The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Wonder if i kicked this one...

I'm glad they give the first year guys 'garbage' games so that we can learn the ropes...

SIT: NFHS

B1 hits a shot to right which is horribly missed by F9. Anyway, B1 rounds third and starts to the plate, F2 has moved up the line (10 or 12ft) and is in position to make the play, but the ball is still coming in from F4. B1 has to step inside the running lane (maybe 1 1/2 feet) to avoid F2, who simultaneously makes the catch from F4 and misses a sweeping tag, B1 scores.

Defensive coach argues that she should be out for leaving the running lane, i tell the coach that F2 obstructed the running lane and that is why B1 had to move inside to avoid it. Either way B1's run counts. Did i kick it? The game was well out of hand by the time this call was made (B1 was on the team that was up) so if i did kick it it had no bearing on the outcome.

Just wanna make sure i got it right...
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue68
I'm glad they give the first year guys 'garbage' games so that we can learn the ropes...

SIT: NFHS

B1 hits a shot to right which is horribly missed by F9. Anyway, B1 rounds third and starts to the plate, F2 has moved up the line (10 or 12ft) and is in position to make the play, but the ball is still coming in from F4. B1 has to step inside the running lane (maybe 1 1/2 feet) to avoid F2, who simultaneously makes the catch from F4 and misses a sweeping tag, B1 scores.

Defensive coach argues that she should be out for leaving the running lane, i tell the coach that F2 obstructed the running lane and that is why B1 had to move inside to avoid it. Either way B1's run counts. Did i kick it? The game was well out of hand by the time this call was made (B1 was on the team that was up) so if i did kick it it had no bearing on the outcome.

Just wanna make sure i got it right...
Thats probably fine.. I would agree in general with the coach, if someone runs more than an arm stretch away, I got an out.

So on the play lets say runner is out for out of baseline, you are of course signalling DDB on the OBS..

So now, with runner out, you call dead ball due to OBS, and runner goes to where she would have gotten had there been NO obstruction.

So now ask yourself where that was. Where would the runner be without OBS?

Home? If not home, put her back to 3b. Thats your judgment call on the OBS.

And thats how it goes.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 11:42pm.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
1) There are no garbage games.
2) There is no "running lane" between 3rd & HP. If you mean the runner's path, say that to avoid confusion.
3) The "baseline" is irrelevant, only the base path (the runner's chosen path) matters.
4) OBS is OBS. Once it exists, the runner alters the base path because of the OBS and would not be out for being only 1 1/2 feet off.
5) If a runner not OBS runs more than 3 feet (arm stretch for fielder with long arns) from the base path to avoid a tag, that's an out, but the runner can not be out between the bases, etc. if OBS.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=CecilOne]1) There are no garbage games.
QUOTE]

GOOD CALL Cecil! The rest is good too.

BB68, She can run wherever she wants, except to avoid a tag. Even then she has 3 feet (0.91 meters) per 8-6-1. You stated the runner "has to step inside the running lane (maybe 1 1/2 feet) to avoid F2" and then F2 recieves the ball.

The runner had to deviate her chosen path due to OBS, not an attempt to avoid anything other than a fielder who was obstructing her.

You asked "Just wanna make sure i got it right..." I have to ask you;

Did you signal Delayed Dead Ball, and call Obstruction? or just let the play finish?

If you did, you got it right. If you did not, you got it right, but did it the wrong way!

Please remember Cecil's first point always! Whether you are assigned a 10U rec game where two first year teams are playing, or a state championship HS playoff game, you should prepare, dress, and work just as hard to call the game properly!
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

I think you nailed this one. It is a HTBT play to see exactly how it all played out but from your description you had the runner reacting to the fielder and moving to avoid the fielder that was attempting to make a catch of a thrown ball. Once that happens there is OBS, so the runner can not be out between 3rd and home in this case. And as also mentioned the only time you would have a runner out for running more than 3' out of the basepath (line from them to base they are trying to gain) is when they are trying to avoid a tag, and from your wording it appears she had made her move out of that path prior to F2 having possesion of the ball so it is hard to argue that she was avoiding a tag, when she had already moved because of the OBS of F2.

I think everyone else agreed, you got this one right!
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
1) There are no garbage games.
2) There is no "running lane" between 3rd & HP. If you mean the runner's path, say that to avoid confusion.
3) The "baseline" is irrelevant, only the base path (the runner's chosen path) matters.
4) OBS is OBS. Once it exists, the runner alters the base path because of the OBS and would not be out for being only 1 1/2 feet off.
5) If a runner not OBS runs more than 3 feet (arm stretch for fielder with long arns) from the base path to avoid a tag, that's an out, but the runner can not be out between the bases, etc. if OBS.
You are correct about the baseline vs path, I used the wrong term.

Along the lines of not so unimportant semantics...

A runner can be put out, they just cant be called out between the bases where obstructed (with a few exceptions). So if they are out, you call dead ball and proceed with the award.

IMO, there are some garbage games. I dont think it implies that we not work as hard.. in fact, you probably work harder. It is just recognizing the lack of skill on the field or that its lower level ball. I have a rec league I always work starting up soon. I really enjoy working this rec league.. but it is hardly premier ball. Even worse, they changed scheduling to have 10U start @ 545 and 14U start @ 730 so I will be working 10U rec since I'd rather just work the double header than wait til 730... its garbage ball.. but its still fun!