The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 12:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

FIBA - I think we kicked a TO situation

For those that don't know, TOs in a FIBA game go through the table:

HCs request a TO through the table and if there's one to be granted, it is granted at the next "TO opportunity". The timer will stop the clock for the request (if the clock is running when the TO opportunity arises) and then sound the horn.

TO opportunities include:
  1. during a dead ball because of a violation, foul, or held ball
  2. after last free throw and it is successful
  3. dead ball territory if you're scored upon, except between free throws

In the case that each HC has a TO request "at the table", the one that first requested the TO has theirs granted if each team is in a valid TO opportunity (1 and 2).

So my situation: each team has a pending TO and there's a shooting foul. So we grant White's TO because their request came first.

TO is done and we shoot the free throws for White. Second shot goes in, and the horn doesn't sound for Black's TO that still remains.

The ball was already inbounded with 1 controlled dribble. I did know how much time was on the clock during the previous dead ball period. It was an important situation because we were in fact under 2 minutes left in the game. Since White scored on Black (the second free throw), Black's granted TO means their throw-in is now at the DL opposite the table, with both front and back court privileges.

But I didn't blow it dead and do what the rule says.

I guess I now own this rule. (I would have killed the play, issued the TO, put the proper time back on the clock, and award the DL throw-in.)
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
For those that don't know, TOs in a FIBA game go through the table:

HCs request a TO through the table and if there's one to be granted, it is granted at the next "TO opportunity". The timer will stop the clock for the request (if the clock is running when the TO opportunity arises) and then sound the horn.

TO opportunities include:
  1. during a dead ball because of a violation, foul, or held ball
  2. after last free throw and it is successful
  3. dead ball territory if you're scored upon, except between free throws

In the case that each HC has a TO request "at the table", the one that first requested the TO has theirs granted if each team is in a valid TO opportunity (1 and 2).

So my situation: each team has a pending TO and there's a shooting foul. So we grant White's TO because their request came first.

TO is done and we shoot the free throws for White. Second shot goes in, and the horn doesn't sound for Black's TO that still remains.

The ball was already inbounded with 1 controlled dribble. I did know how much time was on the clock during the previous dead ball period. It was an important situation because we were in fact under 2 minutes left in the game. Since White scored on Black (the second free throw), Black's granted TO means their throw-in is now at the DL opposite the table, with both front and back court privileges.

But I didn't blow it dead and do what the rule says.

I guess I now own this rule. (I would have killed the play, issued the TO, put the proper time back on the clock, and award the DL throw-in.)
In the case when both coaches request a TO, there are two cases:
(1) the next TO opportunity is for both teams (for example, after a violation)
(2) the next TO opportunity is for one team only (the other team scores a field goal)

In case 1 the TO is charged to the team whose coach requested it first; in case 2 the TO is charged to the team entitled to it (the non scoring team).

The "pending" TO request is disregarded: if the other coach wants one, it must be requested anew. In other words, there is only one pending request at a time. After all, the other team did use a TO, didn't they?

I can't show a rule, but this is how it's been done since the rules allowed for a TO after a field goal.

In your case, if Black wants a TO in order to advance the ball at the division line, they have to request explicitly another one after the ball has become live. Otherwise the "pending" TO would have been granted immediately after White's TO, surely something that Black would not want, since it wouldn't allow to advance the ball after the free throws.

Ciao
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 01:23pm

Thanks!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

If the black team wanted a TO after the first one, they should have requested it after white's time-out. Then the scorebench sounds the horn to let you know. The TO given to white team before the shots cancels the second TO.
cheers
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 08:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK View Post
If the black team wanted a TO after the first one, they should have requested it after white's time-out. Then the scorebench sounds the horn to let you know. The TO given to white team before the shots cancels the second TO.
cheers
Is this in text anywhere? Is there a rule that covers this situation? A case book play? Or even word of mouth from the Powers That Be? And who are the powers that be?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:07am
MABO Member

I don't know where this is referenced, but I believe that these interps are correct. I have seen it happen a couple of times this year and we handled it exactly this way. Fortunately each time the coach came over to the table and requested their TO again.

On a side note and not to HiJack this thread. Can a TO be take before the initial Jump has occurred?
Had a coach show up late for a game, like moments before game time, he was so disorganized that he needed a TO to get his team on the floor. The officials granted the TO but I thought it was a little off. I was observing the game, not one of the officials in this one.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I don't know where this is referenced, but I believe that these interps are correct. I have seen it happen a couple of times this year and we handled it exactly this way. Fortunately each time the coach came over to the table and requested their TO again.

On a side note and not to HiJack this thread. Can a TO be take before the initial Jump has occurred?
Had a coach show up late for a game, like moments before game time, he was so disorganized that he needed a TO to get his team on the floor. The officials granted the TO but I thought it was a little off. I was observing the game, not one of the officials in this one.
No, a TO cannot be granted during an interval of play. See the FIBA Official Interpretations (2008), articles 17/18, situation 1.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

JR, you have not kicked the T.O. rule. You did right. I have searched the FIBA rulebook and casebook just in case and could not find anything in print that will support that correct decision, it has just always been the norm. In my 31 years refereeing to FIBA rules, this has never been questioned by anyone, even by visiting American teams.
cheers- Nick