The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   shooting foul question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50909-shooting-foul-question.html)

PackersFTW Tue Jan 13, 2009 04:42am

shooting foul question

if a player is driving to the basket, and is fouled, and then travels on the continuation and it goes in, does the basket count? what if the foul caused him to travel? i'm sure this is the same in all levels, but i'm talking about in the nba.

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 13, 2009 06:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackersFTW (Post 567896)
if a player is driving to the basket, and is fouled, and then travels on the continuation and it goes in, does the basket count? what if the foul caused him to travel? i'm sure this is the same in all levels, but i'm talking about in the nba.

A player must always release the ball legally on a try for basket. As for what the NBE does, I know they different with their travelling and continuation rules.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 13, 2009 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 567900)
A player must always release the ball legally on a try for basket. As for what the NBE does, I know they different with their travelling and continuation rules.

NBE: National Basketball Entertaniment?? :D

MTD, Sr.

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 13, 2009 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 567934)
NBE: National Basketball Entertainment?? :D

MTD, Sr.

Now that the NFL is near complete, I will be watching some NBE, especially if there are games as fun as last night's TOR @ BOS game. Of course, only if there are not any good NHL games on. :)

chartrusepengui Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:36am

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

NBA= No Basketball Ability:D

bigdogrunnin Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 567900)

Could you provide a ruled citation for this? Thanks.

Indianaref Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin (Post 567962)
Could you provide a ruled citation for this? Thanks.

I don't have my rule book with me, however, I know that somewhere in rule 6 explains when the ball becomes dead. Violation by an offensive player makes the ball dead immediately.

Adam Tue Jan 13, 2009 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 567972)
I don't have my rule book with me, however, I know that somewhere in rule 6 explains when the ball becomes dead. Violation by an offensive player makes the ball dead immediately.

Exactly.

PackersFTW Sun Jan 18, 2009 08:32am

ya, that's what i thought, i can agree with all this, except for you guys making fun of the nba. the nba is the ****. college sports are too confusing, there are way too many teams, conferences, divisions, etc. certain teams are guaranteed to never get national attention, and some are guaranteed to get the spotlight. the point is college isn't equal. different teams have completely different schedules, making their record completely relative to their schedule, etc. anyways thanks for the help.

mplagrow Sun Jan 18, 2009 09:46am

The NBA is ****

Well, Packers, we can certainly agree to disagree on that. And I, for my part, will respect your opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.

Mark Padgett Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:35pm

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

Yes. Where have you been? We've been using that for a long time. In fact, the NBE finals this year are going to be called "Basketballmania" and before each game starts, Dick Bavetta will be at center court with a microphone yelling "LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!" ;)

Raymond Sun Jan 18, 2009 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackersFTW (Post 569776)
blah, blah, blah, non-rules related rambling...

Why did I know this would happen as the NFL season wound down? BTW, are the announcers on TNT and ESPN allowed to say NBA?

RookieDude Sun Jan 18, 2009 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackersFTW (Post 567896)

I don't know if you are talking about "Continuous Motion" or not....

but, if I see a player picking up the ball to start a try (or shot)...and this is going to be a continuous motion move in my judgement...then if this player gets fouled...he gets to shoot FT's.

If the player travels...it does not matter...he was fouled before the travel...thus, FT's because of the continuous motion rule.

Didnt' we just have a thread on something like this?

PackersFTW Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 567953)
NBA= No Basketball Ability:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 569812)
Yes. Where have you been? We've been using that for a long time. In fact, the NBE finals this year are going to be called "Basketballmania" and before each game starts, Dick Bavetta will be at center court with a microphone yelling "LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!" ;)

how can you guys say this? do you also feel the same way about college football vs the nfl? why not? should be the same argument.

edit: wait a minute, you're not referring to the ref scandal thing are you? that would be embarrassing on your part if you think the nba fixes games, just because a single ref did some ****. notice how nobody said anything until the ref **** happened? exactly. so if it was fixed, i think you would know without a scandal. surely though, you must be referring to some other aspect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 569826)
Why did I know this would happen as the NFL season wound down? BTW, are the announcers on TNT and ESPN allowed to say NBA?

wow, you're so clever and mature.

yes, actually, they always say nba, it's the complete opposite of the nfl, oops, i mean national football league, please don't reprimand me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 569833)
I don't know if you are talking about "Continuous Motion" or not....

but, if I see a player picking up the ball to start a try (or shot)...and this is going to be a continuous motion move in my judgement...then if this player gets fouled...he gets to shoot FT's.

If the player travels...it does not matter...he was fouled before the travel...thus, FT's because of the continuous motion rule.

Didnt' we just have a thread on something like this?

i'm talking about when you legally drive to the hoop, then you get fouled, and after the foul, during the continuation, you travel. basically what i'm asking is, can a foul cause you to travel, thus they don't look at it as a travel? the guys above say it's a travel, even if the foul caused it, so is that how it is in the nba?

bob jenkins Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackersFTW (Post 574799)
i'm talking about when you legally drive to the hoop, then you get fouled, and after the foul, during the continuation, you travel. basically what i'm asking is, can a foul cause you to travel, thus they don't look at it as a travel? the guys above say it's a travel, even if the foul caused it, so is that how it is in the nba?

If the foul causes the "travel" then the violation is ignored. I'd also say that the "travel" ends the try, and award two (or three -- but I'm not sure how likely that is) FTs.

What they would do in the NBA, I don't know.