The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 09:23pm

Mechanics question

I was always taught not to be moving when calling safe/out or fair/foul when we go out on the ball. They always drilled it into us to stop, set, see it, and call it.

Why then do I always see the MLB guys continue chasing the play, and don't set up when they go out? I see it all the time. For example, the last play of the ESPN game tonight between Florida and Chicago had a ball down the right field line which 3 fielders converged, one made the catch, and then here comes Brian Runge running up with his head bobbing up and down signaling fair and a catch. Do they just want to make sure they are in the camera shot?

This is the reason Ritchie Garcia missed the call on that Jeffrey Mayer play in 1999, because he was still running instead of being set at the crucial point. It is also the reason Bob Davidson called that home run a double in the WBC last month. He was too busy trying to show how much he hustles, when actually over-hustled and did not see the ball obviously hit the foul pole.

Can someone explain to me why we are to get as far out there as we can and then get set for the play, and many of the MLB guys don't find it necessary to do the same thing?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

I understand what you are saying but what do you care what the pros do? You are being paid by your association to do the job the way that you were taught. I know that it stinks when you see the pros moving and calling but they can get away with that - we armatures cannot.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you SD but also with Ozzy on the account that the "Blue" should be in a set position when making the call, that's what I have been taught. However, the MLBU have been taught this as well but pick up habits that are not the mechanic that they learned. Hey, they are in the bigs and have the job, as Ozzy said, that is why they can do it.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

There's a difference between being set to SEE the play and moving while you MAKE the call. Since perception is everything, sometimes we can appear to be "closer" to the play by being set to actually see the catch/no catch and then move towards the play as you make your signal. It's a little trick to apease coaches so it makes it look like we are on top of the play.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Some pro instructors will tell you that many of the MLB umpires are great umpires with poor mechanics. Then they will let you figure that out...
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Some pro instructors will tell you that many of the MLB umpires are great umpires with poor mechanics. Then they will let you figure that out...

And some of them "were" great umpires who are now just good umpires as they get older and slower.

But its a fraternity and its job security etc.,

thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I've noticed that sometimes the pro's seem to be running just for the sake of running. Something I've heard called "false hustle". Now, it might be that they are set when seeing the catch, but then sprint to get closer to the play to make the signal.

We know that angle is more important then distance, but unfortunately the other's around us don't. So, we might want to move closer to the play while signaling to appease those people.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Often on a close play, I will set to make my call then take a few more steps toward the base or where ever the play was. It gives the impression that not only did I have the proper angle but I was closer to the play. Many people (maybe some coaches) do not understand angle or distance.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 12:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
There's a difference between being set to SEE the play and moving while you MAKE the call. Since perception is everything, sometimes we can appear to be "closer" to the play by being set to actually see the catch/no catch and then move towards the play as you make your signal. It's a little trick to apease coaches so it makes it look like we are on top of the play.
When I go to MLB games, I go to watch the umpires for the most part. Instead of watching where the ball is going, I watch the umpire who has the call on the ball. And I see them not getting set for the calls, but running full bore and making their signals and calls on a dead run.

Watching Brian Runge come running up pointing fair and giving the out signal just prompted me to start this thread.

I know the answer to my question now. It is that they are in The Show, and I'm not, so get over it.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

How dare I ....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
When I go to MLB games, I go to watch the umpires for the most part. Instead of watching where the ball is going, I watch the umpire who has the call on the ball. And I see them not getting set for the calls, but running full bore and making their signals and calls on a dead run.

Watching Brian Runge come running up pointing fair and giving the out signal just prompted me to start this thread.

I know the answer to my question now. It is that they are in The Show, and I'm not, so get over it.

I know a lowly varsity and JUCO umpire like myself should not deign to be critical of our professional brethren, but in tonight's Red Sox - Indians game, the plate umpire (Drecker, Brecker whatever) head is constantly moving, looking "around" the catcher at pitches. He also takes off his HSM with both hands.

Now, back to my hovel, for 21 lashes for daring to critique a Big Dog.

Doug
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
I know a lowly varsity and JUCO umpire like myself should not deign to be critical of our professional brethren, but in tonight's Red Sox - Indians game, the plate umpire (Drecker, Brecker whatever) head is constantly moving, looking "around" the catcher at pitches. He also takes off his HSM with both hands.

Now, back to my hovel, for 21 lashes for daring to critique a Big Dog.

Doug
Bruce Dreckman. Mike Reilly, Ed Rapuano & Bruce Froemming also watch pitches with a LOT of head movement. Although I do not like the helmet, there are many guys who remove it with two hands.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Nobody moves more that Joe Brinkman. But he gets pitches right.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 11:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
My biggest problem is finding a hat with the TASO logo that fits. I always wear a 7 3/8. I had to buy a 7 1/4 that is tight tight. The 7 3/8 swallowed me for some reason. You would think the next hat size down would be a perfect fit. It's tough having a beautiful head of hair like I do. Long and thick just like the ladies like it.
I thought your biggest problem was finding a big enough hat!
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 07:16am
In Memoriam

Arrow Give me down to there, shoulder length or longer....

Quote:
My biggest problem is finding a hat with the TASO logo that fits. I always wear a 7 3/8. I had to buy a 7 1/4 that is tight tight. The 7 3/8 swallowed me for some reason. You would think the next hat size down would be a perfect fit.
PWL,
I was in Honigs warehouse and tried on some hats from 7-1/4 to 7-1/2.
In each size there is a range of fit greater than one would think.

That is to say, with a little luck you may be able to fine a larger 7-1/4.
I usually wear 7-3/8, but I have found that when my 7-1/2 gets snug, I need a haircut.
mick
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
PWL:

Get a haircut!!!

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.