The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

He beat me by half a second

Boys V game last night. Small loud gym. Two very fast run and gun teams. Home is a great 3 point shooting team. As 2nd quarter is winding down home misses shot and visitors get the rebound. He puts up a 3 from way inside the division line with 1.5 seconds left. I'm opposite the table so I give the preliminary signal. Swish. All net! I signal the 3 and basket good. Gym goes crazy. Home is up by about 10 at half but visitors battle back and tie it late in the 4th. Under a minute and visitors are down by 2. I'm C and watching my area very closely. V's big man posts up and drives for the shot. Misses the shot but pulls down his own rebound in paint. Stands there. I count 1-2-3- he starts to move. If he's going to put it up I've got nothing. He pulls the ball back, pivots, and starts looking to pass. 4-5... I inhale and start to swing my arm to signal 3 seconds when I hear T's whistle and see him signal 3 seconds and point. Gym goes wild. He beat me on the call by 1/2 a second. It was the only 3 second call of the night. Fans in first row are three feet from me and think I made the call. I get a hearty "Great call, Stripes!" Home gets fouled twice and ends up winning by 4. Good kids, good play, good sportsmanship on benches. Really fun night.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 06:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Good kids, good play, good sportsmanship on benches. Really fun night.
We should all be so lucky. Good for you!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

And then the alarm clock went off...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He beat me on the call by 1/2 a second.
Partner may have beat you by 1/2 a second, but I bet the whole crowd and opposing coach beat you by at least 4 seconds on that call
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:03am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Partner may have beat you by 1/2 a second, but I bet the whole crowd and opposing coach beat you by at least 4 seconds on that call
I see that both you and your partner have a "slow whistle."
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Tough crowd

The crowd here is tougher than the crowd you had.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Boys V game last night. Small loud gym. Two very fast run and gun teams. Home is a great 3 point shooting team. As 2nd quarter is winding down home misses shot and visitors get the rebound. He puts up a 3 from way inside the division line with 1.5 seconds left. I'm opposite the table so I give the preliminary signal. Swish. All net! I signal the 3 and basket good. Gym goes crazy. Home is up by about 10 at half but visitors battle back and tie it late in the 4th. Under a minute and visitors are down by 2. I'm C and watching my area very closely. V's big man posts up and drives for the shot. Misses the shot but pulls down his own rebound in paint. Stands there. I count 1-2-3- he starts to move. If he's going to put it up I've got nothing. He pulls the ball back, pivots, and starts looking to pass. 4-5... I inhale and start to swing my arm to signal 3 seconds when I hear T's whistle and see him signal 3 seconds and point. Gym goes wild. He beat me on the call by 1/2 a second. It was the only 3 second call of the night. Fans in first row are three feet from me and think I made the call. I get a hearty "Great call, Stripes!" Home gets fouled twice and ends up winning by 4. Good kids, good play, good sportsmanship on benches. Really fun night.
Isn't it signal basket good, then signal a 3 pointer? I'd bang it home, then raise arms.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You better knock on wood! Your next game may have 50 fouls and resemble a car wash.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Isn't it signal basket good, then signal a 3 pointer? I'd bang it home, then raise arms.
Agreed...you have the attempt, then you go to the fist for the foul, then go back to signal the three and then score the goal? Seems like you would first score the goal, then come back up with the three point signal...granted this pushes nitpicky to a new level...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:27am
MABO Member

Quote:
Agreed...you have the attempt, then you go to the fist for the foul, then go back to signal the three and then score the goal? Seems like you would first score the goal, then come back up with the three point signal...granted this pushes nitpicky to a new level...
Would it not be sufficient to signal the successful 3 point goal by normal mechanics. Just raise both hands in the air, then go to fist and indicate you also have the foul. Just thinking out loud here.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Where was a foul mentioned??
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Where was a foul mentioned??
My mistake, I didn't go back and re-read the original email, by "bang it home" I assumed you meant bang home the bucket on a foul rather than banging home the shot at the buzzer....same difference though meaning I would do the same, score it then indicate three...this is probably more preference than anything, don't know if there is a "correct" mechanic here...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Would it not be sufficient to signal the successful 3 point goal by normal mechanics. Just raise both hands in the air, then go to fist and indicate you also have the foul. Just thinking out loud here.
Now that I have taken the conversation in a completely different direction Going the sequence you have indicated just seems awkward to me. If I have a foul it is instinctual to me to go to a fist right away on the whistle...to go from signaling a 3-pt attempt, blow whistle, signal successful attempt, then go to fist and score the goal...just would be be difficult for me to separate the whistle from the foul signal...that said I don't know if there is a "correct" sequence here, if you do whatever is comfortable I don't think you're going to have a problem...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Under a minute and visitors are down by 2. I'm C and watching my area very closely. V's big man posts up and drives for the shot. Misses the shot but pulls down his own rebound in paint. Stands there. I count 1-2-3- he starts to move. If he's going to put it up I've got nothing. He pulls the ball back, pivots, and starts looking to pass. 4-5...
Are you saying that after he pivoted that you counted 4,5,..?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The post player was in the lane for 3 seconds with the ball then starts his move as soon as he pulls the ball back I am going to have a 3 second call. He was in the lane for what 6-7-8 seconds? It seems like you stopped counting on his move and then starting to count again when he picked up the ball. This is why we have the 3 second rule...this was a no brainer, but probably 3-4 seconds before you thought about it and your partner got it.