The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
The NCAA doesn't have the power to suspend the player in a non-NCAA Tournament game. It is usually up to the team and or conference.
I do not know that is necessarily true. I think the NCAA leaves most decisions up to conferences or teams, but I know there are some built in suspensions that the NCAA is over. It might be unprecedented to suspend a player for an act that resulted in an ejection, but to say they do not have the power is probably overstating the reality.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know that is necessarily true. I think the NCAA leaves most decisions up to conferences or teams, but I know there are some built in suspensions that the NCAA is over. It might be unprecedented to suspend a player for an act that resulted in an ejection, but to say they do not have the power is probably overstating the reality.

Peace
If nothing else, they could always "lean" on a conference or school to "do the right thing." Not that they would on this.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If nothing else, they could always "lean" on a conference or school to "do the right thing." Not that they would on this.
Updated: January 26, 2009, 6:33 PM ET
C-USA suspends Coleman 1 game

Comment Email Print
ESPN.com news services

Houston junior guard Aubrey Coleman received a one-game suspension on Monday for stepping on the face of Arizona's Chase Budinger on Saturday.
Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky announced the penalty, saying that "instances of flagrant misconduct require suspension."
Coleman, the team's second-leading scorer at 18.1 points per game, was ejected from the contest with 9:51 left in the second half. Arizona rallied for a 96-90 win in overtime.
Coleman expressed regret on Sunday.
"I want to apologize to Chase Budinger for what happened Saturday night. I never meant to step on him," Coleman said in a statement issued by the school. "I have never been in an incident like this before, and I have nothing but respect for him as a great player.
"I love the game too much to do something like that intentionally. I want to say I am sorry from the bottom of my heart," Coleman said. "I know that God knows what is in my heart, but I am hopeful that Chase will understand and forgive."
Coleman will serve his suspension on Wednesday when Houston plays UTEP.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

lol 1 game thats it -- ahhhhhhaaaaaaa -- i love the deterrent -- it would mean a lot more if it were 1 game in the NCAA tournament!
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

I believe that another flagrant act would mean a longer suspension. I do not think you need another deterrent when things like these happen very seldom in the first place. That is about what they would get in most high school settings unless there was action taken by a state organization.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

One game? Oh, that most definitely sends a message.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 08:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I believe that another flagrant act would mean a longer suspension. I do not think you need another deterrent when things like these happen very seldom in the first place. That is about what they would get in most high school settings unless there was action taken by a state organization.

Peace
I agree, unless there's a history I don't know about with this kid; one game seems sufficient.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

Updated: January 28, 2009, 5:00 PM ET
FBI investigating calls, e-mails

Comment Email Print
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
Archive

University of Houston officials said the FBI is investigating racially charged e-mails and calls directed toward the Cougars basketball team, and specifically junior guard Aubrey Coleman after he was ejected for a flagrant foul in last Saturday's overtime loss at Arizona when he appeared to step on Chase Budinger's face.
FBI special agent Pat Villafranca out of the Houston FBI media office said Wednesday as a matter of policy it doesn't confirm or deny an investigation. But a member of the Houston media relations staff did say Wednesday that there was an FBI presence at the school. Houston coach Tom Penders said that Coleman, and members of the team, have been getting "very ugly" e-mails over the incident. "There's been a lot of racial slurs," said Coleman, who is black. Budinger is white. "It's crazy. I saved the e-mails. I haven't been contacted, but I do know the police and the FBI were at the practices to make sure everything was safe." Coleman was suspended for Wednesday night's game against UTEP by Conference USA. A Conference USA spokesperson said Wednesday that the information presented to the league office supported Coleman being suspended under the league's sportsmanship policy. Courtney Morrison-Archer of C-USA said that the league office agreed with the official call on the court last Saturday of Coleman being ejected for a flagrant foul. A flagrant foul of this nature was cause for a violation of the sportsmanship policy. Penders said he's not going to question C-USA's decision. But Penders and Coleman dispute the intent. Coleman said he was surprised by the suspension because he said the issue had been "blown out of proportion with everyone saying I was the bad guy." "I've been very depressed on how the public and the media put this out, like I did it on purpose," Coleman said. "I wish it didn't happen. I'm not that type of person. Chase is a great player and I would never try to do that." Penders said Coleman is being unfairly vilified by the way the video was edited and shown nationally. Budinger was taking a charge on Coleman late in regulation at midcourt. Penders said Coleman was trying to see what the call was when he looked back and wasn't looking down when he stepped on Budinger. "He attempted to step over Chase; at no time did he mean to hurt the kid," Penders said. "It's clear on the replay that he never touches his face, but his shoulder." Coleman said he thought Budinger was flopping on the play. He said he thought it was going to be a block, not a charge. He said he looked up, reacted, and then "I tried to step over him. He knows it was his shoulder. I even rolled my ankle [trying to avoid] him. I wanted to see if he was OK, but he was up on me," he said. Arizona interim coach Russ Pennell said Wednesday that the Wildcats considered the matter closed once Coleman issued a public apology and then was suspended by C-USA. But Pennell disputed Coleman's claims that he didn't hit Budinger's face. "He definitely clipped his face and then his foot slid to his shoulder," Pennell said. "Was he aiming for his face? I don't know. But it's hard to believe that he was trying to step over him." Coleman and Penders also challenge that Coleman was celebrating after being ejected, despite what was shown on the edited highlight. Coleman said teammate Nick Mosley came up to him and patted him on the shoulder and that's when "I smiled, shook his hand and walked to the locker room. The crowd was going crazy." Coleman said he wasn't high-fiving teammates or celebrating that he had been ejected. Penders asked rhetorically why Coleman, the team's leading scorer, would want to get ejected or celebrate it with the Cougars ahead with 9:51 left in the game? Arizona declined to make Budinger available for comment. Coleman said he will be on the bench for Wednesday's game. He said he wants to focus on his return Saturday at Memphis. "I apologized," Coleman said. "I know I didn't do this intentionally." Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 05:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thanks for the update Nevada. There's always two sides to every story......
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
This tape underscores why it's important to watch the players in dead ball situations.
I concur on this. We must manage dead ball situations better!!!!!
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
When have you seen the NCAA step in and suspend a player or players for an on court incident that was not a NCAA Tourney game?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Penders claims ESPN doctored tape

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2...084x1201199837

Unnecessary Roughness

Michael Ignatov, Arizona Daily Wildcat - Houston guard Aubrey Coleman steps on Arizona's Chase Budinger during a game Saturday. Coleman, who denies the act was intentional, was charged with a flagrant foul and was ejected from the game.
Click through for more unnecessary roughness.
NOTE: AOL does not control caption content, which comes from the photo provider.

Yet that's what's happening. On Saturday, the Arizona Wildcats (Bear Down!) took down Tom Penders' Houston Cougars in overtime, but the real story came when Aubrey Coleman smashed his foot down on Chase Budinger's face, causing Budinger to jump up (like any normal human would do) and go after Coleman.

The video that was on "Sportscenter" is right here. Watch it. Take it in, because Penders is saying that ESPN doctored the video.
They doctored it up, they put this X-ray vision thing in as if Aubrey was looking down, which painted a very poor picture of what actually happened," Penders told the Houston Chronicle's Lance Zeirlein. "We have replays from the game where they went through the entire sequence and run them back in slow motion. Aubrey's eyes never do anything but look straight ahead and then upward towards the ceiling when he saw the official give the charge signal. ESPN made it look like he was looking down and I thought it was a total distortion. And I think it was intentional on their part because I worked there and I've seen them do this kind of thing and they can do a lot with television. They can doctor it up."

Penders went on to say that he even called Norby Williamson (Norby!) and left messages but nobody has returned the call.

At first I thought this was a little ridiculous by Penders, but if you watch the video you do see what he is talking about. Coleman looks straight ahead and even though I think he knew what he was doing, he never looked down, but the graphic they added sure makes it seem like he did. I guess the best view of the whole thing comes from this picture from The Daily Wildcat in Tucson, where his face is straight ahead. That picture basically proves Penders' point.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Gulf Coast Blue;573574]
The video that was on "Sportscenter" is right here. Watch it. Take it in, because Penders is saying that ESPN doctored the video.
They doctored it up, they put this X-ray vision thing in as if Aubrey was looking down, which painted a very poor picture of what actually happened," Penders told the Houston Chronicle's Lance Zeirlein. "We have replays from the game where they went through the entire sequence and run them back in slow motion. Aubrey's eyes never do anything but look straight ahead and then upward towards the ceiling when he saw the official give the charge signal. ESPN made it look like he was looking down and I thought it was a total distortion. And I think it was intentional on their part because I worked there and I've seen them do this kind of thing and they can do a lot with television. They can doctor it up."
[quote]

OK coach, even it that were true - because its clear to me that the guy looks down sees him and then looks up and stomps him - If I'm truly trying to step over a guy laying on the ground without harm I'm GOING to look down so I know where I'm going and make sure I don't step on him.

I'm not going to blindly keep looking forward and claim ignorance after I face plant him with my shoe.

Even better why do I even take almost 4 more steps to get to him, why don't I just stop and not even walk over him to begin with. Just ridiculous all around.

Last edited by eyezen; Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 07:17pm.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

ahhhh lol -- because we dont have something called peripheral vision -- and he had NO idea that the other player (who is as big as mugsy bogues right) on the floor in front of him. Hes just a smart cunning player.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 08:31pm
In Time Out

anyone who is a player or knows anything about basketball knows he didn't try to avoid the 'Face'