The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   violation- tossing the ball aganist the defender (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50970-violation-tossing-ball-aganist-defender.html)

mutantducky Thu Jan 15, 2009 02:51am

violation- tossing the ball aganist the defender

kind of a cheap play- anything illegal about it. Player dribbles, goes for a shot either in air or on the ground and seeing it will get blocked tosses the ball against the defender and then gets the ball again after it hits.

Or offensive player while holding the ball, puts the ball out in front and makes contact so the defender hand or body touches the ball. But it is clearly not enough to knock it loose and the player drops the ball then begins a new dribble. Violation? Double dribble or traveling?

Nevadaref Thu Jan 15, 2009 02:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 568799)
kind of a cheap play- anything illegal about it. Player dribbles, goes for a shot either in air or on the ground and seeing it will get blocked tosses the ball against the defender and then gets the ball again after it hits.

Or offensive player while holding the ball, puts the ball out in front and makes contact so the defender hand or body touches the ball. But it is clearly not enough to knock it loose and the player drops the ball then begins a new dribble. Violation? Double dribble or traveling?

A. Legal play. That is a pass which has contacted another player.

B. Illegal. Since the touching by the opponent doesn't dislodge the ball from the player's grasp. The drop constitutes the start of a second dribble.

mutantducky Thu Jan 15, 2009 02:57am

in A. So even if there is no other offensive player nearby once the player hits the ball off the defender and goes to get the ball it is ok?

guess I can't call intentional grounding. :rolleyes:

mbyron Thu Jan 15, 2009 07:26am

And: the floor can't cause a fumble. :rolleyes:

bob jenkins Thu Jan 15, 2009 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 568801)
in A. So even if there is no other offensive player nearby once the player hits the ball off the defender and goes to get the ball it is ok?

Of course. This is no different than the relatvely common practice of a player being trapped near a boundary line and throwing the ball off the defensive player to cause it to go out of bounds.

Raymond Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 568801)

guess I can't call intentional grounding. :rolleyes:

Correct, this is not football. The proximity of a receiver has no bearing.

BillyMac Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 568800)
A. Legal play. That is a pass which has contacted another player.

No problem with this answer because you called it a pass. Let's change it up a little. The player loses the ball, i.e. interrupted dribble, that contacts, but is not controlled by, a teammate, and "rebounds" back to the original player. Can he start another dribble?

shishstripes Sat Jan 17, 2009 03:18pm

9-5 A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
Art 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

BillyMac Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:43pm

Almost Only Counts In Horseshoes And Hand Grenades ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 569671)
9-5 A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended unless it is after he/she has lost control because of: Art 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

Nice try. Almost got it. But let's say the interrupted dribble is caused, not by a fumble, but by the dribbler accidentally dribbling off his foot. The ball then hits a teammate, who doesn't gain control of the ball, in fact, the ball hits the teammate in the back of his leg, and then the ball rebounds back to the dribbler, who catches it with both hands. Can he start a new dribble?

mutantducky Sun Jan 18, 2009 01:55am

I say yes once he caught it with both hands because before that the first dribble did not end.

meant to say no here, REALLY. Confusing wording but I meant that the dribble ended once he picked it up with both hands.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 18, 2009 02:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 569729)
Nice try. Almost got it. But let's say the interrupted dribble is caused, not by a fumble, but by the dribbler accidentally dribbling off his foot. The ball then hits a teammate, who doesn't gain control of the ball, in fact, the ball hits the teammate in the back of his leg, and then the ball rebounds back to the dribbler, who catches it with both hands. Can he start a new dribble?

Billy,
That would be an illegal dribble violation.

9-5 is very specific.

A. If the loss of control is due to a try for goal, then NO ONE has to touch it before that player may regain control and dribble again.

B. If the loss of control is due to a pass or fumble, then the original player may regain control and dribble again after ANY OTHER PLAYER touches or was touched by the ball.

C. If the loss of control is during a dribble, and thus becomes an interrupted dribble, then before that player may regain control and dribble again the ball must be touched by an OPPONENT.

As you may recall, the NFHS updated and changed this rule just last season to reflect the longstanding manner in which it was being called.

*Please note that the original player may always go recover a fumble or interrupted dribble without violating (a pass is different), but may not be allowed to dribble again.

shishstripes Sun Jan 18, 2009 04:08am

Very nice explanation Nevada.

BillyMac Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:29am

"Good Night, Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are!" (Jimmy Durante) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 569761)
That would be an illegal dribble violation. If the loss of control is during a dribble, and thus becomes an interrupted dribble, then before that player may regain control and dribble again the ball must be touched by an.

Thanks. That's what I figured, but I needed some logical reasoning and citations to seal the deal in my mind. I doubt that I would be able to register this in my mind, and call the illegal dribble in a fast paced game, but at least I'll get this right if it shows up on a refresher exam.