The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA throw in situation

A1 is holding the ball out of bounds, defensive player B1 grabs A2. Under the new rules this is an unsportsmanlike foul. Suppose A2 grabs B1 before the release of the ball. Is this an unsportsmanlike foul or team control? Does the new unsportsmanlike foul rule only apply to the defensive player on the throw in? I understand that an unsportamanlike foul can be assessed to the offensive team during play but I am only wondering about the throw in.
thanks
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
A1 is holding the ball out of bounds, defensive player B1 grabs A2. Under the new rules this is an unsportsmanlike foul. Suppose A2 grabs B1 before the release of the ball. Is this an unsportsmanlike foul or team control? Does the new unsportsmanlike foul rule only apply to the defensive player on the throw in? I understand that an unsportamanlike foul can be assessed to the offensive team during play but I am only wondering about the throw in.
thanks
The rule specifies that the unsportsmanlike foul only apllies to the defensive team.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 07:42am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

FIBA and straddling the division line

Play: A2 is straddling the division line when he receives a pass from A1 who is in the backcourt. Ruling: ?Play: A2 is straddling the division line when he receives a pass from A1 who is in the frontcourt. Ruling: ?
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

back over

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Play: A2 is straddling the division line when he receives a pass from A1 who is in the backcourt. Ruling: ?Play: A2 is straddling the division line when he receives a pass from A1 who is in the frontcourt. Ruling: ?
this is a back over situation in FIBA. By have a foot in the front court, he has front court status. The FIBA has changed this year but it regards only the defender who may intercept a ball and land straddling the line or even in the back court. A dribbler only may straddle the line and dribble (new for FIBA) this year, they cannot pass to someone who is straddling the line or in the backcourt.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

back over

Quote:

both situations are back over in FIBA. In NCAA the first situation is legal
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 09:07am
MABO Member

Quote:
First situation is legal. If A2 lifts the front foot it now becomes a violation, if A2 lifts the foot in the backcourt and pivots directly to the front court or starts a dribble directly in the front court then its OK.
Second is definately a violation.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Yikes

I erred, you are right. READ READ and I guess think.. No excuses but here is where I got confused. If the dribbler straddles the line and then passes to another who is straddling the line, that is for sure backover. the situation you said is LEGAL, my bad