The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule Clarification

Hey guys,
I was just at a D-1 game tonight (UW-Green Bay @ UW-Milwaukee, Horizon League). Late in the game A0 for Milwaukee drove in the lane, made contact with a B defender, scored the basket and was called for a foul. The basket counted, and then B took over possession from the foul. I'm assuming the call would have been a player control foul? I didn't have the best look since it was happening away from me, but A0 probably shot the ball, and made contact with the B defender in the air. Could someone please post the difference between Player Control and a Charge? THANKS
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

In NCAA if the ball is released and then player control contact happens, score bucket and charge a foul. If ball not released first, no score.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:06am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Hey guys,
I was just at a D-1 game tonight (UW-Green Bay @ UW-Milwaukee, Horizon League). Late in the game A0 for Milwaukee drove in the lane, made contact with a B defender, scored the basket and was called for a foul. The basket counted, and then B took over possession from the foul. I'm assuming the call would have been a player control foul? I didn't have the best look since it was happening away from me, but A0 probably shot the ball, and made contact with the B defender in the air. Could someone please post the difference between Player Control and a Charge? THANKS

Player control ends after a player has released the ball for a field goal attempt or a pass in NCAA Men's Rules. If A0, after releasing the ball for a field goal attempt, makes contact with B1 while the ball was live, the official must determine whether the contact is illegal or incidental. If the contact is illegal it is a foul. The foul is a person foul and can either be a common (but not a player control or team control) foul, an intentional foul, or a flagrant foul.

It the play you described it was ruled a common foul and Team B was not in the bonus so it received the ball for a throw-in for A0's foul.

A player control foul is a common foul committed by a player who is control (holding or dribbling) of the ball. See NCAA R4-S29-A2.a.1.

The definition of charging is found in NCAA R4-S10-A1: "Charging is illegal personal contact by pushing or moving into an opponent’s torso."

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

@MTD Sr,
So really it was a charging foul then if the rules state a person control foul can only happen when an A player has control of the ball.

Actually, I should've clarified in the OP, they counted the basket, and then team B went to shoot free throws since they were in the bonus.

PS- there were some bad 'fanboys' in our section...the best one came at toward the end of the game with one yelling, "THATS INTENTIONAL" during an obvious fouling situation to stop the clock.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Player control ends after a player has released the ball for a field goal attempt or a pass in NCAA Men's Rules. If A0, after releasing the ball for a field goal attempt, makes contact with B1 while the ball was live, the official must determine whether the contact is illegal or incidental. If the contact is illegal it is a foul. The foul is a person foul and can either be a common (but not a player control or team control) foul, an intentional foul, or a flagrant foul.

It the play you described it was ruled a common foul and Team B was not in the bonus so it received the ball for a throw-in for A0's foul.

A player control foul is a common foul committed by a player who is control (holding or dribbling) of the ball. See NCAA R4-S29-A2.a.1.

The definition of charging is found in NCAA R4-S10-A1: "Charging is illegal personal contact by pushing or moving into an opponent’s torso."

MTD, Sr.
This is similiar to the NFHS rule correct? Once the airborne shooter has one foot on the ground and commits a charging foul, score the hoop and shoot the bonus at the other end?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
PS- there were some bad 'fanboys' in our section...the best one came at toward the end of the game with one yelling, "THATS INTENTIONAL" during an obvious fouling situation to stop the clock.
Well, was he right?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburt View Post
This is similiar to the NFHS rule correct? Once the airborne shooter has one foot on the ground and commits a charging foul, score the hoop and shoot the bonus at the other end?
In high school, and airborne shooter is considered to have player control until he lands.

In college, player control ends immediately upon the release of the try.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
In NCAA if the ball is released and then player control contact happens, score bucket and charge a foul. If ball not released first, no score.
That's NCAAM only. The NCAAW rule is the same as FED
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Well, was he right?
Yes, but I believe he was yelling that because he wanted an intentional/flagrant foul called, and not just a personal foul.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 10:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes, but I believe he was yelling that because he wanted an intentional/flagrant foul called, and not just a personal foul.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
My point was that just because it's "an obvious fouling situation to stop the clock" does not mean an intentional foul is not the right call. It's not even really relevant to whether or not the foul should be ruled intentional.

So, my question, "Was he right, should it have been intentional?" still stands.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Oh, no. It was just a foul reaching in for the ball. Nothing too physical about it at all.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 10:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Got it. The fan thought it should be an intentional simply because it was "an obvious fouling situation to stop the clock." That makes sense.