The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

In a response from my thread on Turnback of Games Jim P mentioned the following:

Turning back assignments is absolutely wrong. It makes your assignor pull his hair out

Ok I can fully understand that as I have assigned games in my local LL organization. However, why is it that assignors frown when an umpire does his / her due diligence and gets his / her own replacement?

In the association I belong to each member has a Master list of all the umpires, however, it is unacceptable for an umpire to get their own replacement in case they can't make a game.

I can undertsand that there are certain games, like Playoffs, Sectionals or any other "Big" Game in which an assignor wants to have control over. But for the life of me I can't undertsand why an assignor would have a problem with an umpire getting their own replacement concerning an everyday run of the mill type game.

Therefore, concerning turnback of games, IMO assignors are sometimes their own worst enemy and create unnecessary headaches because they want to have TOTAL CONTROL.

As mentioned I assigned games for our local LL association and if you think assigning games (when the individuals get paid) is difficult try assigning games when individuals are volunteering. With the exception of playoff games and ALL Stars, I had no problem (and even encouraged it) when individuals got their own replacement.

Therefore, in conclusion perhaps this whole issue of assignors tearing their hair out when someone turns back a game can be easily avoided if they loosen the reins a little more.

Ok assignors Your turn

Pete Booth
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Pete, we've all discussed errors we've made on the field.
It's happened before, and it will continue to happen. Errors occur in different magnitudes.
Sometimes these errors may have caused a $hithou$e to erupt. You, as an umpire, may not be knowledgeable about the game last week or 2 weeks ago where this occurred. You may not be aware of the details of the entire situation. When you replace yourself, you may be putting last week's cause on the same team(s).

What I'm saying is that as an assignor, I am aware of many things regarding the schedule that umpires are not aware of: umpires being scratched for various reasons, how many times an ump has had the same team, past personality problems, balancing overall crew strength, etc. Too often when I've allowed someone to fill their own vacancy, their primary concern is just putting a body in blue on the field. That may satisfy some assignors; it does not satisy me or the league that chose me to assign.

I am responsible for putting qualified and capable umpires on the particular contest. When I ask others NOT to fill their own vacancy, that leaves me in control of my responsibility. If you fill it, I'm not in control of my responsibility. It's very embarrassing to an assignor when the league commissioner calls up to discuss a problem that occurred on a field, and as the assignor you're not aware the ump involved in the problem was even assigned to the contest.

Additionally, as an assignor I have made "commitments" to umpires to use them within their parameters. If you fill that vacancy, then I may have lost an opportunity to keep my commitment to someone else. I've also had some umpires attempt to take games with the idea they'll "give them to their buddy." Well, it may not be "buddy" that I want on that game.

First and foremost, Pete, and unlike our democracy..........
Not all umpires are created equal.

I'm very honest and fair with the umps that work with me, I expect the same in return. Dealing truthful and honest upfront minimizes many of the problems of having vacancies to be refilled.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

As an assignor I am responsible for making sure everyone is within their means and everyone is given the chance to have equal access to games.

Having someone fill their own vacancy is taking me out of the loop. Also, I have their preferences in mind. Not everyone likes everyone else. If you fill your own vacancy, you may be disrupting that cohesiveness and security that someone has.

Let the assignor assign. Just keep us updated. And by no means...don't grab every opportunity that comes your way, then filter out what you want and don't want. Major Pet Peeve!!!!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Life of an assignor............

Ironically, Pete, I received the following email today.
Although not meant to apply toward assigning, it is very fitting............

For your enjoyment:

December 1
TO: ALL EMPLOYEES
I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23rd at Luigi's Open Pit Barbecue. There will be lots of spiked eggnog and a small band playing traditional carols...feel free tosing along. And don't be surprised if our CEO shows up dressed as SantaClaus to light the Christmas tree! Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be over $10. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Patty Lewis
Human Resources Director

December 2nd
In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees.We recognize that, Hanukkah is an important holiday that often coincides with Christmas (though unfortunately not this year). However, from now on we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to employees who are celebrating Kwanzaa at this time. There will be no Christmas tree and no Christmas carols sung. Happy Holidays to you andyour family.
Patty Lewis
Human Resources Director

December 3rd
Regarding the anonymous note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table, I'm happy to accommodate this request, but, don't forget, if I put a sign on the table that reads, "AAOnly," you won't be anonymous anymore. In addition, forget about the gift exchange-no gifts will be allowed since the union members feel that$10 is too much money.
Patty Lewis
Human Researchers Director

December 7th
I've arranged for members of Overeaters Anonymous to sit farthest from the dessert buffet and pregnant women closest to the restrooms. Gays are allowed to sit with each other. Lesbians do not have to sit with the gaymen; each will have their own table. Yes, there will be a flower arrangement for the gay men's table. Happy now?
Patty Lewis
Human Racehorses Director

December 9th
People, people-nothing sinister was intended by wanting our CEO to play Santa Claus! Even if the anagram of "Santa" does happen to be "Satan,"there is no evil connotation to our own "little man in a red suit."
Patty Lewis
Human Ratraces

December 10th
Vegetarians-I've had it with you people!! We're going to hold this party at Luigi's Open Pit whether you like it or not, you can just sit at the table farthest from the grill of death," as you put it, and you'll get salad bar only, including hydroponic tomatoes. But, you know, tomatoes have feelings, too. They scream when you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing them right now...Ha! I hope you all have a rotten holiday! Drive drunk and die, you hear me?
The B_itch from Hell

December 14th
I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery from her stress-related illness. I'll continue to forward your cards to her at the sanitarium. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd off with full pay.
Happy Holidays!
Terri Bishop
Acting Human Resources Director
Who said you can't be all things to all people

There are expectations of an assignor few have knowledge of, Pete.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Pete: I now assign for two associations. One is one of the largest high school/college association in the northwest, the other is a large youth ball association. From my frame of reference:

When I assign a game I have put two people who not only work well together, but whose skills, personality and experiece compliment one another and are suited for the level of game, coaches and history of the competition. Additionally, I have worked hard to fairly assign games so that each umpire gets his desired fill of assignments.

When someone attempts to replace him/herself any or many of the above factors and goals may be thwarted and possibly to such an extreme that a major sh@t house occurs.

I do not attempt to control assignments for some ridiculous feeling of power; I control assignments so that the games, coaches, players, school histories and tendencies, and umpires are best served.

Can you do that with a quick phone call to someone on your list?

That said, if you call me with a cancellation and tell me that you've talkled to a couple of umps who are available and willing to replace you, I will appreciatively make note of the name and consider them first as I check out the game and possible replacements. If they fit the bill, I'll use them.