The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I had this situation a couple of games ago, and I am wonder if I did the right thing. The shoelace question made me think of it.

Situation: Team A gets rebound and goes down court on a fast break, I hear B1 scream for a time out, I don't grant this because they are not in possesion. But she informs me that B2 is hurt. I see that B2 is holding her face (no blood, no tears, etc.) I assumed she caught an elbow or a shoulder away from the play. She did not seem seriously hurt, so I let the game play on, and once team B had possesion I stopped the game and had the coach replace the injured player.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 02:20pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up yup!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
I had this situation a couple of games ago, and I am wonder if I did the right thing. The shoelace question made me think of it.

Situation: Team A gets rebound and goes down court on a fast break, I hear B1 scream for a time out, I don't grant this because they are not in possesion. But she informs me that B2 is hurt. I see that B2 is holding her face (no blood, no tears, etc.) I assumed she caught an elbow or a shoulder away from the play. She did not seem seriously hurt, so I let the game play on, and once team B had possesion I stopped the game and had the coach replace the injured player.
Rook,
I woulda done the same thing.
She coulda been faking it to stop the layup.
mick
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

I agree. However, if the fastbreak pulls up and team A no longer is attacking the basket, I'll probably blow the whistle.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 02:28pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
I agree. However, if the fastbreak pulls up and team A no longer is attacking the basket, I'll probably blow the whistle.
I probably would, too, Indy.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would agree with all, and to top it off I think the casebook covers this. Once the break is over, or the team with the injured player gains possession, then you stop play.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Age?

You didn't indicate the age of the players. If this is HS, then I do the same as you. If this is the 8-10 year olds in our church-run league, then I might stop the game immediately. (We advertise our league as non-competitive. Parents will always appreciate concern for their child.) If a parent complains about stopping the lay-up, I tell them a child is far more important that the score of a game. It is unlikely it would go any farther, but if they persisted I just tell them that is not how we run our league. (I have no problem appearing as an authority, and in this league I have that authority. I make the league rules. Shucks, I could even let the coach come out to help the child while letting the play run.)

The point is to use common sense with young children.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 07:26pm
In Memoriam

Re: Age?

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
You didn't indicate the age of the players. If this is HS, then I do the same as you. If this is the 8-10 year olds in our church-run league, then I might stop the game immediately. (We advertise our league as non-competitive. Parents will always appreciate concern for their child.) If a parent complains about stopping the lay-up, I tell them a child is far more important that the score of a game. It is unlikely it would go any farther, but if they persisted I just tell them that is not how we run our league. (I have no problem appearing as an authority, and in this league I have that authority. I make the league rules. Shucks, I could even let the coach come out to help the child while letting the play run.)

The point is to use common sense with young children.
yer right, Richard.
Level of play will always make a difference.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

5-8-2a Note

When a player is injured, the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player's team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.