The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Thank goodness WI doesn't allow a WIAA game at any level to start with one official. They'd find somebody licensed to work or we wouldn't have a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Really????
I can see this...the schools may insist that their contract requires they pay X-amount of $$$ for each contest and in return they expect a minimun of 2 officials to perform the duties. Also could be liability issues. Only 1 official and a player gets hurt, especially during an altercation, could leave the school vulnerable to a lawsuit.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I can see this...the schools may insist that their contract requires they pay X-amount of $$$ for each contest and in return they expect a minimun of 2 officials to perform the duties. Also could be liability issues. Only 1 official and a player gets hurt, especially during an altercation, could leave the school vulnerable to a lawsuit.
It's not a school thing - it's a state thing. You must have at least 2 officials to start a game, however, if for some reason an official cannot complete their game, the game may be finished with a single official.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
In the 4th quarter (7/8 game) a ball goes OB right by H bench. I call white ball (which was correct) but point the wrong way (still not sure why). H-HC goes off saying it's their ball. I tell him I know it was and that's what I said (still not realizing that I pointed the wrong way). He tells me that I pointed the wrong way. I messed up, am sorry, again say white ball and get ready to put it in play. Then H-HC says "that's not the only time you messed up tonight!"

Tweet! T on HC. So, another first. What a game!

I'm sure it was a HTBT situation, but could you give me feedback about the T if you think it was good or not?

I'm not sure if this was a good night or a bad one due to all the firsts - that's still being sorted out in my head.

Hopefully I won't have another 1-man game in a long time.
Has happened to me more times than I care to admit. Especially when doing two games with identical uniforms.

Good T.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I was at a Freshman HS game last night where the ref did the first 7 min of the game by himself on a LARGE court. While the coaches chirped, I thought he did a pretty good job.
Ranchman - very interesting. Saw the below two mechanics used last night. Thought they looked awkward as I had never used them. But, they are just as you listed.

- Free throws: Administer all attempts from the trail position.....

- Inbounds plays: .....and bounce the ball to the inbounder from that spot, even if you must pass it between players.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
I'm sure it was a HTBT situation, but could you give me feedback about the T if you think it was good or not?
Cdoug, you know the 3 P's of calling a technical foul, right? Personal, prolonged, or profane.

Mick mentioned that the coach's comment was personal. According to you the coach said

Quote:
that's not the only time you messed up tonight!
You have to judge whether that's closer to "that call stinks!" or to "you stink!" Only one of those is a personal comment. The other might sometimes be true, and does not deserve a T (the coach is entitled, up to a point, to voice his opinion of a possibly bad call).

BTW, I agree with Mick that the coach's comment was personal.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Cdoug, you know the 3 P's of calling a technical foul, right? Personal, prolonged, or profane.

Mick mentioned that the coach's comment was personal. According to you the coach said

You have to judge whether that's closer to "that call stinks!" or to "you stink!" Only one of those is a personal comment. The other might sometimes be true, and does not deserve a T (the coach is entitled, up to a point, to voice his opinion of a possibly bad call).

BTW, I agree with Mick that the coach's comment was personal.
He'd been complaining a bunch already, from my read of the OP. Fits with prolonged as well, IMO. My threshold goes down if I'm working by myself.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Thank goodness WI doesn't allow a WIAA game at any level to start with one official. They'd find somebody licensed to work or we wouldn't have a game.
Rich,
Is Wisconsin particularly tough on truant Officials?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My threshold goes down if I'm working by myself.
My threshold stays the same, but I have half the ref's to hear it so I reach it twice as quickly.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Yep - I kinda like it!!
Why??

Parents, players, coaches AND the lone official(does he get paid if game is cancelled) have committed time, effort, and money to have a game that can most certainly be officiated by a competent ref. A varsity game? No, but certainly lower level games.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He'd been complaining a bunch already, from my read of the OP. Fits with prolonged as well, IMO. My threshold goes down if I'm working by myself.
Perhaps, but I never issue a T for "prolonged" until after I've told the coach "that's enough." I did not see that in the OP.

I agree with a shorter leash for solo games.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
It's not a school thing - it's a state thing. You must have at least 2 officials to start a game, however, if for some reason an official cannot complete their game, the game may be finished with a single official.

Very contradictory.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:56am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Good "T". He got personal.
Ditto, cdoug. You handled it correctly.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sometimes the coach could be working his way to an ABS T, but before I can warn him he jumps off the cliff. The OP sounds like this is the case.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:01pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
When I'm alone, coaches get less allowance for questioning calls.

Easy T, good job.
My thoughts exactly. I've only had it happen once and it wasn't for the whole game. Hopefully, it stays at only once.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Rich,
Is Wisconsin particularly tough on truant Officials?
Don't know. Much is kept at the local level. And since I only work the late games (mostly 7:30PM starts), even if something did happen where I was late, there would (in theory) be two licensed guys still there from the JV game.

I know I did a JV/V double last year because the home team had a late turnback and they wouldn't have had a game had I not gone in early to work.