The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle from the stands

Don’t have my rule or case book here at work so I am looking for something to support how the below situation should be administered that occurred in a game last night( boys varsity).

Team A is up by 1 and in control of the ball, with less than 10 seconds remaining in the game. A whistle sounds from the stands with 2.1 seconds left on the clock. Clock stops and Team A player with the ball stops playing. Player from Team B takes the ball from him and dribbles length of the court and lays the ball in. Clock is still stopped with 2.1 seconds.

Officials conference and then decide to allow the basket to count and award the ball to Team A on the endline for a throw in after the made basket. I did not speak to the officials so I don't know the thought process for arriving at the ruling.

Is there a rule interpretation or case book ruling to administer this?
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:36pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLundagard View Post
Not sure, but common sense should prevail here. Do you know if all the other players stopped too?
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sounds like one of the rare 2-3 situations to me.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure regarding the other players other than the dribbler.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:39pm
This IS My Social Life

Foreign Whistle

I can't find anything in the books, but is not the only means whereby the clock is to be stopped is an official's signal (whistle and/or upraised arm)?
Unfortunate as it was that a whistle sounds from the stands, play must proceed unless halted by the official.
I await others' responses.

By the way, loved you in that movie, Jerry. Though I thought you deserved the woodchipper yourself.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Clock is still stopped with 2.1 seconds.

Officials conference and then decide to allow the basket to count and award the ball to Team A on the endline for a throw in after the made basket. I did not speak to the officials so I don't know the thought process for arriving at the ruling.
Question - How much time did they take off the clock?

This is a situation where I would have to say stop it! and give the ball back to A.
because the players and clock stopped due to a whistle Especially if I heard too.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Don’t have my rule or case book here at work so I am looking for something to support how the below situation should be administered that occurred in a game last night( boys varsity).

Team A is up by 1 and in control of the ball, with less than 10 seconds remaining in the game. A whistle sounds from the stands with 2.1 seconds left on the clock. Clock stops and Team A player with the ball stops playing. Player from Team B takes the ball from him and dribbles length of the court and lays the ball in. Clock is still stopped with 2.1 seconds.

2-3 for sure.

Options:
  1. Dribbling the length of the court and shooting is > 2.1s. No basket, game over.
  2. No basket. A throw-in at POI of fake whistle.
  3. Count basket. A throw-in at POI of fake whistle.
  4. Count basket. A throw-in at endline. Be prepared to T up the Team A coach.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

This very situation, except for the end-of-game aspect, was all over the news a week or so ago. Can't remember if it was college or NBA, but there was a whistle from the stands, everyone stopped playing except one guy, guy with ball passed down court to that one player for an easy layup. Refs counted the basket, but also sent some sort of security or game management into the stands to quell any further such activity.

In the sitch I saw, everyone stopped playing and the refs were even all looking at each other to see who stopped the play. Clock stopped, everyone stopped, except one guy realized it was bogus and yelled at his teammate who was holding the ball, ran downcourt, received the pass and layed it in.

In hs ball, if I heard the whistle, all or most players stopped, I'd stop the game immediately, with a whistle of my own, and not give a chance for that lay in to get put up. Give the ball back to whoever had it when the whistle went.

And get game management involved bigtime.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 05:53pm
In Time Out

it happened in the jazz-warriors game a while back, i posted it along with the video of Williams getting fouled and then shooting the and 1 even though he wasn't the one who shot the basket. In that case I thought the refs should have stopped play because there was an obvious stoppage of play by the players on the court. They didn't and the jazz went down the length of the court and scored.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'm using common sense here and awarding the ball to A at POI. No basket.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

If I hear a whistle from the stands and more than 2 players stop playing, I'm going to kill it, try to get game management on the whistler, and resume from POI.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I believe that I am going to stop play using rule 5.8.2.d Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official stops play "For any other situations or any emergency." I believe that I would resume play at the POI with a throw-in at the nearest spot to Team A with 2.1 seconds on the clock AFTER one spectator is removed.

In the event that the officials do not stop play (which, I believe they certainly could have and should have using 5.8.2.d), there should have been some level of clock awareness by the officials. When the ball was stolen, the new trail should have begun a count (perhaps even noticing the clock). With definitive knowledge, they could have sounded their own whistle indicating that the clock should have expired.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 11:52pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
This very situation, except for the end-of-game aspect, was all over the news a week or so ago. Can't remember if it was college or NBA, but there was a whistle from the stands, everyone stopped playing except one guy, guy with ball passed down court to that one player for an easy layup. Refs counted the basket, but also sent some sort of security or game management into the stands to quell any further such activity.

In the sitch I saw, everyone stopped playing and the refs were even all looking at each other to see who stopped the play. Clock stopped, everyone stopped, except one guy realized it was bogus and yelled at his teammate who was holding the ball, ran downcourt, received the pass and layed it in.

In hs ball, if I heard the whistle, all or most players stopped, I'd stop the game immediately, with a whistle of my own, and not give a chance for that lay in to get put up. Give the ball back to whoever had it when the whistle went.

And get game management involved bigtime.
Juulie....it was NBE game, can't recall teams. Saw replay and sure looke odd.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Engine1411 Send a message via Yahoo to Engine1411
1st of all Why wasn't Team B trying to foul? I would expect being down in the 4th qtr with only 10 sec left that they would be trying to foul. Now to answer your question, I would blow play dead at the point when I heard the whistle (and reset the clock to the time that I heard the whistle). You would then give Team A the ball for a throw in at the POI, and resume play, expecting Team B to foul. Common Sense shold be used here!

"The reason a dog has soo many friends is that he wags his tail not his tounge!"
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Had this happen in a state championship soccer game I played in in HS. Whistle sounded. Everyone stopped. Some kid on the other team went to the ball & kicked it from our goalie's hands and went in and scored. Our protests to the officials were to no avail.

I hope this creep in the stands received at least a season's banishment from attendance at ANY HS sporting events at ANY venue.