The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

I have had my entire schedule since early November. This is standard for our association annually. So far this is the only assignor I have so an availability schedule is not an issue.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I have a game on February 8, 2011. Yes, I know that's 25 months from now.
Rich, I hope it's close to your home: the forecast in WI is terrible for that day!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Rich, I hope it's close to your home: the forecast in WI is terrible for that day!
I was at a school earlier this season and had the following story related to me:

Volleyball official didn't show for a match contracted 2 years earlier. AD was annoyed and started calling other schools to let them know of the official's unreliability. One caller knew the guy and said, "Um, you know he's dead, right?"

I figure between football, basketball, and baseball if I should happen to die while still an active official, I'll have about 90 dates still on the calendar. For football I have 5 varsity dates on the books for 2011 (three conferences just tell me to hold certain weeks and I have commitments from them for 3 years in advance that renew each year unless I hear from them).

My biggest current problem is my business travel. I take the games and then just have to find replacements when I'm asked to travel on business. 3 games from the 16th to the 24th just replaced as I'm going to Europe. Some commissioners do not like that and I pretty much lost a conference cause I had to turn back about half of my conference dates I had received 2 years earlier. But like I told the commissioner, when my officiating pays my mortgage, I can make it the top priority -- until then, it's gotta be the day job. Most assignors understand this.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I have approximately 25 varsity dates for next year and just received 6 for 2011 this past weekend. My varsity schedule is completely set for next year by the end of March with the exception of make-up dates and tournament assignments. Lower level games are usually set by October.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've noticed that when ADs have to schedule the officials, they go way in advance (years). When they have assigners, the schedules are typically done much closer to game day (within a month or two).
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Wow...Very interesting thread. We have our schedule set before the season starts and beyond. I'm not extremely established with the assignors in basketball so I'm going year-to-year. However, in baseball I'm a year ahead in scheduling. I don't know if I could go week-by-week for scheduling, shew

-Josh
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've noticed that when ADs have to schedule the officials, they go way in advance (years). When they have assigners, the schedules are typically done much closer to game day (within a month or two).
the ones I got over weekend for 2011 came from assigners who in our case are called conference commissioners.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's the opposite here. Of course, each conference has a commissioner that assigns and competes with the other commissioners in getting officials lined up. So it's like an AD who hires for 6-12 schools.

Personally, I like the system. I moved here, made a lot of calls, sent a lot of letters and emails, and built up a full schedule (35+ varsity games) within a year. I worked 18 varsity games my first season here having only started looking for games in August (and remember, most schedules are done 1-2 years out). Other officials have been here 7 years or more and grumble about not being able to land varsity dates. I always wonder if they put the time and effort in that I do.

Having one assignor? Nah. I remember being in that situation and getting 2 games a week. Sometimes 1, as the assignor had to spread out the schedule across the whole group of officials. So I'd either have to work middle school or freshman or not work (and actually, varsity officials weren't allowed to work down, so it was really "not work" unless the guy was really in a bind). Here I can work as much or as little as I want and I control (to a certain extent) how much I work, how far I drive, etc. (when I complain about the length of a drive, it's self-inflicted). And if one assignor decides not to use me (it's happened) I can still work a full schedule at the level I want to work. And I can drop a conference where the coaches are out of control (it's happened).
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

The land of OZ

In the KC area of KS:

Two of three college leagues use Arbiter and one uses their own system. I use the same calendar for both Arbiter. They assign in August/September after the camps.

1 HS Commissioner(29 schools, B&G) uses manual system and schedules for the season in November. 1 HS(5 schools, B&G) commissioner uses ISocs and schedules for the season in August. 1 HS commissioner(13 schools, B&G & competitive leagues, tournaments etc.) uses Arbiter. I use the same calendar for the college games.

Coordinating my business calendar, personal calendar, 3 arbiters, 1 isocs, 1 homegrown and 1 manual system are a real challenge. Personal opinion is same as one above on arbiter vs. the rest. Arbiter is much better by a wide margin. I call isocs "I S&cks" No emails about games can not block enough dates to handle all the games I work etc.

I have work in multiple states and areas, IN, IL(twice), KY, CT, MO, KS and they are all different. I have found that the larger the supply of referees the shorter the schedule time is unless the AD is scheduling. AD's all schedule way out. I have also found that the more commishes that you work for the more disorder there is in the systems. You can never keep them all happy. Suburban Chicago was by far the hardest area to work due to number of commishes, traffic and real job.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I know I have a game tonight, tomorrow and Saturday. Our assignor assigns week by week which has its advantages and disadvantages. I know I won't to turn back assignments very often. But it would also be nice to know my schedule ahead of time. My college schedule is worked ahead of time but I only do about a dozen college games per year.

As a side note, our high school assignor is very old school. He does not own a computer nor a cell phone. He assigns for approximately 55 officials. You can imagine the confusion during an emergency. You have to hope he's home when you call.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The Arbiter is much better. I can be assigned two games on the same day. I can list one availability calendar for one person and another calendar for different person.

I can also cross out schools on the Arbiter and make it clear on certain days I cannot travel a certain distance. ABW.net is just garbage and if someone in my area was not trying to sell the program people might use the Arbiter. And there are so many problems with emails and stuff that I get from ABW it is annoying.

Do not get me wrong, both are decent programs that you can get games online much easier. But I cannot stand the problems ABW have caused and how it is used. I am probably more disappointed about how it is used, but the Arbiter has much more flexibility.

Peace

I'll second that.................no comparison
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I was at a school earlier this season and had the following story related to me:

Volleyball official didn't show for a match contracted 2 years earlier. AD was annoyed and started calling other schools to let them know of the official's unreliability. One caller knew the guy and said, "Um, you know he's dead, right?"

I figure between football, basketball, and baseball if I should happen to die while still an active official, I'll have about 90 dates still on the calendar. For football I have 5 varsity dates on the books for 2011 (three conferences just tell me to hold certain weeks and I have commitments from them for 3 years in advance that renew each year unless I hear from them).

My biggest current problem is my business travel. I take the games and then just have to find replacements when I'm asked to travel on business. 3 games from the 16th to the 24th just replaced as I'm going to Europe. Some commissioners do not like that and I pretty much lost a conference cause I had to turn back about half of my conference dates I had received 2 years earlier. But like I told the commissioner, when my officiating pays my mortgage, I can make it the top priority -- until then, it's gotta be the day job. Most assignors understand this.
For exactly the reasons you listed, why is there a need to schedule two years in advance? I've never understood this.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:49am
Ch1town

Compared to other regions, I feel blessed! I work in 12 HS leagues for 5 different assignors. We have an officials varsity "draw" in October & everyone has their schedule for the entire season by early November.

Post-season assignments are the only thing we have to wait on. I couldn't imagine getting games on a weekly basis.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Our assignor assigns week by week which has its advantages and disadvantages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Coordinating my business calendar, personal calendar, 3 arbiters, 1 isocs, 1 homegrown and 1 manual system are a real challenge. Personal opinion is same as one above on arbiter vs. the rest. Arbiter is much better by a wide margin.
I fall somewhere in here.

First, I block my son's HS Schedule. Then one Assignor has given me all my weekday/weekend morning games for the season (spreadsheet) and another, has given me my weekend afternoon games for the season (also spreadsheet). League playoffs/All-Star games are always a joy in March.

These three schedule are applied to my MS Office and Arbiter calendars (synched with my blackberry). Then My HS Assignor gets what's remaining and schedules these games about a week out (usually three dates per week).

Like many, I certainly am on the go and do a lot of juggling this time of yr and actually can't wait until my son's out of HS (one less variable).

PS - My wife thinks I'm an idiot! Until of course those end of season checks start rolling in and she helps me decide what to do with OUR money!!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
For exactly the reasons you listed, why is there a need to schedule two years in advance? I've never understood this.
It's what the commissioners want to do. And they like to lock down people in advance. Replacing a handful of people is easier than looking to fill hundreds of slots, I'd suppose.