The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

The responses to Moose's original thread on True Confessions has reached 5 deep, however in reading the various responses I think a new topic has emerged which IMO might benefit everyone namely Do what your association Preaches . Also, included in this topic is MOVING UP
So I guess it's a combined thread of Pleasing your assignor and Moving Up all roled into 1.

There are others with a lot more experience than I, but I though this new topic would get "the ball rolling" in a different direction to discuss what IMO is at the heart of many of the latest responses to Moose's original Thread Namely - In Rome do as the Romans Do

I have been HS certified for 4 yrs. now and in my short tenure, I've noticed that there is the Gospel according to St. Luke and then there is reality.

Each association has their "Quirks" and it's up to you to discover those.

Umpiring in a way is no different than working in our daily jobs. There are many ways of doing things but the one that counts is "how we please our bosses" as this determines our compensation and promotional opportunities.

Ok if you guys think this is worthwhile Let's run with it

Pete Booth

Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

HHH's original "blasphemy" was simply a very small part of the "please your assignor" book.

Since you started it Petey.. let's cover Chapter One in PLEASE YOUR ASSIGNER.

WORK WORK WORK (often in manure).

I only know my Assoc. But it's a biggy and covers probably 10 or more different types of ball, from 13-14s.. through HS Varsity, through summer selects (CM, of course), through MSBL. and College. Some ball is good.. some ain't so good.

Mr. Assigner has to cover 100s and 100s of games. Let me tell you about @$%^&#%. How about a Junior High School (Freshman game)? You think the "big dawgs" will touch these games with a 10 foot antler? Not on your life. In fact, many big dogs pack it in early in the season, not touching adult ball. Many won't do a game of Kofax (13-14s) and simply won't work.

We have a crisis period each season where many games go UNFILLED and many 2 man games become 1 man.. .ugh.

Guys that STEP UP and do a "crap" game get in the assigners good graces... Guys that STEP UP and go from their 9 and Noon double header.. to a 6pm Jr Legion game with NO coverage get in good graces. Guys that can CHANGE on 3 hours notice from a good game HERE... to a not-so-good game OVER THERE get the perks.

Oh.. BTW: stay tuned for Chapter 9... Single Malt Scotch.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Be Available Value Your Integrity

I have read HHH's Business Of Umpiring theories on other boards. I do not disagree with some of Peter's customer service driven attitudes but I do take exception to pleasing the customer by changing the game. I would much prefer clinics for coaches, inviting league presidents to the annual association dinner as well as other perks that say in effect -- we value your business but you run the league and we'll do the umpiring. If it becomes necessary to explain a rule by all means make yourself available.

I did high school ball on Long Island for six years and moved up to Varsity after three. I saw umpires refuse to officiate certain schools because those coaches gave generally low ratings. One of the top six rated umpires was a 30+ year teacher who didn't belong on a JV field and most umpires knew it. I don't think any of us know about an umpire's ability on the field from umpire bulletin boards. I left basically because I refused to buy into a rating system that was 90% driven by what coaches thought about my umpiring ability. I didn't get to rate their coaching and some of it was pretty abysmal.

I umpire for the money and I know it is important to have guys who give good availablity especially on weekends. I am willing to do Little League, girls softball etc. although I mostly do Connie Mack games once the summer begins. In fact two summers i.e. 1993 and 1994 umpiring was really important as I was out of work on and off those two years. I do not need the money badly enough that I would compromise my integrity as an umpire. You can make good money, keep your assignor happy, and officiate within the rules by taking serious your job as an official and displaying good interpersonal skills. Jim/NY