The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

shooting foul question

if a player is driving to the basket, and is fouled, and then travels on the continuation and it goes in, does the basket count? what if the foul caused him to travel? i'm sure this is the same in all levels, but i'm talking about in the nba.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 06:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW View Post
if a player is driving to the basket, and is fouled, and then travels on the continuation and it goes in, does the basket count? what if the foul caused him to travel? i'm sure this is the same in all levels, but i'm talking about in the nba.
A player must always release the ball legally on a try for basket. As for what the NBE does, I know they different with their travelling and continuation rules.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 09:21am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
A player must always release the ball legally on a try for basket. As for what the NBE does, I know they different with their travelling and continuation rules.

NBE: National Basketball Entertaniment??

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 09:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NBE: National Basketball Entertainment??

MTD, Sr.
Now that the NFL is near complete, I will be watching some NBE, especially if there are games as fun as last night's TOR @ BOS game. Of course, only if there are not any good NHL games on.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
NBA= No Basketball Ability
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Could you provide a ruled citation for this? Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
Could you provide a ruled citation for this? Thanks.
I don't have my rule book with me, however, I know that somewhere in rule 6 explains when the ball becomes dead. Violation by an offensive player makes the ball dead immediately.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 01:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I don't have my rule book with me, however, I know that somewhere in rule 6 explains when the ball becomes dead. Violation by an offensive player makes the ball dead immediately.
Exactly.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

ya, that's what i thought, i can agree with all this, except for you guys making fun of the nba. the nba is the ****. college sports are too confusing, there are way too many teams, conferences, divisions, etc. certain teams are guaranteed to never get national attention, and some are guaranteed to get the spotlight. the point is college isn't equal. different teams have completely different schedules, making their record completely relative to their schedule, etc. anyways thanks for the help.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

The NBA is ****

Well, Packers, we can certainly agree to disagree on that. And I, for my part, will respect your opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Yes. Where have you been? We've been using that for a long time. In fact, the NBE finals this year are going to be called "Basketballmania" and before each game starts, Dick Bavetta will be at center court with a microphone yelling "LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!"
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
blah, blah, blah, non-rules related rambling...
Why did I know this would happen as the NFL season wound down? BTW, are the announcers on TNT and ESPN allowed to say NBA?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know if you are talking about "Continuous Motion" or not....

but, if I see a player picking up the ball to start a try (or shot)...and this is going to be a continuous motion move in my judgement...then if this player gets fouled...he gets to shoot FT's.

If the player travels...it does not matter...he was fouled before the travel...thus, FT's because of the continuous motion rule.

Didnt' we just have a thread on something like this?
Richland, WA
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
NBA= No Basketball Ability
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Yes. Where have you been? We've been using that for a long time. In fact, the NBE finals this year are going to be called "Basketballmania" and before each game starts, Dick Bavetta will be at center court with a microphone yelling "LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!"
how can you guys say this? do you also feel the same way about college football vs the nfl? why not? should be the same argument.

edit: wait a minute, you're not referring to the ref scandal thing are you? that would be embarrassing on your part if you think the nba fixes games, just because a single ref did some ****. notice how nobody said anything until the ref **** happened? exactly. so if it was fixed, i think you would know without a scandal. surely though, you must be referring to some other aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why did I know this would happen as the NFL season wound down? BTW, are the announcers on TNT and ESPN allowed to say NBA?
wow, you're so clever and mature.

yes, actually, they always say nba, it's the complete opposite of the nfl, oops, i mean national football league, please don't reprimand me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I don't know if you are talking about "Continuous Motion" or not....

but, if I see a player picking up the ball to start a try (or shot)...and this is going to be a continuous motion move in my judgement...then if this player gets fouled...he gets to shoot FT's.

If the player travels...it does not matter...he was fouled before the travel...thus, FT's because of the continuous motion rule.

Didnt' we just have a thread on something like this?
i'm talking about when you legally drive to the hoop, then you get fouled, and after the foul, during the continuation, you travel. basically what i'm asking is, can a foul cause you to travel, thus they don't look at it as a travel? the guys above say it's a travel, even if the foul caused it, so is that how it is in the nba?

Last edited by PackersFTW; Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 10:27am.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i'm talking about when you legally drive to the hoop, then you get fouled, and after the foul, during the continuation, you travel. basically what i'm asking is, can a foul cause you to travel, thus they don't look at it as a travel? the guys above say it's a travel, even if the foul caused it, so is that how it is in the nba?
If the foul causes the "travel" then the violation is ignored. I'd also say that the "travel" ends the try, and award two (or three -- but I'm not sure how likely that is) FTs.

What they would do in the NBA, I don't know.