The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

A 30-on me???

An unusual situation occurred in a Girls Varsity game on Saturday (one of my varsity partners was doing the game, but I was not). Coaches complaining about some calls -- but nothing that rose to the level of a technical foul. Players complaining -- but nothing that rose to the level of a technical foul. These assumptions made based on the fact that the officials had not called any technical fouls during the game up to that point.

Midway through third quarter, the referee blew his whistle and announced to the table, "We are taking a 30-second time out on ME." He then proceeded to summon both coaches to get the players together. Once the players were assembled, he announced, "We need the players to stop complaining about our calls and play basketball."

Comments?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I bet this wasn't my Alma Mater, St. Charles HS.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:32am
Suppref

Nice try on preventative officiating.

However, if in your pregame you have asked the coaches and players "Can we expect that you and your players will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the game?" then you have every right to use the technical foul. When the coach wants to know why calmly explain they failed to exhibit proper sporting behavior.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppref View Post
However, if in your pregame you have asked the coaches and players "Can we expect that you and your players will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the game?" then you have every right to use the technical foul. When the coach wants to know why calmly explain they failed to exhibit proper sporting behavior.
You use the T regardless of your pregame. Proper sporting behavior is to be expected as soon as they hit the gym, not something you have to remind them of like 4 year olds.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:41am
Suppref

Agreed..

However, IMO the "T" should be used only when warranted. Preventative officiating goes a long way in controlling a game and earnig respect. Sometimes the player or coaches take it too far and we "whack" them.

It is what it is!!
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
An unusual situation occurred in a Girls Varsity game on Saturday (one of my varsity partners was doing the game, but I was not). Coaches complaining about some calls -- but nothing that rose to the level of a technical foul. Players complaining -- but nothing that rose to the level of a technical foul. These assumptions made based on the fact that the officials had not called any technical fouls during the game up to that point.

Midway through third quarter, the referee blew his whistle and announced to the table, "We are taking a 30-second time out on ME." He then proceeded to summon both coaches to get the players together. Once the players were assembled, he announced, "We need the players to stop complaining about our calls and play basketball."

Comments?

I've done that before - years & years ago. I forget the cimcumstances though. It was a youth league game, IIRC.

It both teams are chirping a lot, and you want to penalize it, it does seem a little unfair to T one team up and not the other, when the first T can serve as a warning for the non-T'd team. However, at this point, it is usually because an official didn't take care of earlier business - whether blowing his whistle or not.

If it's at all possible, perhaps a simultaneous unsporting T can be used?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:51am
Suppref

I like it.

Since you explain it that way, if you are going to use the "T", "T" them both, no shots, alternating possession and the message is served.

Lets get on with the game!!
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I bet this wasn't my Alma Mater, St. Charles HS.
Nope, not at St. Charles. I have done many games there over the years, but this game was, indeed, somewhere else.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I've done that before - years & years ago. I forget the cimcumstances though. It was a youth league game, IIRC.

It both teams are chirping a lot, and you want to penalize it, it does seem a little unfair to T one team up and not the other, when the first T can serve as a warning for the non-T'd team. However, at this point, it is usually because an official didn't take care of earlier business - whether blowing his whistle or not.

If it's at all possible, perhaps a simultaneous unsporting T can be used?
Some things that immediately came into my mind include:
1. Where should the other two officials stand on a "30-on-me" time out?
2. How many "30-on-me"s does each official get each game?
3. What is the penalty if an official calls on "30-on-me", but does not have any left?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Since you explain it that way, if you are going to use the "T", "T" them both, no shots, alternating possession and the message is served.

Lets get on with the game!!
Wrong in most cases.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wrong in most cases.
Right would always be: point of interruption. This would be the AP arrow when neither team had control.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 12:58pm
Suppref

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Right would always be: point of interruption. This would be the AP arrow when neither team had control.
Although I don't calim to correct all the time (just most of the time), if the palyers are complaining it is usually when neither team has control, therefore, I suggested the AP for double technical.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest most times you would have a double T would be either trash-talking during a dead ball or while one team heads the other way after a play at the other end.

Neither of these situations would result in an AP throw-in. In fact, about the only time you'll have it is if you whack two guys after a shot is up and before it's rebounded - a time it would be very rare for two guys to be getting after each other in this way.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 04:14pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I did this once in a boys varsity game between two schools for the deaf. I didn't call a time-out, but used a dead ball opportunity to call both coaches together, and ask them to huddle with their teams for a few seconds and tell them enough of the trash-talking (signing). I did this only because I could understand it, but my partner didn't and I saw a few words exchanged. After that, it went much more smoothly.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 06:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Although I don't calim to correct all the time (just most of the time), if the palyers are complaining it is usually when neither team has control, therefore, I suggested the AP for double technical.
Look up the definition of POI again. POI is:
1. A throwin to the team in control. or
2. a free throw or throwin when the interruption occurred during the activity or if a team is entitled to such. (this will cover all dead ball scenarios.)
3. AP arrow if neither 1 nor 2 are applicable.

The odds of having a double technical during a live ball when neither team is in control (but not during a throwin or multiple free throws) are pretty slim. It would have to be either during a missed shot, including a final free throw, (remember if a shot is made, the POI becomes the throwin for the team that did not score) or between the time a throwin pass gets tipped and a player gets control or violates.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 06:20pm.