The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down Partner calls 48 fouls - I counted them

Filled in for a 5th grade girls game last night. I had not worked with this partner in about 4 or 5 years. She has a tendency to call a lot of ticky tack fouls, but last night took the cake. I tossed to start the game, A1 hit the ball back to A2. B2 put her hands up to guard and TWEET! During the game, she constantly called shooting fouls when the defender had all ball and there was no body contact. She called at least 15 offensive fouls for the ball handler "pushing away the arm" of the defender or something similar. Not only did she call that many fouls, she had to give an explanation of almost every one: "White, 23, for putting her hands on the hip of the dribbler and not letting her change direction" and so on.

The home team won 36-26 and I don't even want to know how many free throws were attempted. We were in double bonus both teams both halves. Six girls fouled out, three on each team, so I guess it "evened out". Oh yeah, she called a ton of violations, too, including travel on virtually every jump stop.

It got to the point where I heard spectators saying things like, "It only took her 10 seconds to call one this time. I win the pool".

Both coaches approached me a few times during breaks to see if there was anything I could do. Now you may be wondering why I didn't discuss these things with her during the game. Let's just say she is not very responsive to constructive criticism.

BTW - I called seven fouls in the whole game and I don't think I missed any in my area. The game took almost 2 hours. I called the assignor and told him that if he ever thinks about scheduling me with her again, I'd rather be shot.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

If she's been working that long and still doing that, someone needs to sit down with her and tell her she's in desperate need of retraining, or she can't be used.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Wow, how long has she been calling? I guess she thought you let alot go LOL
Just look on the bright side.....at least it didn't go into you know what!
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 01:13pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Should be enough for each foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Filled in for a 5th grade girls game last night. I had not worked with this partner in about 4 or 5 years. She has a tendency to call a lot of ticky tack fouls, but last night took the cake. I tossed to start the game, A1 hit the ball back to A2. B2 put her hands up to guard and TWEET! During the game, she constantly called shooting fouls when the defender had all ball and there was no body contact. She called at least 15 offensive fouls for the ball handler "pushing away the arm" of the defender or something similar. Not only did she call that many fouls, she had to give an explanation of almost every one: "White, 23, for putting her hands on the hip of the dribbler and not letting her change direction" and so on.

The home team won 36-26 and I don't even want to know how many free throws were attempted. We were in double bonus both teams both halves. Six girls fouled out, three on each team, so I guess it "evened out". Oh yeah, she called a ton of violations, too, including travel on virtually every jump stop.

It got to the point where I heard spectators saying things like, "It only took her 10 seconds to call one this time. I win the pool".

Both coaches approached me a few times during breaks to see if there was anything I could do. Now you may be wondering why I didn't discuss these things with her during the game. Let's just say she is not very responsive to constructive criticism.

BTW - I called seven fouls in the whole game and I don't think I missed any in my area. The game took almost 2 hours. I called the assignor and told him that if he ever thinks about scheduling me with her again, I'd rather be shot.
Next time, if there is one, be prepared & hand her these in the pre-game.

Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Next time, if there is one, be prepared & hand her these in the pre-game.

And if she doesn't speak Spanish, it might take her mind off the game for a while as she tries to interpret the label ...
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
And if she doesn't speak Spanish, it might take her mind off the game for a while as she tries to interpret the label ...
that was a foul joke?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
that was a foul joke?
... could've just said she could take one of those if she had a hacking cough.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
... could've just said she could take one of those if she had a hacking cough.
... their also great if one's breath is offensive
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
Wow, how long has she been calling? I guess she thought you let alot go LOL
Just look on the bright side.....at least it didn't go into you know what!
I suppose the guy I described in another thread thought the same about me. How these folks can continue to get assigned is a wonder to me.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

For all the women who like to look at this forum. There are guys who officiate just like this also.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Last night I was officiating a blowout and made it through almost the entire 2nd half without calling a foul. The only one I called was an defender riding a driving player with an arm-bar with under a minute left.

Perhaps the Law of Averages forced Mark's partner to call all these fouls?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Juulie, Mark is saying things about you.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 03:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Obviously, it wasn't Juulie, although she knows who it was. I was thinking about it (that book, "Thinking For Dummies" has really paid off) and maybe I was being too harsh. I would doubt she is like this at higher level games and maybe she was just trying to be extremely protective of the young girls. She's been around for a while and she probably wouldn't be if this was how she was all the time.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:02pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
I called the assignor and told him that if he ever thinks about scheduling me with her again, I'd rather be shot.
Did you indicate how you want to be shot?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Obviously, it wasn't Juulie, although she knows who it was. I was thinking about it (that book, "Thinking For Dummies" has really paid off) and maybe I was being too harsh. I would doubt she is like this at higher level games and maybe she was just trying to be extremely protective of the young girls. She's been around for a while and she probably wouldn't be if this was how she was all the time.
Which one is it? She can't be trusted to have a whistle, or she can't be trusted at this grade level? Even if she's only half as whistle happy in higher level games, that's still too many.

Glad you told your assignor. Too many of us just grumble in private.