, abrasive and "in your face" with his antics. Sometimes, he takes it too far. But, I digress.

Be well,

Bryant
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
RULE 8
SECTION 2 ATTEMPTING PERSONAL-FOUL FREE THROWS
The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the
offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or
disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute
is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by
the team captain or head coach.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I had one like this a few weeks ago. Kid from the home team comes up the court with time expiring in the 3rd quarter. He's about 6 feet outside the 3-point arc and is putting up his buzzer-beater. Along comes a visiting player and, HORN, SMACK, and knocks the kid down. Kid rolled his ankle on the landing.

The visiting coach was annoyed that a sub got to shoot the FT's. He whined that the other coach picked his best shooter (maybe so), he whined that the kid was on the floor when the foul occurred (he wasn't), he whined that the kid had alread been in the game (irrelevant), he whined that the FT's should have been canceled because the quarter was over (BS).

Then he started whining at the top of the 4th quarter: the kid who was hurt couldn't start the 4th quarter, since he was injured at the end of the 3rd (BS, but he wasn't on the floor anyway). Wow, that guy was annoying!

He kept asking questions in a respectful manner, so I couldn't really do much beyond putting the ball in play and getting him to start coaching again.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I had one like this a few weeks ago. Kid from the home team comes up the court with time expiring in the 3rd quarter. He's about 6 feet outside the 3-point arc and is putting up his buzzer-beater. Along comes a visiting player and, HORN, SMACK, and knocks the kid down. Kid rolled his ankle on the landing.

The visiting coach was annoyed that a sub got to shoot the FT's. He whined that the other coach picked his best shooter (maybe so), he whined that the kid was on the floor when the foul occurred (he wasn't), he whined that the kid had alread been in the game (irrelevant), he whined that the FT's should have been canceled because the quarter was over (BS).

Then he started whining at the top of the 4th quarter: the kid who was hurt couldn't start the 4th quarter, since he was injured at the end of the 3rd (BS, but he wasn't on the floor anyway). Wow, that guy was annoying!

He kept asking questions in a respectful manner, so I couldn't really do much beyond putting the ball in play and getting him to start coaching again.
I happen to believe that the coach is correct about that point.

You could have awarded two more FTs for his excessive whining.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Tell him you've heard enough, the conversation is over, and you're moving on.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Tell him you've heard enough, the conversation is over, and you're moving on.
Although he was correct about the injured player not being able to start the
4th quarter. Other than that he is just plain wrong

I agree with Snaq's were done here let' move on.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Although he was correct about the injured player not being able to start the
4th quarter. Other than that he is just plain wrong

I agree with Snaq's were done here let' move on.
He may have been right about that, but he wasn't playing anyway, so it was irrelevant whining.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
so it was irrelevant whining.
If is that not redundant?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
If is that not redundant?
Huh?

That makes about as much sense as your signature.

Kind of weird that coaches have these strange ideas about subs shooting FTs. The NBA has a crazy rule but NFHS and NCAA are pretty straight forward.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

If the horn sounded, then the play and the ball were DEAD, hence no legal shot could be attempted, therefore, there could be no foul unless you judged the foul to be such that it could not be ignored. In which case you must assess technical foul. Is that what happened? Seems to me the coach has a darn good argument. JMO
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
If the horn sounded, then the play and the ball were DEAD, hence no legal shot could be attempted, therefore, there could be no foul unless you judged the foul to be such that it could not be ignored. In which case you must assess technical foul. Is that what happened? Seems to me the coach has a darn good argument. JMO
Wrong. If the shot had been released prior to the horn sounding, then the ball is not dead at the horn and an airborne shooter still needs to be protected.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Whenever a coach asks me who can shoot the FT for an injured player, I tell him it's the kid with the worst haircut. I actually had a coach once say, "Oh, OK".
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

The OP didn't say the ball had been released (which is what I based my response upon), and I agree that an airborne shooter has to be protected.