The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Individual Mechanics Question

I'm a first year official and I've received great advice from numerous officials about individual mechanics. My question deals with visible counts. An official told me last week that whenever an official counts, he should count with his arm that is farthest away from the action. He said this applies for the five- second throw-in count as well as the ten-second count. This necessitates, in some cases, chopping time with the left hand. Is this appropriate? For some reason, I thought that starting and stopping the clock was only done with the right hand. I wish that NFHS would publish some manual just on officials mechanics, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 06:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Not sure there is an iron-clad answer here. I was taught to be ambidextrous and try to use the hand/arm closest to the table/benches so the coaches and table can see you clearly. Doesn't work in all cases, but I try to use it.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckley View Post
I'm a first year official and I've received great advice from numerous officials about individual mechanics. My question deals with visible counts. An official told me last week that whenever an official counts, he should count with his arm that is farthest away from the action. He said this applies for the five- second throw-in count as well as the ten-second count. This necessitates, in some cases, chopping time with the left hand. Is this appropriate? For some reason, I thought that starting and stopping the clock was only done with the right hand. I wish that NFHS would publish some manual just on officials mechanics, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.
Generally good advice.

The idea is to prevent any accidental interference by the official with the game action. However, I have been instructed to always count towards the table when doing the 10-second count in the backcourt.

You are the first person that I have ever heard make such a claim.

They do.

http://www.nfhs.com/index.asp?cmd=sh...ory&param_0=62
1. 2007-2009 Basketball Officials Manual
Item #: BKOM09
Retail Price: $6.95

Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 06:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I was taught:

- admin throw-ins with the arm beside the player to start the clock
- switch arms when starting a new count

Right of left - it doesn't matter. In fact, I stop the clock with the same arm needed to point direction.

I echo grunewar's statement abpit being ambidextrous and trying to use the hand/arm closest to the table/benches, when possible.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all for your responses.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

I've never heard of this suggestion (counting with the arm away from the action). I personally never worry about interfering because I'm never close enough to the players to touch them. Also, when I'm counting closely guarded, I was taught to change arms when the player picks up his dribble or begins to dribble and the count resets.

Some guys make up weird stuff when asked for advice. I've certainly never seen this in a manual or heard it at a clinic.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckley View Post
Eckley,
You will find that there are differing "schools of thought" on some of the mechanics that are not spelled out in the mechanics manual. There are folks who feel that the five-second throw-in count and ten-second back court count should always be done with the hand nearest the benches so that the coaches can see. You will have others who subscribe to the theory that you should always count with the hand away from the player.

The challenge is that on a throw-in that takes place in the back court, the five second count along with the 10 second count would be done with the same hand.

I think that nearly all officials would tell you that you should use one hand for the first count and the other for the next count (regardless whether that is a 10 second count or changing from a 10 second count to a 5 second closely-guarded count or when changing from one closely guarded count to another).

I try to subscribe to the Theory of Rome on such mechanics -- as in when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Do what the assignor(s) are looking for you to do. If they don't have a preference, do what is comfortable for you. In the case of count-based mechanics, the most important things are that they are VISIBLE and that they are started/stopped at the PROPER TIME.

By the way, I have never heard that you start/stop the clock only with your right hand. I have always been taught to stop the clock with the hand that will allow you to point team direction without turning your back to signal the ball being out of bounds.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 09:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I was taught:

- admin throw-ins with the arm beside the player to start the clock
- switch arms when starting a new count

Right of left - it doesn't matter. In fact, I stop the clock with the same arm needed to point direction.

I echo grunewar's statement abpit being ambidextrous and trying to use the hand/arm closest to the table/benches, when possible.
This is how I do it, although I can't say I ever worry about the table. I probably default to my right hand without thinking about it, though, when starting a fresh count (unless I'm going from one count to the next.)
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I have always been taught to stop the clock with the hand that will allow you to point team direction without turning your back to signal the ball being out of bounds.
Without turning your back to what? Once heard that violations and direction signals should always be presented facing the benches. True? I'd heard of never crossing your arm across your body, but ... As someone else noted just above, a lot of guys have their own, um, "interesting" interps to things.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:52am
Courageous When Prudent

I try to use the arm away from the thrower-in on throws-in.

However, I do not put any consideration as to which arm is closer to tableside when doing my 10-second count.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I almost always count with the hand nearer the player on a throw-in. I put my opposite hand up as I hand or bounce the ball, then back off (if it was handed) as I begin my count.

I'm never anywhere near close enough to the player to cause problems.

As far as on the court, I use whichever hand I wasn't using last, normally. I don't care whether it faces the benches or not.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Without turning your back to what?
Without turning your back on the players. You still have dead ball officiating responsibilities.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Without turning your back on the players. You still have dead ball officiating responsibilities.
Indeed. In that college game where a player got nailed for a player control foul and then stepped on his opponent's head, the official turned his back on the play while signaling the foul. He turned around just in time to see the assault.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Indeed. In that college game where a player got nailed for a player control foul and then stepped on his opponent's head, the official turned his back on the play while signaling the foul. He turned around just in time to see the assault.
This is why I find it less necessary to "sell calls" in this manner. The CO on that play turned his body to punch the other way. Yes, it helped in the selling of the ball, but it also removed his attention away from the play for a split second. His better judgment prevailed, which is good.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

I always do my five second inbounds count with my hand closest to the thrower and chop the clock with my outside hand. This usually means I do the 10 second count with my outside hand, assuming we're inbounding on the baseline. This makes me switch hands when switching counts.

I start a closely guarded count with one hand and always switch when the player picks up the dribble or starts the dribble.

I've gotten to be ambidextrous on everything except fouls. I can count with either hand, chop the clock with either hand, and stop the clock with an open hand with either hand, but for some reason I can only use my right arm for fouls. I'm going to make it a point the rest of the season to start using my left arm for fouls also.