LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Exclamation

Second game of varsity doubleheader,Fed rules.Team A
player caught in rundown between 2nd and 3rd.Defense does
a good job of rotating,as I move up from the plate.Defender
takes throw,and steps into base path to make the tag.
My partner is behind the play,and i call the out.Team A
coach comes onto the field wanting to know why we didn't
call "interference".(Yes,he said interference!)He then informs me that the defender had no right to block the basepath,saying the tag could be made from the side.I let him know defender had ever right to his position,as he was in control of the ball and was making a play on the runner.
Coach the tells me all I'm doing is allowing a potential catastrophe on the field,to which I explain malicious contact to coach.Coach looks at me,shaking his head as if I'm daft........
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Your not trying to imply that some coach does'nt understand the rules are you? Especially at the varsity level.

You are hereby suspended and sent back to T ball.

Have a long and properous season!!!!!!!!
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

That coach probably learns his rules from the TV sports analysts. After A-Rod's interference last year, one of them explained that if the fielder making the tag had been in the running lane, then it would have been "interference" on the fielder and A-Rod would have been safe.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

There should be a Constitutional Amendment forbidding announcers from "interpreting" the rules.

Bob
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 05:31pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
There should be a Constitutional Amendment forbidding announcers from "interpreting" the rules.

Bob
All in favor?........"I"
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

"Aye"
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11

He then informs me that the defender had no right to block the basepath,saying the tag could be made from the side.I let him know defender had ever right to his position,as he was in control of the ball and was making a play on the runner.
Coach the tells me all I'm doing is allowing a potential catastrophe on the field,to which I explain malicious contact to coach.Coach looks at me,shaking his head as if I'm daft........
I think you did a great job when you told him the fielder had a right to be there because he had the ball and was making a play.

However, I'm not sure why you explained malicious contact to him. Just because a coach comes up with a dumb statement like a "potential catastrophe" could occur - disregard that statement and stick to what you said the first time.

Coaches are like lawyers, they keep bringing stuff up in hopes that you'll stumble on something. I think you stumped him with your first explanation so he then tried another/different angle (although he was reaching pretty far with that catastrophe statement).

My point is "LESS IS MORE".... meaning, the less you say, the better it is. Remember, "silence can never be misquoted". My response to his ignorant remark... "Coach, I understand what you're saying, but as I said, the fielder had possession of the ball, therefore there was no obstruction when he applied the tag".

By the way, it's early in the year - I'm sure you'll hear worse statements as the season goes on. Have a good year
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco

Coaches are like lawyers, ...
HEY! Enough with the insulting us lawyers!!!
I resemble that remark!
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

That wasn't an insult - Actually, great lawyers have a knack for getting people to talk more than they probably should while on the stand. Somebody once told me about that analogy and it has always stuck with me. Whenever i see Skip coming out of the dugout towards me, I always tell myself... here comes Johnny Cochran - keep your mouth shut and just answer the questions
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
That wasn't an insult - Actually, great lawyers have a knack for getting people to talk more than they probably should while on the stand. Somebody once told me about that analogy and it has always stuck with me. Whenever i see Skip coming out of the dugout towards me, I always tell myself... here comes Johnny Cochran - keep your mouth shut and just answer the questions
Always good advice
But equating lawyers with coaches ... them's fighting words.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Talking

yeah we should equate both of them into something else, like fish food.

and I agree on the announcers "interpetations" some of them prove daily that they may have been able to hit a ball but still have no clue about the game itself.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by cbfoulds
Quote:

Coaches are like lawyers, ...
HEY! Enough with the insulting us lawyers!!!
I resemble that remark!
NOW I know why you are like you are!
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 03:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:

He then informs me that the defender had no right to block the basepath,saying the tag could be made from the side.I let him know defender had ever right to his position,as he was in control of the ball and was making a play on the runner.
I think you did a great job when you told him the fielder had a right to be there because he had the ball and was making a play.

However, I'm not sure why you explained malicious contact to him. Just because a coach comes up with a dumb statement like a "potential catastrophe" could occur - disregard that statement and stick to what you said the first time.

Coaches are like lawyers, they keep bringing stuff up in hopes that you'll stumble on something. I think you stumped him with your first explanation so he then tried another/different angle (although he was reaching pretty far with that catastrophe statement).

My point is "LESS IS MORE".... meaning, the less you say, the better it is. Remember, "silence can never be misquoted". My response to his ignorant remark... "Coach, I understand what you're saying, but as I said, the fielder had possession of the ball, therefore there was no obstruction when he applied the tag".

By the way, it's early in the year - I'm sure you'll hear worse statements as the season goes on. Have a good year
"The fielder can always be in the basepath with the ball."

After that, give silence that can't be argued with. Then when the coach repeats himself, walk away.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:

Second game of varsity doubleheader,Fed rules..
...Oh wait, it was the SECOND game of a doubleheader? Never mind then, I was going to say something really REALLY intelligent, but it would sound Stoopid now because it would only be appropriate if this was the FIRST game of a doubleheader, because everybody knows that the rules are different between games of a doubleheader....
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Question

Huh??? Is it a problem that I mentioned the fact
that it was the SECOND game? Did I imply that changes
the rules?