The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A 1st year 1st (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50753-1st-year-1st.html)

cdoug Wed Jan 07, 2009 07:42am

A 1st year 1st

Had a boys MS games last night - 2 games 5/6 and 7/8 grade combined (my 3rd this year/ever) and had the pleasure of doing it alone since my P didn't show. Ugh! Fortunately I've been reading here for a while and remembered the post(s) about 1-man games. I told the coaches before the game the it looked like I'd probably be the only one and would do the best I could but since I only have one pair of eyes and can't be everywhere I may miss some things.

I did the best I could; both coaches were pretty good for the first half, not complaining any more than I'd expect with 2-man. Start of the 2nd half home team came out flat (they were down 7ish at half) and V was on and built a large lead (15+ points). Evidently H-HC thought it was my fault since he started in mid-way through the 3rd about not calling fouls. During TOs he wanted to come out on the court and talk to me about "watching for fouls" instead of coaching his team. I warned him that he couldn't be half way across the court (literally).

In the 4th quarter (7/8 game) a ball goes OB right by H bench. I call white ball (which was correct) but point the wrong way (still not sure why). H-HC goes off saying it's their ball. I tell him I know it was and that's what I said (still not realizing that I pointed the wrong way). He tells me that I pointed the wrong way. I messed up, am sorry, again say white ball and get ready to put it in play. Then H-HC says "that's not the only time you messed up tonight!"

Tweet! T on HC. So, another first. What a game!

I'm sure it was a HTBT situation, but could you give me feedback about the T if you think it was good or not?

I'm not sure if this was a good night or a bad one due to all the firsts - that's still being sorted out in my head.

Hopefully I won't have another 1-man game in a long time. :o

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 07, 2009 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 565507)
Had a boys MS games last night - 2 games 5/6 and 7/8 grade combined (my 3rd this year/ever) and had the pleasure of doing it alone since my P didn't show. Ugh! Fortunately I've been reading here for a while and remembered the post(s) about 1-man games. I told the coaches before the game the it looked like I'd probably be the only one and would do the best I could but since I only have one pair of eyes and can't be everywhere I may miss some things.

I did the best I could; both coaches were pretty good for the first half, not complaining any more than I'd expect with 2-man. Start of the 2nd half home team came out flat (they were down 7ish at half) and V was on and built a large lead (15+ points). Evidently H-HC thought it was my fault since he started in mid-way through the 3rd about not calling fouls. During TOs he wanted to come out on the court and talk to me about "watching for fouls" instead of coaching his team. I warned him that he couldn't be half way across the court (literally).

In the 4th quarter (7/8 game) a ball goes OB right by H bench. I call white ball (which was correct) but point the wrong way (still not sure why). H-HC goes off saying it's their ball. I tell him I know it was and that's what I said (still not realizing that I pointed the wrong way). He tells me that I pointed the wrong way. I messed up, am sorry, again say white ball and get ready to put it in play. Then H-HC says "that's not the only time you messed up tonight!"

I'm sure it was a HTBT situation, but could you give me feedback about the T if you think it was good or not?

I'm not sure if this was a good night or a bad one due to all the firsts - that's still being sorted out in my head.

cdoug:

You did good.

MTD, Sr.

P.S.: Out of idle curosity (I hope I spelled that correctly, but problably didn't.) who were the two schools involved.

grunewar Wed Jan 07, 2009 08:02am

cdoug. Great story! Most, if not all of us have, been there, done that with eveything you described.

I was at a Freshman HS game last night where the ref did the first 7 min of the game by himself on a LARGE court. While the coaches chirped, I thought he did a pretty good job. He really got in one coaches face early though.

I personally like calling the coaches together before the game and saying - look, I can see the ball and watch it - but don't be looking for me to call off-ball illegal screen contact, three seconds, who the ball went off in the corner when I'm at the free throw line opposite side, etc. You just can't see it all!

I would venture to say many of us have pointed in the worng direction or used the wrong hand and arm signal in the past. Just explain it and move on.

As for the T - only you really know whether it was good or not. But, sounds ok to me. You can only take so much "chirping" and an attack on your person or character should never be tolerated. Seat belting him is fine IMO!

mick Wed Jan 07, 2009 08:15am

Quote:

Good "T". He got personal.

beachbum Wed Jan 07, 2009 08:20am

I have been fortunate not to have had to do a one man game, came close a couple of times though.

I thought that if I did, I would stay somewhere out past the 28 foot line and move to the middle of the court if the ball goes away from me. When the teams move to the other basket I would switch sides if the ball went that way, by just crossing as the ball moved over the half court line.

Is that considered proper technique?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 07, 2009 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 565510)
I personally like calling the coaches together before the game and saying - look, I can see the ball and watch it - but don't be looking for me to call off-ball illegal screen contact, three seconds, who the ball went off in the corner when I'm at the free throw line opposite side, etc. You just can't see it all!

Personally, I would never say something like that before the game to the coaches. Why put negative thoughts into their heads? Just hustle, do the job the best you can, and use that line if the coach complains about a call.

grunewar Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 565525)
Personally, I would never say something like that before the game to the coaches. Why put negative thoughts into their heads? Just hustle, do the job the best you can, and use that line if the coach complains about a call.

Bob, I certainly understand that school of thought as we've had these discussions on the Forum before. I just find this approach is what I feel comfortable with..... and frankly, I hope I don't have to use it too often.

cdoug Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 565509)
P.S.: Out of idle curosity (I hope I spelled that correctly, but problably didn't.) who were the two schools involved.

MTD, Sr.:

Check your PMs

Raymond Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:11am

My pre-game: "I'll do the best I can but I'm definitely not going to take any sh!t. " :D

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:24am

When I'm alone, coaches get less allowance for questioning calls.

Easy T, good job.

RANCHMAN Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:43am

One Man Mechanics

I cannot remember where I found this article regarding one man mechanics, however it has given me more confidence when my partner is a no show.

- THE ART OF ONE-PERSON MECHANICS -
Sooner or later every referee works alone. Sometimes your co-official has an emergency, and it is too late to find a replacement. More commonly, your assignor does not have enough officials on a particular date and you receive the honor. Manuals and training in two- and three-person mechanics are readily available, but no formal training exists for one person mechanics. This article intends to provide effective tools and guidelines for performing at a high level as a crew of one.
Most importantly, do not panic. You can do this. Staring wistfully out the gym door and frantically searching among the fans, or (worse) the assistant coaches, for a suitable partner is a waste of valuable time. You are now the R in the game. Act the part. Take care of all normal pre-game duties.
Working solo requires special attention to these key areas:
Table: Inform the scorekeeper that once he or she makes eye contact with you during a foul, the report will be made without further eye contact (more on this later). Table personnel should be prepared to assist you if you question whether or not a shot went in the basket.
PLAYERS: Gather all starting players just before the jump ball, and explain these situation. 1. If you request help on an out of bounds call, the call will be made by the players (players always know this one anyway). If opposing players disagree on the call, you will award the ball according to the possession arrow. Any disagreement at all, period - goes to the arrow. 2. Inbounds plays may require you to make some unusually long bounce passes to the inbounder, even to the point of passing the ball through parts of the playing floor, and these passes must reach the inbounder without interference. 3, In addition to retrieving loose balls you will expect them to hold the ball during any report to the table until you request it.
Coaches: Let them know that you will be far too busy to converse with them during the course of the contest.
Now you are ready to toss it up. If you understand three person mechanics you will work primarily from the C and T positions. Work from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. Do not go to the baseline or lead position unless absolutely necessary for play coverage. Drives to the basket will be officiated from behind the play while closing down toward the baseline to maintain an angle. Intelligent sacrifices must be made in off ball coverage. For example, opposing players more than six feet apart do not need your attention. Maintain a wide field of view and referee through the play. Otherwise, it is business as usual with a few exceptions as follows.
• Always work opposite the table. If the play takes you to the tableside get back to the opposite side as soon as play will allow you to cross the floor. If you have a foul call while tableside, go opposite before you stop to report.
• Foul reports: Stay wide of the players. Move to a spot, stop, and stand still to facilitate a clear report. Glance at the scorekeeper to make sure you have his or her attention, then give the report without taking your eyes off the players. You work and report from table opposite so your back is never to the players.
• Free throws: Administer all attempts from the trail position facing the table.
• Inbounds plays: This one requires common sense on your part. Obtain a position that allows you to see the whole play and bounce the ball to the inbounder from that spot, even if you must pass it between players. Inform the players of where you will pass the ball in unusual situations and say the word "play" as soon as you are certain the inbounder has secured the ball.
• Time outs: I recommend standing in the center circle facing the table. Do not forget the spot if an inbounds play follows the time out.
• Transition o ffense: T rail the p lay s lightly. D o n of ne glect the p layers t hat are trailing but focus on the action at the point of attack.
• Pressure defense: Maintain position even with or one step ahead of the ball and stay as wide as possible.
• Trouble spots: The most difficult play coverage occurs when the ball goes to the comer on the other side of the floor. It usually helps to move toward the division line and into the middle of the floor as long as you can stay clear of players at the top of the key. Do not get caught out there in transition.
These recommendations are made with the hope that you will land your next solo flight without incident. Feel free to modify to fit your style or situation as needed. A crew of one is certainly not the ideal situation, but if you can get the players to work with you, a solo game can be a very rewarding experience. In fact, you may be amazed at how well the players respond with one referee and what great sportsmanship they often exhibit in this situation.

This probably will not help everyone, but maybe a few officials could benefit from these mechanics.
Have a Blessed Day!

Mark

Rich Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12am

Thank goodness WI doesn't allow a WIAA game at any level to start with one official. They'd find somebody licensed to work or we wouldn't have a game.

fullor30 Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:16am

Quote:

Sounds like you did a very nice job............congrats

fullor30 Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 565591)
Thank goodness WI doesn't allow a WIAA game at any level to start with one official. They'd find somebody licensed to work or we wouldn't have a game.

Really????

chartrusepengui Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 565595)
Really????

Yep - I kinda like it!!:D