The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Filled in for a 5th grade girls game last night. I had not worked with this partner in about 4 or 5 years. She has a tendency to call a lot of ticky tack fouls, but last night took the cake. I tossed to start the game, A1 hit the ball back to A2. B2 put her hands up to guard and TWEET! During the game, she constantly called shooting fouls when the defender had all ball and there was no body contact. She called at least 15 offensive fouls for the ball handler "pushing away the arm" of the defender or something similar. Not only did she call that many fouls, she had to give an explanation of almost every one: "White, 23, for putting her hands on the hip of the dribbler and not letting her change direction" and so on.

The home team won 36-26 and I don't even want to know how many free throws were attempted. We were in double bonus both teams both halves. Six girls fouled out, three on each team, so I guess it "evened out". Oh yeah, she called a ton of violations, too, including travel on virtually every jump stop.

It got to the point where I heard spectators saying things like, "It only took her 10 seconds to call one this time. I win the pool".

Both coaches approached me a few times during breaks to see if there was anything I could do. Now you may be wondering why I didn't discuss these things with her during the game. Let's just say she is not very responsive to constructive criticism.

BTW - I called seven fouls in the whole game and I don't think I missed any in my area. The game took almost 2 hours. I called the assignor and told him that if he ever thinks about scheduling me with her again, I'd rather be shot.
I worked with her male counterpart a fe wmonths ago after I told him to keep the game moving as I was booked a short time after our games. Double bonus 1st quarter.......
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

I once coached a middle school team in a conference of private schools. The level of play was better than rec, but still below that of the local public schools.
I had one game that season where I had the misfortune of watching both teams attempt a total of 88 foul shots (50 by my team). I believe I had 4 (maybe 5) players foul out, and I know the other team was somewhere in that range. They also had their head coach ejected fairly early in the 3rd quarter. It was by far the longest game I ever coached.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
I once coached a middle school team in a conference of private schools. The level of play was better than rec, but still below that of the local public schools.
I had one game that season where I had the misfortune of watching both teams attempt a total of 88 foul shots (50 by my team). I believe I had 4 (maybe 5) players foul out, and I know the other team was somewhere in that range. They also had their head coach ejected fairly early in the 3rd quarter. It was by far the longest game I ever coached.
Instead of playing a game, why didn't the official's just split up and have both teams line up at the free throw line, at their own end of the court, and have each player shoot 10 free throws? They could count how many were made, and the team that hit the most would be declared the winner. There was no use in "playing" the game. There was no "game". It was just a free throw shooting contest.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

That crossed my mind midway through the 3rd quarter.

It was a strange night. I had few complaints about the officiating in any game before or after that one, and I will say the two that night were consistent. They did seem to throw the concept of advantage/disadvantage out before the game started.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:50am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Filled in for a 5th grade girls game last night. I had not worked with this partner in about 4 or 5 years. She has a tendency to call a lot of ticky tack fouls, but last night took the cake. I tossed to start the game, A1 hit the ball back to A2. B2 put her hands up to guard and TWEET! During the game, she constantly called shooting fouls when the defender had all ball and there was no body contact. She called at least 15 offensive fouls for the ball handler "pushing away the arm" of the defender or something similar. Not only did she call that many fouls, she had to give an explanation of almost every one: "White, 23, for putting her hands on the hip of the dribbler and not letting her change direction" and so on.

The home team won 36-26 and I don't even want to know how many free throws were attempted. We were in double bonus both teams both halves. Six girls fouled out, three on each team, so I guess it "evened out". Oh yeah, she called a ton of violations, too, including travel on virtually every jump stop.

It got to the point where I heard spectators saying things like, "It only took her 10 seconds to call one this time. I win the pool".

Both coaches approached me a few times during breaks to see if there was anything I could do. Now you may be wondering why I didn't discuss these things with her during the game. Let's just say she is not very responsive to constructive criticism.

BTW - I called seven fouls in the whole game and I don't think I missed any in my area. The game took almost 2 hours. I called the assignor and told him that if he ever thinks about scheduling me with her again, I'd rather be shot.

Mark:

I am so hurt that you outed me.

Marcia Tomasina DeNucci
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Now I do not feel so bad.

I thought my game on Friday I called too many in a quarter and a half. I called 9 out of 10 fouls all on one team during a quarter and a half period of time. And I probably called 4 on one player. I was not happy about that.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:56am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I thought my game on Friday I called too many in a quarter and a half. I called 9 out of 10 fouls all on one team during a quarter and a half period of time. And I probably called 4 on one player. I was not happy about that.

Peace

Rut:

Don't beat yourself up over it. It happens. You and I have been officiating long enough to know that these things even out over the course of a season and a career. I remember one time in a three-person game I blow my whistle twice in the first half, both out-of-bounds calls. It just happens that way.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 02:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rut:

Don't beat yourself up over it. It happens. You and I have been officiating long enough to know that these things even out over the course of a season and a career. I remember one time in a three-person game I blow my whistle twice in the first half, both out-of-bounds calls. It just happens that way.

MTD, Sr.
You are right, the next afternoon, I did not call a foul for the first quarter and a couple of minutes. It was lovely.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rut:

MTD, Sr.

Wow.........good timing, my partners joked that they were doing a two man game last night. I just didn't have much in my area and I didn't go poaching.

I felt a little funny, but it happens.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 07:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This is an interesting discussion for me for this reason - On several occasions evaluators have said to me or others - "You/your partner are calling the entire game" or "Do you/your partner realize you made the last six calls or called the last four fouls?" "I need you to go get one." or "I need you to get a call."

While I understand the points made - hey, if it ain't happening in your area tonight, it ain't happening. Any thoughts on the above school of thought of not wanting/giving the perception that one official is maybe stronger and calling the entire game?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 08:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This is an interesting discussion for me for this reason - On several occasions evaluators have said to me or others - "You/your partner are calling the entire game" or "Do you/your partner realize you made the last six calls or called the last four fouls?" "I need you to go get one." or "I need you to get a call."

While I understand the points made - hey, if it ain't happening in your area tonight, it ain't happening. Any thoughts on the above school of thought of not wanting/giving the perception that one official is maybe stronger and calling the entire game?
During my first camp, I asked a question and a college official told me possibly the worst piece of advice that I ever heard. I have since come to learn that he's a relic on the board of college officials. If you're L and there's nobody in your primary, you aren't expected to call anything - "don't look outside your area" was a direct quote. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I worked with her male counterpart a fe wmonths ago after I told him to keep the game moving as I was booked a short time after our games. Double bonus 1st quarter.......
DISCLAIMER: I'm so new that I haven't become registered yet, but I've played and coached a lot of years.

My thought at seeing this comment was why should anyone care where/when you're booked for the next game? Aren't we supposed to call what we see - without being influenced by anything else?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
DISCLAIMER: I'm so new that I haven't become registered yet, but I've played and coached a lot of years.

My thought at seeing this comment was why should anyone care where/when you're booked for the next game? Aren't we supposed to call what we see - without being influenced by anything else?
dsqrddgd909:

Generally speaking your observation is correct. However; as you advance in your understanding of officiating you will begin to develop personal preferences, officiating philosophies and so on....

My interpretation of comments that appear persnickety are most often just that.... officials airing their displeasure about significant difference in officiating philosophies or more frustratingly working with someone who extremely lacks rules knowledge, mechanics, and game management skills.

Now if you don't mind, I will go back to my reclusive corner and dig into my rule book.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the insight. I have to remind myself that online forums do not afford the luxury of hearing a poster's tone, background or experiences. I will try to remember not to read too much into any particular post.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 08:38am
Administrator

Remember the first three rules of basketball officiating: Stay true to your line; officiate your primary area; and trust your partner.

Having said, when an official has off-ball coverage in his primary area there will be times when he will have to expand primary area to cover off-ball action (this concept is very important in two-man games but not as important in three-man games), but it should not be at the expense of missing something right in front of him.

My advice, is to let the game come to you. Don't go looking for boogers as we say in baseball. I have had two-man games where I had 10 of the first 12 fouls; it seemed like I was doing everything and my partner did not exist. It happens, and then I have had games where it seemed like nothing was ever going to happen in my area.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio