The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Coach lies to evaluator

I had an evaluation yesterday. My 1st this year. I knew it was coming. I was ready.

I did 3 games. Boys 6th, 7th and 8th grade. The evaluation was during the 8th grade game.

My partner and I were on top of our game. I feel we both did an excellent job. Evaluator did too. He had only 2 pointers, one for each of us.

Here's the problem. He comes to me and said " What's this I hear about you telling a coach that you don't call fouls or walking when the game is out of hand ( one team winning by 20 or more )" I said, I never said any such thing. He says, I just sat over there and had a coach AND his assistant say that you told them that tonight. I said, I never said any such thing. He didn't seem to believe me. I explained what had happened -

Here's the reality. In the 8th grade game, which the assistant was the head coach, the visitor was complaining to me after the 1st quarter. He was whining about calls, his team was down 16 - 4. I listened and as I walked away, the other coach ( the assistant that lied ) said, man if I talked to you like that you'd "T" me up. I said, coach, looking at the score I can understand his frustration, I am just giving his a little rope. That coach went off complaining that regardless of the score, I should have "T'ed him up. I walked away.

That's all that happened. I am disappointed that my evaluator took the coaches word for what happened. He got upset with me when I tried to explain what had happened.

There's not much I can do, I have refused to work any more games for these coaches either home or away.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
. He didn't seem to believe me.

That's all that happened. I am disappointed that my evaluator took the coaches word for what happened. He got upset with me when I tried to explain what had happened.

There's not much I can do, I have refused to work any more games for these coaches either home or away.

Thoughts?
I don't know if the evaluator is assignor/group leader or what not but he can basically bite me if he's gonna listen to a coach about this nonsense, and then get squirrley when I give my version. It almost sounds a little Junior High School recess incident. He said, he said, no I didn't.

Then if I'm feeling particulary pissy I might venture over to these two titans of the coaching industry and give them a blast of my thought process also.

I know , I know not the most professional thing but I'm at the over it part of the season so I'm having evil thoughts about junior high basketball coaches.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I had an evaluation yesterday. My 1st this year. I knew it was coming. I was ready.

I did 3 games. Boys 6th, 7th and 8th grade. The evaluation was during the 8th grade game.

My partner and I were on top of our game. I feel we both did an excellent job. Evaluator did too. He had only 2 pointers, one for each of us.

Here's the problem. He comes to me and said " What's this I hear about you telling a coach that you don't call fouls or walking when the game is out of hand ( one team winning by 20 or more )" I said, I never said any such thing. He says, I just sat over there and had a coach AND his assistant say that you told them that tonight. I said, I never said any such thing. He didn't seem to believe me. I explained what had happened -

Here's the reality. In the 8th grade game, which the assistant was the head coach, the visitor was complaining to me after the 1st quarter. He was whining about calls, his team was down 16 - 4. I listened and as I walked away, the other coach ( the assistant that lied ) said, man if I talked to you like that you'd "T" me up. I said, coach, looking at the score I can understand his frustration, I am just giving his a little rope. That coach went off complaining that regardless of the score, I should have "T'ed him up. I walked away.

Thoughts?
I would highly consider refusing to work any more games for these coaches, home or away. Of course, I wouldn't tell anyone why. I'd keep that to myself.

Truth is truth. It's sad that people live their lives like this.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

It's surprising that the evaluator would take seriously what the coaches said. My perspective is that if he saw an official doing a good job out there that he would believe the performance was the truth. Rhetoric usually matches reality in these situations.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I listened and as I walked away, the other coach ( the assistant that lied ) said, man if I talked to you like that you'd "T" me up. I said, coach, looking at the score I can understand his frustration, I am just giving his a little rope. That coach went off complaining that regardless of the score, I should have "T'ed him up. I walked away.
Thoughts?
"Coach, that's my business, not yours."

Don't talk with a coach about the other one. Better, don't talk with coaches.

Ciao
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Thoughts?

TOO MUCH CONVERSATION...why did you feel the need respond to an assistant's comment? He made a comment, it did not need an answer. The more you talk the easier it is for someone to misquote or misconstrue what you say.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:46am
In Memoriam

Listen to News and Italy....and STFU.

They can't quote silence.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

I was working a BV game last night. Visiting team was 10-2 coming in -- this was non-conference -- and the home team was 12-1. Home team is a bigger school, playing in a bigger school conference and plays up in its nonconference games (except for last night).

The visiting team got smoked from the opening tip to the final horn. About midway through the first quarter, the visiting bench, unaccustomed to this, started chipping on every call against them. I noticed it was the assistants doing 95% of the talking, so I went over in that direction and told the head coach to control his assistants -- I'm happy to talk to them, but I'm not going to have assistants yelling from the bench. He tried to "yeah, but" me and I stopped him and told him that this was how it was going to be.

I will handle polite questions from assistants doing their jobs (whose ball is it, where's the inbounds spot, etc.) but I will not take crap or defend a call to them. I'll talk to the head guy all night long if I have to, but not the assistants.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I think you learned a lot from this evaluation. One is how to take critism. You know what happened. You now know how to handle it better in the future. That's what an evaluation does.

I think you need to reconsider not working for these "coaches". They need good officials. And from your post I think you do a good job.

If you want to "stick it" to someone, I might consider not working for the evaluator. He's the one with the proble.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The reality is, you said too much. Another good rule of thumb is any comment about the game ("it's only a game") or the score ("looking at the score") is lighting a fuse. We're hired to work hard and (coaches think) work the same regardless of the score.

"Don't worry about the other coach" and walk away. If he persists, treat that separately (shut him down, whack him, whatever).
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
TOO MUCH CONVERSATION...why did you feel the need respond to an assistant's comment? He made a comment, it did not need an answer. The more you talk the easier it is for someone to misquote or misconstrue what you say.
He was the head coach on 6th grade level, assistant on 7th grade level. That was the 6th grade game that he spoke.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
He was the head coach on 6th grade level, assistant on 7th grade level. That was the 6th grade game that he spoke.
Maybe, but I agree it's a comment that is best ignored (most times).
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I'd ignore him or just tell him that I don't need his help with the other coach and let that be the end of it.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Usually where a evaluator is concerned if you have to use more that about 10 words in your explanation then you have done something wrong. Also, the evaluator was probably trying to get the point across that you were involved in too much conversation and wasn't really concerned with your reasoning. Your response to the evaluator should have been "My fault, I spent too much time talking to the coaches" (11 words).

Quote:
You said assistant in the OP, but that's not important. It was still a comment from a coach. Either ignore it, say "that's enough", or 'T' him, whichever is warranted at the point in the game. But the response you gave only provided the coach with ammo. He wasn't asking you a question so he didn't need to give an explanation.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 10:59am.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is what you said.
Quote:
I said, coach, looking at the score I can understand his frustration, I am just giving his a little rope.
This is what the coach heard.

Quote:
you don't call fouls or walking when the game is out of hand ( one team winning by 20 or more )"