View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

He beat me by half a second

Boys V game last night. Small loud gym. Two very fast run and gun teams. Home is a great 3 point shooting team. As 2nd quarter is winding down home misses shot and visitors get the rebound. He puts up a 3 from way inside the division line with 1.5 seconds left. I'm opposite the table so I give the preliminary signal. Swish. All net! I signal the 3 and basket good. Gym goes crazy. Home is up by about 10 at half but visitors battle back and tie it late in the 4th. Under a minute and visitors are down by 2. I'm C and watching my area very closely. V's big man posts up and drives for the shot. Misses the shot but pulls down his own rebound in paint. Stands there. I count 1-2-3- he starts to move. If he's going to put it up I've got nothing. He pulls the ball back, pivots, and starts looking to pass. 4-5... I inhale and start to swing my arm to signal 3 seconds when I hear T's whistle and see him signal 3 seconds and point. Gym goes wild. He beat me on the call by 1/2 a second. It was the only 3 second call of the night. Fans in first row are three feet from me and think I made the call. I get a hearty "Great call, Stripes!" Home gets fouled twice and ends up winning by 4. Good kids, good play, good sportsmanship on benches. Really fun night.