The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

disqualified player and no replacement

This is a sub-varsity game - player picks up 5th foul with 1.4 seconds remaining. The coach sent the players that were sitting on the bench with him to the locker room because they dress out for varsity game to follow. So, there is no replacement player to replace the disqualified player. They are losing by 20. What is the ruling here?
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Play with 4.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Play with 4.
Mr. Snaqs, Help me with this one. If V or H has legal subs in the book, is there no requirement that they find that sub. The other question is, if per the scorebook, they have legal subs can they not provide a sub without facing a T. Third, and most important, some states limit the number of quarters players play per night, if they must produce the legal sub in this sitch, that may be taking a quarter away from the varsity contest.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Mr. Snaqs, Help me with this one. If V or H has legal subs in the book, is there no requirement that they find that sub. The other question is, if per the scorebook, they have legal subs can they not provide a sub without facing a T. Third, and most important, some states limit the number of quarters players play per night, if they must produce the legal sub in this sitch, that may be taking a quarter away from the varsity contest.
MHO - first, if the coach tells me he has no available players, regardless of whether they're listed in the book, I'm not arguing. They could all have become injured or ill for all I care.

Therefore, we'll play with 4.

As for the state limits on quarters, that is not an official's responsibility and should have no bearing.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
MHO - first, if the coach tells me he has no available players, regardless of whether they're listed in the book, I'm not arguing. They could all have become injured or ill for all I care.

Therefore, we'll play with 4.

As for the state limits on quarters, that is not an official's responsibility and should have no bearing.
It only comes into the discussion as a secondary point....NO state anywhere will ever issue a ruling that requires a player to play in a JV game when it jeopardizes thier planned eligibility for the varsity game...varsity comes first. So, if the JV coach says player X can't play, then player X doesn't play.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
1. Don't make the coach lie. Some coaches will put their entire roster in the book every game even though some kids might be gone for whatever reason. A4 might have learned a relative died. A43 might have come up with pink eye.

2. If coach says they can't play, they can't play. The reason doesn't matter.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It only comes into the discussion as a secondary point....NO state anywhere will ever issue a ruling that requires a player to play in a JV game when it jeopardizes thier planned eligibility for the varsity game...varsity comes first. So, if the JV coach says player X can't play, then player X doesn't play.
That agrees with my take on this issue and if the rules do not indicate so, they should.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 05:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That agrees with my take on this issue and if the rules do not indicate so, they should.
The rules don't require us to check a player's eligibility; so if a coach says a player can't play, he can't play.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 08:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And I'll Add "Sigh" To That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Some coaches will put their entire roster in the book every game even though some kids might be gone for whatever reason.
According to IAABO (not necessarily NFHS), this is illegal. Why, you may ask? NFHS 4-34-3: A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player; was given as the citation. Good grief.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Going over the rule book curled up on the couch before a crackling fire and a cup of cocoa to keep me warm, I read that you can play with one player if the officials think there is a chance for the team to win.

That said, has anyone had a game that wound up with 3, 2, or 1 player left?

Many times with four, but never less.

That motion offense with one player must be one for the ages........
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Going over the rule book curled up on the couch before a crackling fire and a cup of cocoa to keep me warm, I read that you can play with one player if the officials think there is a chance for the team to win.

That said, has anyone had a game that wound up with 3, 2, or 1 player left?

Many times with four, but never less.

That motion offense with one player must be one for the ages........
Had a game with 2 remaining...and one of them had 4 fouls. They were man points ahead when they dropped below 5 and held on to win by a few. It was a middle school game.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:28am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

About 7 or so years ago, I was at a CYO gaem (5th & 6th grade girls) where we were away and the home team barely had five players -- the 5th player showed up right as the warm-up countdown was reaching 0:00.

Home team had two players foul out back to back in the 4th quarter and had to finish with three. Despite having a 5 on 3 advantage for a minute and a half, we couldn't score and lost by the whopping score of 8-6.

###

Last summer at a college summer league semifinal, the "house team" only had players and two fouled out. Coach spent several minutes accusing me of cheating while the referees just stood there watching listening One reason out of many I will most likely never go back there again.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 01:30am.