The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I had the dreaded situation where the book had the wrong number in it and had to be changed when he came into the game. It was a t. The coach was arguing that it should not count as a team foul. I had not ever thought about it till then. I couldn't find anything in the rule book that says one way or the other, but I did find that in rule 4 it stated that all personal and technical fouls count towards the team foul.

Is there any mention other than that anywhere in the NFHS rule book?
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

you got it right- all pesonal fouls and technical fouls count toward team foul situation (in NFHS). Other rules (particularly NBA) are different.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
See the technical-foul penalty summary towards the end of the book (page 76 in 03-04 book).
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 03:12pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
you got it right- all pesonal fouls and technical fouls count toward team foul situation (in NFHS). Other rules (particularly NBA) are different.
Kelvin's right on the mark here. NFHS makes it simple with all T's counting towards the bonus.

In NCAA, Administrative T's do not.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man

Neither do any other indirect technical foul (which, in addition to administrative Ts, include grasping the rim, dunking during warmups, delay of game, etc).
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Also in the NBA, administrative technicals aren't charged towards a player or coach. An excessive timeout, delay of game, illegal defense (aka defensive three seconds), or leaving the coach's box (unless it was flagrant) cannot result in a player being ejected, nor can it count towards a player's limit.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:

Neither do any other indirect technical foul (which, in addition to administrative Ts, include grasping the rim, dunking during warmups, delay of game, etc).
Let's keep this straight. All T's count toward the team total, including grasping the rim, dunking during warmups, delay of game, etc. Some T's are ALSO indirects. Grasping the rim is one Technical foul. But it counts toward the personal fouls of the indiv, toward the 2 T's the indiv is allowed, toward the team total, and as an indirect toward the coach. It's only one T, not four, but it counts in four different places. All indirect Technicals represent a T that counts toward the team total, but the indirect doesn't ADD another T to the team total.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 09:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Grasping the rim is an indirect on the coach? Is this NCAA? Is this only the case during warmups? Don't have my book handy here at work, but I can't imagine hitting the coach with an indirect for the actions of a player on the court.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Grasping the rim is an indirect on the coach? Is this NCAA? Is this only the case during warmups? Don't have my book handy here at work, but I can't imagine hitting the coach with an indirect for the actions of a player on the court.
During warm-ups it's a T on the player, with an indirect on the coach. Don't you remember that all time classic about the kids who were mad at the coach so three of them grasped the basket in warm-ups and the coach was gone? The part that'n not usually told is that they all ran lines for an hour during practice the next week, and pounded pine for the next two weeks.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sorry, Juulie,
For some reason I thought you were alluding to "grasping the rim" during play.
My goof.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

Let's keep this straight. All T's count toward the team total, including grasping the rim, dunking during warmups, delay of game, etc. Some T's are ALSO indirects. Grasping the rim is one Technical foul. But it counts toward the personal fouls of the indiv, toward the 2 T's the indiv is allowed, toward the team total, and as an indirect toward the coach. It's only one T, not four, but it counts in four different places. All indirect Technicals represent a T that counts toward the team total, but the indirect doesn't ADD another T to the team total.
I think Juulie is giving the FED rule, while the part of the thread she quoted was referring to NCAA rules.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

I think Juulie is giving the FED rule, while the part of the thread she quoted was referring to NCAA rules.
Yea, you're right. Lotto quoted the NCAA reference, but didn't say it himself, so I jumped the track. Perhaps I should change my sig line to specify Fed rules, like Chuck did for his NCAA Mens.