The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Tossing fan question........

After warning(s) ,fan behind team A's bench is to be tossed. You summon game management and alert them. Fan refuses to leave. Adamantly. How to proceed from here........and if it has happened to anyone out there, share the details. Thanks.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I would get both coaches together and inform them the game will not proceed until the unruly fan is gone. In our area, it is required that an officer be present at every high school game. This makes solving this problem fairly simple.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have only been involved in it once when a partner wanted a spectator removed. He tried game management and the fan did not want to leave. The game administrator was not very forceful and was trying to "strike a deal" with the official (by the way, this was a visiting fan). My partner finally went to the visiting coach and told him he would assess a technical foul against the visitors for the behavior of the fan unless he left. The visiting coach took care of it. I would think this would normally work since the coach is not going to want to give up points because of his fans. At least it worked in this case. I would also say that the way my partner handled it made it work. He never confronted the fan or the coach and never raised his voice or got angry. His manner was all business, firm but not out of control. I also think that was a huge reason for the outcome.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 12:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Tossing fans? Is that a sport?
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Easy answer to that: either fan goes or you go, let them decide, cheers- Nick
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If you know who that fan is supporting, this is easy. Tell him that if he doesn't leave immediately, that team will forfeit and you will tell everyone that they lost the game because of him. That usually works.

If he still refuses to leave, just shoot the b******.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Here's how you conduct the conversation:
===================
(If Game Admin isn't around)
You: (to table) Get the game administrator here immediately
(to both coaches): We are going to remove a fan

(When GA shows up)
I need you to remove (describe fan) immediately from the premises. The game will not begin again until he/she is removed from the building. If you need Police assistance, I encourage you to seek it.
===================

There are no deals, no pleas, etc. Do not, under any circumstances, start the game again until the fan is gone. Tell the police officer when he gets there that you are the one in charge and the fan must be removed. If they won't leave, and no one is willing to do anything about it, tell the home coach they will forfeit the game. If they keep refusing, forfeit the game(s) and leave. PERIOD. Don't get bullied or pressured into playing before or continuing the game.

In Texas, it is criminal trespass if you are told to leave and you do not leave. You can be arrested for it (crime in the presence of an officer).
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

If they won't leave, and no one is willing to do anything about it, tell the home coach they will forfeit the game. If they keep refusing, forfeit the game(s) and leave.
That part I don't agree with.

Don't forfeit the game. Suspend the game. Write it up that way on the score sheet, showing time remaining, circumstances, etc. Write a full report to your assignor when you get home. Let the league/state decide later whether to forfeit the game or re-play it.