The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Houston vs Arizona - Flagrant/Ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51178-houston-vs-arizona-flagrant-ejection.html)

grunewar Sun Jan 25, 2009 01:43pm

Houston vs Arizona - Flagrant/Ejection

What a horrible display of unsportsmanlike behavior!

The Officials were all over this one.......

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab,136602

JugglingReferee Sun Jan 25, 2009 01:58pm

A PC and a DQ... nice job officials!

What a stupid play by Red 12. Aubrey Coleman is his name.

26 Year Gap Sun Jan 25, 2009 02:02pm

Just wonder if the school & the NCAA have the guts to follow through and do what is right by suspending him. I won't hold my breath.

mutantducky Sun Jan 25, 2009 03:17pm

a 2 game suspension would be nice

eyezen Sun Jan 25, 2009 03:23pm

Penders said. "I'm just sorry the official interpreted it that way. The way I saw it, Aubrey got tangled and his momentum carried him forward and I think it was a mistake."

uhm, OK coach. :rolleyes:

zm1283 Sun Jan 25, 2009 03:38pm

Penders is a turd. Don't even listen to him.

AKOFL Sun Jan 25, 2009 04:04pm

They sould have cleared the rest of the Houston team from the gym and let the Arizona team at him for a few minutes. That would have made more of an impression on a guy like that. The reffs did a good job and were right on top of it.

ga314ref Sun Jan 25, 2009 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 572146)
They sould have cleared the rest of the Houston team from the gym and let the Arizona team at him for a few minutes. That would have made more of an impression on a guy like that. The reffs did a good job and were right on top of it.

This tape underscores why it's important to watch the players in dead ball situations.

Rich Sun Jan 25, 2009 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 572138)
Penders said. "I'm just sorry the official interpreted it that way. The way I saw it, Aubrey got tangled and his momentum carried him forward and I think it was a mistake."

And that turd Penders should get a game or two off for that line of BS.

LeeBallanfant Sun Jan 25, 2009 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 572141)
Penders is a turd. Don't even listen to him.

Many moons ago when I played HS basketball in Fairfield, Conn. probably the most respected official was Penders' father in both Basketball and Football. A true gentleman who coaches would request for big games.

Obviously that never transferred down to the son, who has to be at the top of the all time A**hole lists for coaches.

zm1283 Sun Jan 25, 2009 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 572233)
Many moons ago when I played HS basketball in Fairfield, Conn. probably the most respected official was Penders' father in both Basketball and Football. A true gentleman who coaches would request for big games.

Obviously that never transferred down to the son, who has to be at the top of the all time A**hole lists for coaches.

A few years ago, I think it was the 05-06 season, Penders' Houston team came to play Missouri State in Springfield during the NIT. That was the year that the Missouri Valley had four teams in the NCAA tournament, and Penders had made some comment earlier in the year about the Valley not being all that good. Needless to say, the welcome he received when he walked out of the tunnel was not cordial in the least bit. Thankfully Missouri State sent him packing with a loss. (I think he made some not-so-nice comments during the postgame press conference as well)

So yes, he is on the a-hole list for sure.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 26, 2009 05:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 572138)

Updated: January 25, 2009, 9:29 PM ET
Coleman says step on face accidental

Comment Email Print
<cite class="source"> Associated Press
</cite>

<!-- begin story body --> HOUSTON -- Houston guard Aubrey Coleman issued an apology Sunday after stepping on the face of Arizona player Chase Budinger during a game the previous day.
Coleman, a junior and the team's second-leading scorer, was ejected after stepping on Budinger's face following a charge call with 9:51 left in the second half. Arizona rallied for a 96-90 win in overtime.
"I want to apologize to Chase Budinger for what happened Saturday night. I never meant to step on him," Coleman said in a statement issued by the school. "I have never been in an incident like this before, and I have nothing but respect for him as a great player.
"I love the game too much to do something like that intentionally. I want to say I am sorry from the bottom of my heart," Coleman said. "I know that God knows what is in my heart, but I am hopeful that Chase will understand and forgive."
Houston coach Tom Penders said he regretted the incident but does not believe Coleman intentionally stepped on Budinger.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

grunewar Mon Jan 26, 2009 06:06am

Thanks for the update Nevada. I hope they both are sincere.......we'll see what happens next.

GoodwillRef Mon Jan 26, 2009 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 572121)
Just wonder if the school & the NCAA have the guts to follow through and do what is right by suspending him. I won't hold my breath.

The NCAA doesn't have the power to suspend the player in a non-NCAA Tournament game. It is usually up to the team and or conference.

AKOFL Mon Jan 26, 2009 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 572329)
Updated: January 25, 2009, 9:29 PM ET
Coleman says step on face accidental

Comment Email Print
<cite class="source"> Associated Press
</cite>

<!-- begin story body --> HOUSTON -- Houston guard Aubrey Coleman issued an apology Sunday after stepping on the face of Arizona player Chase Budinger during a game the previous day.
Coleman, a junior and the team's second-leading scorer, was ejected after stepping on Budinger's face following a charge call with 9:51 left in the second half. Arizona rallied for a 96-90 win in overtime.
"I want to apologize to Chase Budinger for what happened Saturday night. I never meant to step on him," Coleman said in a statement issued by the school. "I have never been in an incident like this before, and I have nothing but respect for him as a great player.
"I love the game too much to do something like that intentionally. I want to say I am sorry from the bottom of my heart," Coleman said. "I know that God knows what is in my heart, but I am hopeful that Chase will understand and forgive."
Houston coach Tom Penders said he regretted the incident but does not believe Coleman intentionally stepped on Budinger.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

thats why he rushed right over to appologise,:rolleyes: and why he was high fiving in the huddle with a big smile on his face.:mad: i'm sure God loved being mentioned by a bonehead on the hot seat. just come clean. i'm sorry that my emotions got the better of me and i did such a dumb thing.