The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
I am in lead. Ball goes OOB above free throw line extended on my side. Do I go to trail and administer the throw in and the trail go to lead or do the lead and trail just exchange sides and the trail take the spot throw in??

Thanks in advance
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by OldCoachNewRef
I am in lead. Ball goes OOB above free throw line extended on my side. Do I go to trail and administer the throw in and the trail go to lead or do the lead and trail just exchange sides and the trail take the spot throw in??

Thanks in advance
I would go to trail and let partner take Lead.

It's on your sideline, you should administer the throw in. (as long as it is resonable to do so)
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance
No switch here. You now become new T and administer throw in.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

switch?

Thump, you said no switch but yet I go to Trail from Lead. Sounds like a switch to me. I know there is no switch below the free throw line extended, lead administers, but at what spot above the line is there NO switch? Division line?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:01pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

Thanks in advance
OldCoachNewRef,
It is the book suggestion that you administer the throw-in.

However, if T is already closer to the spot, you may just remain at Lead. ...And if there are a lot of players on the throw-in side, you may just want to work a little strong-side until the play develops.
mick
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

This is a topic that comes up pretty reguarly in pre-game. In your example, I believe the officials mannual would have the lead move up and assume the new trail position as it is too far up the line for the lead to administer the bounce pass from the end line. Then the trail drops down and becomes lead.

Now, in pre-game, this may be discussed. I often bring this up. What we typically settle on is eye contact with my partner and, depending on what seems to be the most fluid and fastest way to get the ball back into play is what we opt to do. Similar to an out of bounds call in front of the table that is going the opposite way. Sometimes the trail official is right on top of the play and is surronded by players. In this case, I often as lead, swing out and sprint down to force a switch (instead of a bump) and let the trail stay as trail and inbound the ball. Just works smoother most of the time.

[Edited by ChiliBob on Jan 20th, 2005 at 03:15 PM]
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiliBob
Sometimes the trail official is right on top of the play and is surronded by players. In this case, I often as lead, swing out and sprint down to force a switch (instead of a bump) and let the trail stay as trail and inbound the ball. Just works smoother most of the time.
ChiliBob,
If I'm your Trail, I'm giving you a whistle and spot and a direction.
I don't care where the ball went, or who has it.
I'm outa there and headed to the other end.
You handle it, Partner.
mick
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: switch?

Quote:
Thump, you said no switch but yet I go to Trail from Lead. Sounds like a switch to me. I know there is no switch below the free throw line extended, lead administers, but at what spot above the line is there NO switch? Division line?
Sorry OCNR, I need to read the thread more carefully. You said 2 man mechanics. I am not use to 2 man, yes I am spoiled!

IMO on the situation you described, you would then become T and your P become L.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I guess there is confusion because I neglected to say which team deflected the ball. Ball is staying on same side (deflected by the defense). If oob on offense, no switch, lead becomes new trail. But at what spot (if oob on d) do you not switch past the free throw line extended? The division line?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess there is confusion because I neglected to say which team deflected the ball. Ball is staying on same side (deflected by the defense). If oob on offense, no switch, lead becomes new trail. But at what spot (if oob on d) do you not switch past the free throw line extended? The division line?
I have not really done 2 man for 2 years, but the less moving the better IMO. In your situation the L had that sideline, L should move to T and administer throw in, T should move to new L.

The ball should be put in play at spot where it went OOB.
If ball went OOB on endline, from free throw line to corner, you stay L and administer throw in as L. If ball went OOB on sideline, switch. L goes to T, T goes to L.

Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:48pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Per book
Below the FT line, L bounces to thrower.
Above the FT line, New T bounces to thrower.

mick
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Per book
Below the FT line, L bounces to thrower.
Above the FT line, New T bounces to thrower.

mick
I was correct within six feet mick, gimme a break, lol

3 man use to confuse da hell outa me, now 2 man does.

When are 4 man mechanics gonna happen? We each get a QTR of the court, shouldn't miss anything or get confused then.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm glad someone else brought this up. I've done quite a few more Varsity games this year, and been working with a better group of partners. Several times, I've been reminded of this mechanic, which I wasn't used to at the lower levels. Now that I'm used to it, it's a relief to know that it's correct!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 07:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm glad someone else brought this up. I've done quite a few more Varsity games this year, and been working with a better group of partners. Several times, I've been reminded of this mechanic, which I wasn't used to at the lower levels. Now that I'm used to it, it's a relief to know that it's correct!
Depends where you are. Usually, my partner and I have trail stay trail and lead stay lead unless it goes the other way (bump and run). If it goes out on the other side of the court above the FT line, it's in my primary and I'm usually working far out onto the court, anyway.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I'm outa there and headed to the other end.
You handle it, Partner.

Mick, if that works best in the situation I would have your back, follow your lead on that and only you and I would know one way or another - play on!