The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Should I Switch?

I was looking at my schedule for this week and not sure how I missed this and not sure that it matters but tonight I have a girls varsity game. Tommorrow a boys varsity game with the same 2 teams playing in both games. Should I have asked for a switch off of one of the games. We only have on varsity assignor who assigns both girls and boys and usually he doesn't do this but sometimes it does happen. He doesn't care. I just don't like having both the girls and boys on back to back nights. What do you all think.
Thanks for you input.

PS.
Tommorrow's Boys game will be a great game!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
I was looking at my schedule for this week and not sure how I missed this and not sure that it matters but tonight I have a girls varsity game. Tommorrow a boys varsity game with the same 2 teams playing in both games. Should I have asked for a switch off of one of the games. We only have on varsity assignor who assigns both girls and boys and usually he doesn't do this but sometimes it does happen. He doesn't care. I just don't like having both the girls and boys on back to back nights. What do you all think.
Thanks for you input.

PS.
Have two great games!!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Do 'em both!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure how it'd impact my decision, but are the 2 games at the same school? Or is it 1 game at School A and the other at School B?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Thanks for you input.

PS.
Boys one night, girls the next -- will anyone even notice? I wouldn't even blink at doing this.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:40pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Boys one night, girls the next -- will anyone even notice? I wouldn't even blink at doing this.
The way I read your statement, Rich, is that you would not do these assignments - but just one?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe slightly off topic, but anybody ever run into the situation where you show up early for the varsity game, only to find that there is one official about to start the soph game? Do you jump in or no? The only reason I ask is that I have done this on two occassions and on both occassions I am positive that I got more grief from the varsity coaches during their games b/c they assumed I was a "Soph" official filling in for one of the varsity officials who did not show - which incidentally has also happened where we picked up a soph official to do the varsity game and it has been a good experience -the fact that someone is working a soph game does not on it's own make them a lesser official for a variety of reasons...but I digress...so do you make it a point to tell the coaches that you are filling in and that you are really there for the varsity game?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
The way I read your statement, Rich, is that you would not do these assignments - but just one?
I wouldn't blink at working both -- I'd work both.

Me fail English? That's unpossible!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Not only should you work both games, you should be the R both games !!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:51pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
anybody ever run into the situation where you show up early for the varsity game, only to find that there is one official about to start the soph game? Do you jump in or no??
Yes & around here YES!

Quote:
I am positive that I got more grief from the varsity coaches during their games b/c they assumed I was a "Soph" official
Who cares?? Let your game management & presense on the court speak for itself...

Quote:
so do you make it a point to tell the coaches that you are filling in and that you are really there for the varsity game?
No. As mentioned above, let your game speak for itself.

I've meet quite a few officials that were discovered & unltimately hired into NJCAA conferences by working girls Saturday morning freshman games.

One never knows who is watching!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
so do you make it a point to tell the coaches that you are filling in and that you are really there for the varsity game?
Just to add to what Ch1town said, I would never do this because it would feel like I was big-timing the teams. It would be almost like I said, "Coach, knock it off, I was slumming earlier."
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
anybody ever run into the situation where you show up early for the varsity game, only to find that there is one official about to start the soph game? Do you jump in or no?
Always jump in. No question.

I had the exact situation come up that you described. I got to my V game early. JV had 1 official. I ran into the locker room, got changed, and jumped onto the court with about 8 or 9 minutes left in the first half. Visiting coach was riding me most of the game, thinking I was the other JV official and simply showed up late. Then, the head coach during the V game (same school), gave me grief, thinking 1 of the V guys didn't show, so they stuck me (a "JV" official) in. However, I took a little pleasure in knowing that my assignor had given the coaches an earful a few days later when he found out how I was treated, and explained that I was actually doing them a favor by filling in...
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Work the games. Earlier this season I worked a BV at one site (School A vs. School B). Got in my truck after the game, drove 30 minutes down the road and worked a GV game with School B having just finished their BV game. The BV team beat me there and were laughing when I walked in. IMO there is no conflict. Go in, do your best, and go home.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

what's the difference if you do this or you do a boys/girls varsity game back to back the same evening the way some places do.

Forget everything else and just do both games well.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Just to add to what Ch1town said, I would never do this because it would feel like I was big-timing the teams. It would be almost like I said, "Coach, knock it off, I was slumming earlier."
Exactly my point, it is very hard to pull this off without looking like a complete D-B....so I have never said anything and just born the brunt...my partners usually like it b/c they get left alone as I have gotten hammered!