The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 12:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Question

Today being September 11th and all I thought this would be appropriate.

What were the best moments in your officiating that was special after Sept. 11th?

Illinois played Football games that Friday after September 11th. I did a game between Grayslake HS vs. Crystal Lake HS that Friday. The main RB for Grayslake scored 6 Touchdowns and had like 320 yards during the game. I think Grayslake won by 2 Touchdowns in a back and forth battle. Really fun game and a great escape from the tragedy that happen earlier that week.

Please share what you did or what special things might have happen after that fatal day.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

We worked the Friday following 9-11 also. When the national anthem was played and they sang God Bless America, I couldn't hide the tears that welled up in my eyes. It was tough to focus that night, but I'm proud of the guys on my crew. We held it together and called yet another great game.
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

MI also worked on Friday. My crew had a game at a Catholic HS so the teams gathered at mid field and said a prayer. The band played a hastily put together halftime show of God Bless America and other patriotic songs. They didn't get much chance to rehearse and it showed but no one left their seat until they were done and got a stnding O. We also were a man short on our crew as our LJ was in NC on business and his flight got grounded. He didn't call to let us know he wouldn't be there and give us a chance to get a sub..
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I heard a quote by Winston Churchill that sums up my feelings today:

Don't have the exact words but he said something like this: "Let them bring their worst and we will meet them with our best."

Excuse me for being a little sentimental but I also get inspired when I reflect on Abraham Lincoln's remark in a speech about a month before he died where he asks us to "seek the better angels of our nature" or words to that effect.

Since last year I've become more aware that these words also apply to us as officials.

God bless all of you who are bravely helping others to live up to their highest potential in a fair and impartial manner. We certainly have a wonderful calling to help others and help the community.

Malama makahiki! (To care for the game!)
Old Fri Sep 13, 2002, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

September 11 for those of us on Long Island was close to home. Some 30 individuals in my town lost their lives and one of my customers was on American Flight 11.

With the great lost of life and the number of people grieving all sports were cancelled for the entire week from Tuesday the 11th to the following Monday.

Our next football game was on Friday September 21 and was preceded by a 15 minute service to mark the death of one of the NYFD department chiefs whose children attended one of the schools.

Personally, I could not wait until kickoff and as the President said, "Get on with the business of America."
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

We worked at a public school, where during the National Anthem and God Bless America both teams were in same end zone holding hands (Red white red white)There was also a prayer said over the PA system and noe one from ACLU had nerve to complain. It was a moving experience, no doubt.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

In the situation where A is trying to use the clock and preserve a small lead the clock should start on the snap regardless of whether the A player false started deliberately or not. A should not benefit from a foul of any type, intentional or not. Start the clock on the snap.