The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:58pm
9 times

I have heard conflicting information on the NCAA's interpretation of this rule. Have we gone away from hand on the hip (on a drive toward the basket) is a foul with or without displacement? I have heard (from what I would consider reputable sources) that the NCAA wants handchecks only called with displacement or impeding the dribbler's progress?

Anyone heard anything to help clarify?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
I have heard conflicting information on the NCAA's interpretation of this rule. Have we gone away from hand on the hip (on a drive toward the basket) is a foul with or without displacement? I have heard (from what I would consider reputable sources) that the NCAA wants handchecks only called with displacement or impeding the dribbler's progress?

Anyone heard anything to help clarify?
The women's interp has changed. A brief hand is now not automatically a foul. Continuous hand, continuous fore-arm, a hand with a straight arm, displacement are all fouls.

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:42am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not aware of any change. They basically are saying the same thing, just using different language to clarify. It reads the same way to me. Displacement has always been an issue.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

at the ncaa referee's meeting they really talked about using the Forearm or straight arm to guide the dribbler around...we have to get this because it is a big disadvantage to the offense not being able to go where they want to go.... Big Pt of Emphasis... they showed 15 minutes of tape on what to call and not to call that dealt with hand checking.. two hands is automatic..